Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Velvet cake - where to buy in Dublin?

Options
  • 29-10-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello there,
    I was just wondering if anyone knows of a bakery who sell red velvet cupcakes or a red velvet layer cake in the Dublin area? It's for my friend's birthday & whilst I know I can make it, I don't trust my baking skills enough to be able to master the recipe by Friday! All help would be greatly appreciated ☺thanks ☺

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

The Lorraine Pascale recipe for red velvet cake is very easy. I've used the recipe to make both a cake and cupcakes. Everyone loved them. I'd appreciate the effort of someone making me the cakes rather then buying them made. I think you should give it a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's a fairly simple cake. Standard vanilla sponge, just with added red food colouring when you are mixing.

Then put a cream-cheese icing on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

pwurple wrote: »
    It's a fairly simple cake. Standard vanilla sponge, just with added red food colouring when you are mixing.

Any red velvet cake I've ever had/made has been a buttermilk based cake with cocoa & would have been a bit different to a normal vanilla sponge. I made the Hummingbird bakery recipe for a birthday a few months ago and it went down a treat. I can't think of anywhere off the top of my head in Dublin that makes red velvet cakes OP, you might get a better answer on the Dublin City forum or if you were to look up a few places that make cupcakes/american style bakes in Dublin & give them a buzz

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

pwurple wrote: »

It's definitely not a standard sponge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Red Velvet as mentioned isn't a standard vanilla sponge, it has buttermilk, cocoa, and often vinegar in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Pity yr not in Cork, cupcake cottage do a savage one ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

Hello there,
    I was just wondering if anyone knows of a bakery who sell red velvet cupcakes or a red velvet layer cake in the Dublin area? It's for my friend's birthday & whilst I know I can make it, I don't trust my baking skills enough to be able to master the recipe by Friday! All help would be greatly appreciated ☺thanks ☺

I saw Red Velvet Cupcakes in Johnny Cupcakes in Liffey Valley on Sunday - they have kiosks in a few other places too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

datk wrote: »
    I saw Red Velvet Cupcakes in Johnny Cupcakes in Liffey Valley on Sunday - they have kiosks in a few other places too.

There's a Johnny Cupcakes in Stephen's Green too. I've never had their cakes, but the red velvet cupcakes are delicious. Not quite as good as the Hummingbird Cafe, but nearly there!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chuckster

there's a food market in Fitzwilliam Square every Friday & there's a cupcake stand that do THE most amazing red velvet cupcakes that I've ever eaten.

amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Poppies in Eniskerry and Dun Laoighre stock a full size Red velvet cake on occasion and can order them in when requested. Very tasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

g'em wrote: »
    There's a Johnny Cupcakes in Stephen's Green too. I've never had their cakes, but the red velvet cupcakes are delicious. Not quite as good as the Hummingbird Cafe, but nearly there!

They used to be in Charlestown Shopping Centre - their cakes a nice - not gorgeous.

I've used the RV Hummingbird recipe loads and they are gorgeous - I'd recommend the cookery book, the vanilla sponge is very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

They sell Red Velvet cake in the gourmet food parlour in swords.. and it is absolutely amazing.. you can buy it by the slice, I would say it is expensive for the full cake..

but it is amazing.

NYOM

Advertisement