Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Heater - Free standing ?

Options
  • 29-10-2012 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Would anyone know of a Free Standing Storage Heater ? rather than one always locked to the wall ?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I don't think there's such a thing. They weigh a fair bit once the bricks have been put into them that's why they need to be fixed to the wall.

They wouldn't be classed as a portable electrical appliance anyway they're usually connected via a DP switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I would have thought that even a small one with only a few bricks would be quite effective ? and with the price of electricity ..... a LOT cheaper to run !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you can prob plug one in if you have nightsaver-up to a 2kw might be ok plugged in
    -they're normally on dedicated circuits

they wouldn't be free standing because of the weight and they're not designed to be portable

Piliger wrote: »
    I would have thought that even a small one with only a few bricks would be quite effective ? and with the price of electricity ..... a LOT cheaper to run !

the bricks weight a **** ton,

Theres 16 in a normal heater and the average man can lift about 4 comfortably.
    So a free standing one would be a pain in the hoop

Yeah I can see what you mean ... but even if it only had 4 or 5 bricks and was on wheels like a lot of oil heaters it would be handy in some situations ....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yeah I can see what you mean ... but even if it only had 4 or 5 bricks and was on wheels like a lot of oil heaters it would be handy in some situations ....

I think you would be better off with an oil filled rad. Same running cost, instant heat, fit for purpose and less chance of it falling over a squashing someone to death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A free standing storage heater is a contradiction to itself.

i assume he has nightsaver when he's asking this question
    there would be no benefit over an oil filled rad (which is cheaper to purchase) on a single tarriff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

2011 wrote: »
    I think you would be better off with an oil filled rad. Same running cost, instant heat, fit for purpose and less chance of it falling over a squashing someone to death

Tesco Clarehall selling them for 33 euro at the moment.

About 5 left as of 11pm tonight.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

M cebee wrote: »
    i assume he has nightsaver when he's asking this question
    there would be no benefit over an oil filled rad (which is cheaper to purchase) on a single tarriff

The type of electric heater will not determine the tariff.

• Advertisement

The type of electric heater will not determine the tariff.

you must be misreading my post:confused:
    i was saying there's no benefit to the hypothetical 'free-standing SH ' without an existing cheaper off-peak rate

M cebee wrote: »
    you must be misreading my post:confused:
    i was saying there's no benefit to the hypothetical 'free-standing SH ' without an existing cheaper off-peak rate
    True.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

paddy147 wrote: »
    Tesco Clarehall selling them for 33 euro at the moment.

About 5 left as of 11pm tonight.

Argos are selling 1KW oil filled heaters for €25 reduced from €50

Not the same running costs. Storage heaters use cheap electricity at night.

Not the same running costs. Storage heaters use cheap electricity at night.

All appliances use cheap rate electricity when dual tarriff meters are installed and it is an off peak time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

All appliances use cheap rate electricity when dual tarriff meters are installed and it is an off peak time.

there's no decent thermal mass in an oil filled rad, to "charge up"

Dardania wrote: »
    there's no decent thermal mass in an oil filled rad, to "charge up"
    Not that I am aware of.

The thermal properties of oil are very different to the concrete blocks in a storage heater. Oil dissipates heat rapidly making it unsuitable for "storing" heat but ideal for transferring it rapidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Would anyone know of a Free Standing Storage Heater ? rather than one always locked to the wall ?

I used to design storage heaters. Ive never heard of a free standing one. The 'bricks' are made from iron ferrite and its to heavy not to be fixed to a wall. A new heater, the Quantum is due out this summer. Test results indicate that it will be cheaper to run than either oil or gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

what about this, glides along and all you need is a bottle of gas:)

http://www.devielle.ie/range/electric.php

initial cost might be high though.

Advertisement