Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teams from your youth - ah, those were the days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Foggia! Under Zemen! They were Italy's 'crazy gang'!

Also Rapid Wien come to mind as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Real Sociedad from 2002/2003!

Maybe not successful as such, but they came close and were class. Xabi Alonso, Karpin, de Pedro, Kovacevic, Nihat etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,078 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Phoenix wrote: »
    Torino

Didn't they have the worlds most expensive player once?

Lentini.

Think he cost £12million.

Edit: just googled him. And apparently it was them who sold him to Milan for £13million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Sturm Graz, Grasshopper Zurich, IFK Goteborg, Alaves, Nice et Nancy, Kaiserslautern. "Where are they dad? :eek::confused:"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I always had visions of the Lokomotiv Leipzig players working for the East German equivalent of C.I.E., driving Trains when they weren't playing football. Sadly, they dropped the Lokomotiv name after re-unification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Home Farm, Sporting Fingal, Galway United, Monaghan United, Cobh Ramblers, Dublin City

Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

NIMAN wrote: »
    Were Videoton mentioned in last weeks Europa League or did I imagine it?
    Indeed they were. I know because I'd never heard of the club before and googled them.

Luton Town is another one. Were a comfortable first division side for most of the 80s and into early 90s. Kenilworth Road had a plastic pitch which they used to their advantage. Got to two successive League Cup finals - shocked Arsenal in '88 but lost to Forest the next year.

Currently seeking promotion back from non league, having been in The Championship only 7 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Sturm Graz, Grasshopper Zurich, IFK Goteborg, Alaves, Nice et Nancy, Kaiserslautern. "Where are they dad? :eek::confused:"

Austrian Bundesliga winners in 2011. Kaiserslautern are in the German 2nd division.

For me Coventry City and Sheffield Wednesday would be teams who have faded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Hamburg, USSR (sponsored by CCCP) and EMFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Cant believe nobody has mentioned Ajax. From one of the top teams in Europe/ CL in much of the 90s to being a top team in a decent but ultimately feeder league, and otherwise merely a European group stage filler that few of the big boys lose too much sleep over (barring City lately of course).

Still produces good players who are snatched to Germany and England as soon as their class becomes apparent, I doubt it will ever reach its old heights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Preston North End, when they did the double!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

G.K. wrote: »
    This is no joke, but Manchester United. Despite being a Leeds fan from birth (Essentially), I did follow United quite a bit in my childhood at around the time of Rio's drugs ban. It's lapsed now - they're just a club I know quite a bit about.

If anything, it seems I'm becoming a Liverpool fan instead, as aaron will tell us.

It seems I misunderstood this thread's premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Sampdoria had a class team in the early 90s,lost to Barca in the 92 European Cup Final,Rangers coming very close to making the final of the Champions League in 93,just lost out by a point in the group stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The USSR

St Francis

• Advertisement

The USSR

St Francis

St Francis,ya remember them making the FAI Cup final in the early 90s

Ashtown Villa also pulled off a few shocks in the FAI Cup during that time

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

It can be argued by some people possibly, but I'd include Ajax and Feyenoord.
    Sampdoria had a class team in the early 90s,lost to Barca in the 92 European Cup Final,Rangers coming very close to making the final of the Champions League in 93,just lost out by a point in the group stage

Yup, Sampdoria for me as well. First talk of anything European football related was about them I vaguely remember. They were decent for a couple of years recently it must be said. Cassano and Pazzini were a fantastic duo for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

rc lens. i even had their jersey, massived crazy red and yellow stripes. horrible thing.

in fifa they used to have vladmir smicer and a striker called Drobnjak who was unreal. id get them every time, cheap but class.

one of them did the usual champ manager thing and went and became famous and won the champs league with liverpool.

the other guy.....not so much

St Francis,ya remember them making the FAI Cup final in the early 90s

Ashtown Villa also pulled off a few shocks in the FAI Cup during that time

Yeah 1990 i was at the final

Yeah 1990 i was at the final

Must have been one of the first finals to be played at Lansdowne Road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Looking on Wiki at the old CL, no wonder nobody teams did well, sure Shels were about 3 rounds off making a final. I guess you could argue more elite level but nah I think the sheer number of matches in CL today make it far more prestigous than before.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Hamburg, USSR (sponsored by CCCP)
    I assume you jest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Ajax
    St Etienne
    Aberdeen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Anderlecht and Standard Liege.

Belgian league was strong enough back then.

Feyenoord too. They had a little rivalry with a certain English club back in the day. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Carl Zeiss Jena - think its to do with a CWC QF against Newport County in the early 80s. S4C used to show the Welsh teams in Europe.
    IFK Goteborg
    Dynamo Tblisi - Won UEFA Cup in 1981 and played Waterford in an earlier round
    CSKA Sofia
    Dundee United - a UEFA Cup final and European Cup semi appearance in the 80s
    Mechelen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Zebra3 wrote: »

Belgian league was strong enough back then.

