Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromebook

Options
  • 30-10-2012 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know much about this and when it is available here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kia_Kaha

I think I saw somewhere they are available in Ireland from November. I used one once - didn't think much of it. They are £229 sterling new - I paid less than that for the Sony Vaio I'm writing this on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Kia_Kaha wrote: »
    I think I saw somewhere they are available in Ireland from November. I used one once - didn't think much of it. They are £229 sterling new - I paid less than that for the Sony Vaio I'm writing this on!
    Obviously not a new Vaio?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kia_Kaha

Obviously not a new Vaio?
    No it is second-hand - ex-company stock but I still wouldn't have a shiny new Chromebook thrown at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

What are they about, obviously loaded with google product. Reason I'm asking is that google products are pretty much all I use

• Advertisement

wellboy76 wrote: »
    What are they about

The cloud.

Meaning, the lack of offline ability turns the Chromebook into a useless brick when not connected. Although Google has promised to address the issue, so you can play Angry Birds and Pacman even when you're not online. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Torqay wrote: »

That seems to be the old Series 5 version. The new one is called a Seres 3

That seems to be the old Series 5 version. The new one is called a Seres 3

Quite possible, Chromebooks aren't exactly a novelty.

This one has an Intel Atom processor, the new cheapo one only has some ARM chip, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭christyden

Hi. Rang PC world UK told me they won't be in stock for 3 weeks in UK and even longer for the rep. Ordered one on amazon UK. They will have stock on November 10th. 234 sterling that includes delivery to Dublin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

bought ours on Amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,324 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

On the shelf for $249.99

ARM-based processor
    2GB RAM
    16GB SSD

Actually a pretty solid machine for what is for all intents a netbook. Can't install anything to it though. Web, Email, Google Docs, YES; the second you want to use it for pretty much anything else though, eh get a real PC. Nice portapooter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭christyden

Amazon.co.UK have stock today

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gstan

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadAngel

Hi there, I don't know much (or anything til this evening) about Chromebooks. The price is what grabbed my attention. Excuse what may be a stupid question but if, for example, I have a PP presentation on my usb stick, can I view this on a Chromebook?

gstan wrote: »
    Expansys have it for pre-order at €374.99. Pretty steep!!

You think that is steep???

Google's high end paperweight aka Chromebook Pixel is now available in the UK, only the non 3G/4G version, meaning you must have a WLAN connection in range. Price: more than 1.200 yoyos.

Every Reason Not to Buy the Google Chromebook Pixel

Advertisement