Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween

Options
  • 29-10-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭

Someone at work was saying Letterkenny were planning on doing Halloween celebrations this year in a bid to compete with Derry, but all I see mentioned is the thing in the afternoon. Nothing about a fireworks display and doesn't look like many of the clubs will be open.

Anyone else hear of Halloween celebrations taking place around the town? Or do I have to head to Derry if I want to get a party atmosphere?
    And on that note, what's the story with parking if I do go to Derry? Since I don't drink I figured I could drive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Whatever they do it ain't going to compete with Derry. Derry is now the biggest Hallowe'en Festival in Europe afaik.

As for parkig in Derry, you can only get so close to the city centre and you will have to walk. If you know Sainsburys on the Strand Road,, that was as far as you could go last year or two. You parked up in Sainsburys car park, and walked up along the quayside walk to the city centre. Its a 15min walk at most.

If you've never been into Derry for the festival, I would advise you to give it a go at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ah, I know LK wouldn't be able to compete but was thinking more for handiness(read laziness) sake. :p

Yeah, I know Sainsburys. I guess Magee would be another possibility. Anywhere on the other side, as I may be going via Strabane? Would be collecting someone else on the way and would rather not have to double back. Cheers for the help

Last time was there for Halloween was about 11 years ago in my Magee college days. :)

I am not sure where the cordons are on the other side of town tbh, sorry.
    I would always be coming from the Foyle Bridge direction.

Another good vantage point for the fireworks display, but one which has become busy over the years, is the roundabout in the waterside at the top of the hill as you go past the railway station, the road you climb up to that gives a view over to the Cityside on your left.

Edit: here is DDC'c official travel info for the night
    http://campaign.derrycity.gov.uk/advice-and-information/Traffic-and-Travel-Info

Cool. I'd say most will use the Foyleside if driving and leave before it closes while most of the ones staying won't be driving. But I'd say your suggestion to use Sainsbury's would be handy since can watch from the walkway while going down the town.

Only downside will be walking back with my more than likely drunk and complaining passenger. :) Now to wait for word as to whether or not I'll be going.

btw, heard anyone dressed as Jimmy Savile won't be getting into any bars!

Bear it in mind.;)

• Advertisement

Crap! Gary Glitter it is then.

Nah, won't be doing anything that involves too much work

Yeah do something, anything, cos there is nothing that makes you feel more out of place on Hallowe'en night in Derry than not dressing up.

You stand out like a sore thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 therandomguy

Does anyone know if there are taxis running for those of us that do not want to walk in to the centre from Sainsburys?

Advertisement