Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teams from your youth - ah, those were the days

• 29-10-2012 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,078 ✭✭✭✭

I got to thinking about clubs that were famous when I really started to get into football that, although may be around now, are no longer successful clubs (at least by Europeans standards).

This would have been around the late 70s/early 80s.

Here's some for now. Just to always think they were so exotic when they were talked about on Sportsnight or in Shoot magazine.

Fortuna Dusseldorf
    Carl Zeiss Jena
    Saint Etienne
    Dinamo Tbilisi
    Bastia
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Cologne/Koln

Any other great names from these times?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Steaua Bucharest came to mind for me.

Monaco and Parma were also big deals when I was young but not so much nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Red Star Belgrade are the team for me, winning the European Cup against the odds, admittedly in a fairly negative way, but a wins a win. Also have a nice away shirt from their less successful phase too.

(Have a cracking Saint Etienne shirt from mid nineties too, the french certainly know how to squeeze as many sponsors in a shirt as possible)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I remember liverpool getting beat by a decent Genoa team 2-0 when I was a young fella. I remember listening to that game on the radio for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Cameroon. I was a fan straight away after seeing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

IFK Goteborg, Red Star Belgrade, Rangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Honved. My bro had some Man Utd annual thing, reviewed every match, and they were in it.

Human, how are Carl Zeiss Jenna a name for you? I only know of them now due to Enkes book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Unterhaching, Foggia, Cremonese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Real Zaragoza ¬¬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,078 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Mushy wrote: »
    Honved. My bro had some Man Utd annual thing, reviewed every match, and they were in it.

Human, how are Carl Zeiss Jenna a name for you? I only know of them now due to Enkes book.

No idea, I always remember their name from my younger days. They were East German weren't they? They must have been in European competition back in the day.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    I remember liverpool getting beat by a decent Genoa team 2-0 when I was a young fella. I remember listening to that game on the radio for some reason.

I remember that game well, Branco scored.

And the amazing big flag the Genoa fans had that basically covered one full side of the pitch. It was unfurled behind the teams as they lined up and then the 'pool team turned to applaud and you could see the shock on some of their faces at this huge banner.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruISFobstto

Check out 1:40 in this clip to see the huge banner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRXiwFgRl1Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

NIMAN wrote: »
    No idea, I always remember their name from my younger days. They were East German weren't they? They must have been in European competition back in the day.

Speaking of Jena, they have my support this year. They were relegated into the Regionalliga Northeast and will be the main challengers to the Red Bull franchise for a spot in the playoffs.

Go on boys, f*ck red bull :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Rotor Volgograd. Legia Warsaw. Pecsi Munkas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

This is no joke, but Manchester United. Despite being a Leeds fan from birth (Essentially), I did follow United quite a bit in my childhood at around the time of Rio's drugs ban. It's lapsed now - they're just a club I know quite a bit about.

If anything, it seems I'm becoming a Liverpool fan instead, as aaron will tell us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Deportivo and Leeds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Nottingham Forest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Cameroon. I was a fan straight away after seeing this.

Interesting to see players harassed referee 22 years ago. The way people go on I thought football pre 2000s was full of honest pros who'd never do that kind of thing.

To be fair their teammate was just the victim of a serious assault!!

To be fair some of the names on here aren't really fitting the criteria I was hoping to get.

I mean Depor and Leeds are still very much on the go and still relatively big clubs. I'm talking more about ones that were big but which have more or less faded into obscurity (I know some will say Leeds have!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nottingham Forest (Cloughie era), Borrussia Monchengladbach (through whistling MW at night), Red Star Belgrade (just a cool name). Dynamo Kiev back when Valeriy Lobanovskyi was the Supreme Leader.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Aston Villa.

Interesting to see players harassed referee 22 years ago. The way people go on I thought football pre 2000s was full of honest pros who'd never do that kind of thing.

In fairness I think the British game at least may have have been more noble back in those days. Certainly I can recall a time when British teams looked down on foreign sides who had the gaul to "dive" etc. Heaven forbid! Nowadays they're just as bad at it (and the other negative things) as anyone else.

To be fair some of the names on here aren't really fitting the criteria I was hoping to get.

I mean Depor and Leeds are still very much on the go and still relatively big clubs. I'm talking more about ones that were big but which have more or less faded into obscurity (I know some will say Leeds have!).

In fairness Deportivo were just relegated season before last and haven't been in CL for years now despite being a pretty decent European team in the early 2000's. Monaco could be another one, from (shock) European finalists to Ligue 2.

I mean ha how far does the team have to fall into obscurity. Leeds only seem 'still big' because in Ireland we hear so much of the lower leagues in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

niallo27 wrote: »

Remember Tomáš Skuhravý playing and thinking "the big boys are in town".

Was of the age to follow Liverpool just as the mantle began to slip, tales of European glory were a distant memory and playing the likes of Strasbourg in 1997 (and Celta Vigo in 1998) were my idea of games against European heavyweights :)

OK ok, post who ever you want.

I was hinting more ones from the distant past of the 70s and 80s, not ones which were in CL Finals in the mid2000s (Monaco).

Depor are playing their footy along side Real Madrid and Barca these days.

Well my youth was just then but I get your point :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Speaking of Jena, they have my support this year. They were relegated into the Regionalliga Northeast and will be the main challengers to the Red Bull franchise for a spot in the playoffs.

No modern plastic club shall ever beat tradition :)

Anyway, for me it is Borussia Dortmund (it's just my home town), Liverpool (Kenny Dalglish was my childhood idol as a player) and Celtic, because Borussia Dortmund played them in the UEFA Cup in the late 80s and both sets of supporters had a great party in Dortmund's city centre.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    No modern plastic club shall ever beat tradition :)

Anyway, for me it is Borussia Dortmund (it's just my home town), Liverpool (Kenny Dalglish was my childhood idol as a player) and Celtic, because Borussia Dortmund played them in the UEFA Cup in the late 80s and both sets of supporters had a great party in Dortmund's city centre.

I want RB to do well :D

I think Liverpool and Celtic are 2 perfect examples of people ruining my little game!

OP - "I got to thinking about clubs that were famous when I really started to get into football that, although may be around now, are no longer successful clubs (at least by Europeans standards)"

People will be saying AC Milan next

• Advertisement

I think people aren't reading your op and are just posting the teams that remind them of their youth :D

How about Videoton? Two UEFA Cup finals in the 80's and are now in the Hungarian 2nd division.

(never saw them myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

EdenHazard wrote: »

Of course you do.

Explain....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

EdenHazard wrote: »

Which one? Salzburg or Leipzig? :D

Please explain ;)

Were Videoton mentioned in last weeks Europa League or did I imagine it?

• Advertisement

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Which one? Salzburg or Leipzig? :D

... or New Jersey New York?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

How about Videoton? Two UEFA Cup finals in the 80's and are now in the Hungarian 2nd division.

(never saw them myself)

One UEFA cup final and Hungarian league winners a season or two ago maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

St James' Gate

Iron Hide wrote: »
    One UEFA cup final and Hungarian league winners a season or two ago maybe?

Many apologies to Videoton fans out there.

One I remember was LKS Lodz, the crowd United beat in the qualifying round of the Champs leagues during the treble year.. Probably coz it was one of the first iron curtain teams i'd heard of aside from Red Star

• Advertisement

Probably coz it was one of the first iron curtain teams i'd heard of aside from Red Star

:confused:

You'd never even heard of Dynamo Kiev? Any of the Moscow teams? "Bigger" polish teams than Lodz like Legia Warsaw or Lech Poznan?

What?

Ipswich Town?

ya know? Exotic Ipswich and all that.

Ipswich Town?

Yeah a good one, I remember them being great in Europe and very entertaining. Now look at them!

Des wrote: »
    :confused:

You'd never even heard of Dynamo Kiev? Any of the Moscow teams? "Bigger" polish teams than Lodz like Legia Warsaw or Lech Poznan?

What?
    Well I was 7 years old in 1998....

Well I was 7 in 1998....

Well then, there was no such thing as an iron curtain in your lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I got to thinking about clubs that were famous when I really started to get into football that, although may be around now, are no longer successful clubs (at least by Europeans standards).

This would have been around the late 70s/early 80s.

Here's some for now. Just to always think they were so exotic when they were talked about on Sportsnight or in Shoot magazine.

Fortuna Dusseldorf
    Carl Zeiss Jena
    Saint Etienne
    Dinamo Tbilisi
    Bastia
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Cologne/Koln

Any other great names from these times?

Dusseldorf just got promoted, I'll have you know!!

How about Nottingham Forrest?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Des wrote: »
    Well then, there was no such thing as an iron curtain in your lifetime.
    Figure of speech bro..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oatesy23 wrote: »

Rasen Ballsport Leipzig, please. (They're not allowed to name a football club after a sponsor under German FA rules, or something like that).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Used to love Montpellier when I was a kid because of some shocking early 90s, pre-FIFA football game that had a load of European teams in it. They were, in my eyes, the best team in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement