Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft

• 30-10-2012 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone up for it? I thoroughly enjoyed the Euros one which Lloyd won. The format I put forward is:

- 20 participants

- Straight knockout

- Based on current ability

- 2 wildcard rounds, retired players that played in the Premiership round and rest of the world round. (The 'retired players that played in the Premiership' round would start with the first picker, in say the 3rd round, and the 'rest of the world' round would begin with the 20th picker in say the 7th round. I'm just thinking of ways to help offset the advantage those that get Ronaldo and Messi get, any other suggestions welcome)

- No more than 3 players from any one PL team

- Cannot pick players from the same team in two consecutive rounds. This excludes wildcard rounds. For example, if you pick a Man Utd player in round 2, you cannot pick another one in round 4 after the wildcard round.

- 12 hour time limit when it comes to picking

- Only developed answers count towards the voting process (even one line will do)

I'd like to stress that if you're going to enter, please be sure that you'll be able to get online at least once everyday, barring the odd exception/emergency of course. Also, please only enter if you're sure that you'll have the interest to see it out and not randomly pull out half way through after delaying your last 3 picks. There is normally at least one of these, please do not be that person!

Anyway I'll be in it with the next 19 posters to confirm their entry on this thread. Any other suggestions with regards the format are welcome. Cheers.

link to the picks thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795761

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Blatter wrote: »
    I'm just thinking of ways to help offset the advantage those that get Ronaldo and Messi get, any other suggestions welcome)

Leave them out of it - don't allow them as picks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Des wrote: »

I think there's a case to be made for leaving the 'rest of the world' round out of it altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Des wrote: »

I was considering that as well but I'm not sure I'd like it. Would be interested to hear how others would feel about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There are no players anywhere near them at the moment - and players like Maradona and Pele won't be available in this draft anyway.

Look, set up rules, if people moan, fúck them, there'll be other non-moaners who'll play instead of them.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

I'd be interested. Des is right re Messi and Ronaldo, just leave them out. Makes things very simple. They give too much of an advantage to any team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

G'wan, I'll give it a lash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Get rid of the rest of the world round. Also I'll give it a bash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

definitely want to be a part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There's enough players available to not need a rest of the world round. If that's out I'm in :)

That might work better as well - that way each side of the draft gets 1 pick weighted to them (As long as the widlcard round stays on an even round).

• Advertisement

Okay we'll get rid of the rest of world round so. I don't really like two wildcard rounds anyway, it gives an advantage to whatever side gets first dibs on two out of the three big rounds.

This way one half of the draft gets first dibs on the best players in the PL now and the other gets it on the PL retired players. A lot fairer.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

I'm definitely interested! Count me in!

Also agree that leaving out Messi and Ronaldo would be the best thing to do in the ROTW round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Ill do it as well. Enjoyed the euro 12 one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'm in it to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm interested too.

I think if you are going to put in something like a rest of the world round then you should only have one and it should be an even round late in the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

I'm in it if ye'l have me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Go on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Im in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I'd love to, but I'd be awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andy Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I say a few stipulation rounds but have them all PL stips, like rounds where it's only players who made their debuts before 2008 or something, would potentially split the talent more fairly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'm in.
    Though I'm not exactly sure what the game is. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I'm back for redemption. In.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I'm in .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i'll give it a go

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If there are places left im in. Was in the last few and had planned on running a draft were everyone was eligible (any time, league etc) but wanted to wait till a good while after the euro draft in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

im in, always a problem when the best ever round is at the end for last people, there is never enough top talent in round 1 to offset the huge selection of players from historic round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

In as well, if a spot still available

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I was playing a draft on another forum and if you won you got to take 1 player off the other persons team . Meaning you could have more than 11 players in your squad but still had to abide by the 3 player rules in your starting lineup .

Any interest in something like that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Go on sure I'll give it a go provided theres a place for me, if not mark me down as first reserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if a place is available...please put me in.

if not, a reserve is fine.

damn not having Internet since Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'll have a go if there's space left

I count 26 people that want in, although I'm not sure if Ix Deadmau5 definitely put himself in or not. I'll take it that he did for now.