Feyenoord too. They had a little rivalry with a certain English club back in the day. ;)

Not to mention Bruges. Borussia Dortmund played them in the UEFA Cup 1987/88. First leg in Dortmund 3:0, being hammered 5:0 in Belgium :mad:

Belgian league was strong enough
    Easy for them when they were buying referees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

grenache wrote: »
    Easy for them when they were buying referees.

I was wondering how long it would take you.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Cork Hibs and Cork Celtic. Carl Zeiss Jena and FC Madgeburg are two east german teams I remember.

I remember listening to the away leg of the European Cup final on the radio in 1973 on BBC Radio(possibly 5 but not sure) which was Liverpool against Borussia Monchengladbach. They were such a powerhouse all through the 70s along with Liverpool but then they just disappeared altogether from the European scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Lazio. Deportiva La Coruna. PSV Eindhoven. Leeds

• Advertisement

Benimar wrote: »
    Carl Zeiss Jena - think its to do with a CWC QF against Newport County in the early 80s.

Highlights from that game does be on ESPN Classic every so often.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the Pride of the GDR, Berliner FC Dynamo. :pac:

Also, Newcastle United. Anyone remmeber them playing in the League of Ireland? :D

Cant believe nobody has mentioned Ajax. From one of the top teams in Europe/ CL in much of the 90s to being a top team in a decent but ultimately feeder league, and otherwise merely a European group stage filler that few of the big boys lose too much sleep over (barring City lately of course).

Still produces good players who are snatched to Germany and England as soon as their class becomes apparent, I doubt it will ever reach its old heights.

Eh? Not in the spirit of the thread.

Did you not see them beat outclass Man City in the CL the other night? OK so they are not the force they once were, but you could hardly say that they are no longer a big name.

I have memories of Dinamo Tbilisi stuffing the great Liverpool 4-1 one night.

Do I remember correctly?

Edit: it appears from a Google search it was 3-0, 4-2 on agg.

Edit: appears it was West Ham they beat 4-1 once.

Just remembered Woking had a few good FA Cup runs in the 90s,pulled off a few shocks.

Did you not see them beat outclass Man City in the CL the other night? OK so they are not the force they once were, but you could hardly say that they are no longer a big name.

Yeah, Man City were meant to wipe the floor with Ajax instead it was the other way around.

Boom! Boom!

Highlights from that game does be on ESPN Classic every so often.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the Pride of the GDR, Berliner FC Dynamo. :pac:

Also, Newcastle United. Anyone remmeber them playing in the League of Ireland? :D

Was that not Newcastle West?

Remember EMFA well, watched them at the Brandywell a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

eagle eye wrote: »
    Cork Hibs and Cork Celtic. Carl Zeiss Jena and FC Madgeburg are two east german teams I remember.

I remember listening to the away leg of the European Cup final on the radio in 1973 on BBC Radio(possibly 5 but not sure) which was Liverpool against Borussia Monchengladbach. They were such a powerhouse all through the 70s along with Liverpool but then they just disappeared altogether from the European scene.

Would have been Radio 2 - 5 didn't start until the 90s. Football had to share with Wogan and The Organist Entertains back then.

Was that not Newcastle West?

Remember EMFA well, watched them at the Brandywell a few times.

They were known as Newcastle United for their first season in the LoI before they changed their name to Newcastlewest.

Wimbledon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Blyth Spartans - Sutton United

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

I remember Norwich having a good run back in the 90's beatiing Bayern Munich 2-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Hardly (and I even mentioned City!)

Compared to the 90s they are, generally, a filler team in European competitions. Can you see them reaching a quarter or semi final of the CL within three years? Victim of their own fine youth system basically, as soon as they gel great players they are swiped by England, Spain and Germany. Until they get a megabucks Arab investor this will always be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thurles Town was one of the first members of the LoI First Division.

St. Etienne was a big power in the 70's, Platini played for them, never hear much about them these days.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Kilkenny City ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

They were known as Newcastle United for their first season in the LoI before they changed their name to Newcastlewest.

Wow, as a west Limerick man I'd forgotten all about that. Vague memories of them competing in the 1st Division.

As for their wiki entry check out some of the notable former players :pac:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastlewest_F.C.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Dukla Prague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Cameroon. I was a fan straight away after seeing this.

Thanks for posting that one, had forgotten about that. Jesus the Cameroon lads could nearly have been charged with attempted murder for that one! Two of them have a wild swing at him before the third fella nearly breaks him in half!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

wimbledon late 80s
    the great ac milan team from 89 to 93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Wow, as a west Limerick man I'd forgotten all about that. Vague memories of them competing in the 1st Division.

As for their wiki entry check out some of the notable former players :pac:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastlewest_F.C.
    brilliant lad, that list had me in bits as well :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement