Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teams from your youth - ah, those were the days

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Lokomotiv Leipzig beat FC Magdeburg 3-0 today..it the German regional league!!

How the mighty have fallen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Dante

Fiorentina when they had big Gabriel Batistuta banging them in.
    Leeds United up until O' Leary financially molested the club.
    Deportivo La Coruna when they regularly made the quarters and semis of the CL, on top of winning La Liga in 2000.
    Bayer Leverkusen for a briefish period when they went for the treble and ultimately ended up with nothing, in addition to finishing second in the Bundesliga four times in five years and never actually winning it.
    Rosenborg, they used to regularly reach the CL group stages in the 90's and early 00's, I don't seem to hear much about em anymore. I have fond memories of being brought to Tolka Park for the first time to see them beat Shels to reach the group stages back in 2000....ah to be young again!
    Dublin City FC. In its short lifespan all the club really did was relegate Rovers from the EL to the first division, then disband a few months later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Benimar wrote: »
    Lokomotiv Leipzig beat FC Magdeburg 3-0 today..it the German regional league!!

How the mighty have fallen.

Didn't the only get promoted up because of the expansion?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Hardly (and I even mentioned City!)

Compared to the 90s they are, generally, a filler team in European competitions. Can you see them reaching a quarter or semi final of the CL within three years? Victim of their own fine youth system basically, as soon as they gel great players they are swiped by England, Spain and Germany. Until they get a megabucks Arab investor this will always be the case.
    They are more a victim of the Bosman ruling to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Fiorentina when they had big Gabriel Batistuta banging them in.
    Leeds United up until O' Leary financially molested the club.
    Deportivo La Coruna when they regularly made the quarters and semis of the CL, on top of winning La Liga in 2000.
    Bayer Leverkusen for a briefish period when they went for the treble and ultimately ended up with nothing, in addition to finishing second in the Bundesliga four times in five years and never actually winning it.
    Rosenborg, they used to regularly reach the CL group stages in the 90's and early 00's, I don't seem to hear much about em anymore. I have fond memories of being brought to Tolka Park for the first time to see them beat Shels to reach the group stages back in 2000....ah to be young again!
    Dublin City FC. In its short lifespan all the club really did was relegate Rovers from the EL to the first division, then disband a few months later.

Reminds me of Bronby, although I only remember them because of the 1999 group stage with Barca, United and Bayern!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

And if we are talking international teams....eh....us? :pac: Im fairly sure we were ranked something insane like 6th in the world after Italia 90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Lazio. Deportiva La Coruna. PSV Eindhoven. Leeds
    I think I remember somewhere hearing that Lazio are the biggest club in the world, based on the amount of members (playing and non playing) and varying sports that they play. I might be mixing them up with someone else though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

bullpost wrote: »
    Dukla Prague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Fighting back to claim a draw against all the odds away to arguably the best team in the world. Bayern really have had a fall from grace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Always remember English teams having to play Mypa in the Uefa cup.
    Quick google shows they were in Europa league qualifiers this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Rosenberg
    Littex Lovech
    Maribor
    Skonto Riga
    Metz
    Sturm Graz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Fiorentina;

Parma;

Newcastle of course :)

Bulgaria;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Trap built such a great side at Fiorentina in the late 90's. Think they were top of table come about February in the 98-99 season when Batistuta got injured and that genial lunatic Edmundo fecked off back to Brazil, and they unfortunately fell off the pace, would have been some achievement considering the stength of the league in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just looking at the Bulgaria vid there,I would add Nigeria to the list,they had some super players in the mid 90s

Finidi George
    Daniel Amokachi
    Efan Ekoku
    Sunday Oliseh
    Kanu
    Taribo West (just threw him in for his strange hair styles) :D
    Celestine Babayaro
    Victor Ikpeba
    Jay Jay Okocha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Just looking at the Bulgaria vid there,I would add Nigeria to the list,they had some super players in the mid 90s

Finidi George
    Daniel Amokachi
    Efan Ekoku
    Sunday Oliseh
    Kanu
    Taribo West (just threw him in for his strange hair styles) :D
    Celestine Babayaro
    Victor Ikpeba
    Jay Jay Okocha

Two of them playing for one of the best teams in the mid 90s, Borussia Dortmund :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was that not Newcastle West?

Remember EMFA well, watched them at the Brandywell a few times.

EMFA went on to become Kilkenny City AFC, it was written on the club crest. EMFA was a semi-portmanteau of Emmet St. and Fatima Place.

Kilkennycity.png

The club folded in 2008.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement