Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird wifi problem

Options
  • 30-10-2012 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I wonder if anyone can help me with problem. When I have my wifi router plugged down stairs I can not get a wifi signal in the room directly above it upstairs. Though when I run a telephone cable all the way upstairs the wifi works perfectly downstairs. How can this be it makes no sense to me. I don't have any other wireless devices that could be disrupting the signal. If there is any expert out there please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

talkingpj wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone can help me with problem. When I have my wifi router plugged down stairs I can not get a wifi signal in the room directly above it upstairs. Though when I run a telephone cable all the way upstairs the wifi works perfectly downstairs. How can this be it makes no sense to me. I don't have any other wireless devices that could be disrupting the signal. If there is any expert out there please help.

What's the floor made of? Anything that would disrupt the signal? Friend of mine tearing his hair out in an old hotel - turned out the old lead pipes had been encased in concrete. No signal getting through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

I thought it must be because of concrete floor but its weird how it works when the router is in the master bedroom to the living room directly blow but not vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I thought it must be because of concrete floor but its weird how it works when the router is in the master bedroom to the living room directly blow but not vice versa

Ah, you must have a 802.11h router, the h is for heavy - the signal deflects down because of the heavier radio wave signal to electropotential growth ratio.

Turn it upside down and try it then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 agricamera

Have you tried turning the router 90 degrees / upside down?

The aerial is probably directional

Imagine it like a doughnut shape - ie. most of the signal goes out towards the sides, and less is pushed up and down.

By the sounds of it most of your signal is pushed sideways + down, and very little is pushed directly up.

Advertisement