I have no problem increasing the size of the draft, especially as there are so many regulars that want in, it should go smoothly enough. What makes some drafts a failure is when too many people miss, or stall over their picks consistently, not the fact that there's a lot of people in it.

That's just me though, maybe others would be against it. I'll wait to see what the general consensus amongst the masses is before making any decision.

Dunno, thought 20 is even pushing it tbh. It's not a gigantic pool of players afterall.

Also if straight knockout, how is 20 going to work?

• Advertisement

leave it at 20.

it becomes ludicrous if you make it any bigger IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Balls disappointed to miss this as the Euro one looked a laugh. If 10 people withdraw or whatever count me in!

Yeah, after thinking about it again, it's probably best to leave it at 20.
    Rekop dog wrote: »

Also if straight knockout, how is 20 going to work?

I was thinking of randomly selecting 8 teams at the start, pair them against each other and the 4 winners join the other 12 and it's plain sailing from there.

It's either that or a group format at the start, but I think there's be too many matches in that and people would soon lose interest.

What do you think, would people be happy to accept 8 teams being randomly chosen to play an initial qualifier?

Would we still be picking our players at the same time ? I think we should always have a draft going on at some stage.We should get this started pretty soon and the people that missed out on this one will have a chance in 2 weeks or so to do another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

if there is so many people looking to join couldnt we do two drafts be set up separably and run by separate people and then the two winners can face off at the end. I know there will be risk of having the same players. just so people dont miss out and as said already there isnt a massive pool of players

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I think 2 drafts would be an extremely bad idea. Interest often wanes in the later rounds of these things and it should be kept as 20 people in order to help sustain it.

2 drafts would be too confusing.I'd love to get this started A.S.A.P sounds exciting

I'll stepaside for a reserve to enter. Busy spell in work next while.

Will follow with interest when I can though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yurt wrote: »
    Would we still be picking our players at the same time ? I think we should always have a draft going on at some stage.We should get this started pretty soon and the people that missed out on this one will have a chance in 2 weeks or so to do another one.

I think you're seriously underestimating how long these drafts take, with 20 people it'll take months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I think you're seriously underestimating how long these drafts take, with 20 people it'll take months!

Also, you always have one or two who does it properly for the first 3 or 4 rounds and then constantly misses their picks, holds everyone up and makes up bullshít excuses as to why they're holding everyone up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

all 20 spaces used up?

I'll take a space if there is one, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

If a spot arises ill take it

1. Blatter
    2. Ares
    3. baz2009
    4. Chucky the tree
    5. G.K.
    6. Xavi6
    7. eugeneious
    8. IncognitoMan
    9. Fuzzy_Dunlop
    10. Liam O
    11. eagle eye
    12. Yurt
    13. ASOT
    14. Ix Deadmau5
    15. Andy Carroll
    16. Eathrin
    17. SirDelboy18
    19. Jax Teller
    19. redzerdrog
    20. Bounty Hunter

Those were the first 20 and the first 3 reserves are Trippie, bullvine and THFC. Sorry to all those who are interested that there isn't enough room for, I was thinking of maybe doing another one after Xmas for the last 16 of the CL and if I do, I'll give ye the option of taking part first through PM.

Just one thing before we get this started, are people happy for 8 teams to be picked at random for an initial qualifying round so we can cut the numbers down to 16 and play it out from there? Or would people prefer to do it another way?

fine by me

just to point out, those who are in, don't be annoying and hold it up for everyone.

if you know you're going to be busy and have limited access to the Internet, i'd advise you to drop out. you won't enjoy it if you're only a bit-part player, and others will just get annoyed.

i know stuff comes up in real life that none of us can control, but my experience of these types of draft is you get one or two who consistently slow the thing down and ruin the momentum. if you know that's going to be you, I urge to re-consider your position.

• Advertisement
Advertisement