Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Might be good to lay down some rules for people who miss consecutive picks or take to long. Maybe 3 picks missed in a row and they get kick out and someone can take over? Obviously might be hard to find some to take over. Also might be good to implement a time limit where the pick will be skipped if someone is taking to long, he can make his selection whenever he is online again then. Also if someone is going to be away from their comp for awhile they should simply email a big board of picks to a neutral party(mod or whatever) who can make their selection for them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Blatter wrote: »
    Just one thing before we get this started, are people happy for 8 teams to be picked at random for an initial qualifying round so we can cut the numbers down to 16 and play it out from there? Or would people prefer to do it another way?

yay I just about made the cut.

I'd be happy either way. 4 randomly eliminated or 4 voted out in a who do you think is least likely to win poll maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Don't really mind which way it's done for cutting the numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

SlickRic wrote: »
    just to point out, those who are in, don't be annoying and hold it up for everyone.

if you know you're going to be busy and have limited access to the Internet, i'd advise you to drop out. you won't enjoy it if you're only a bit-part player, and others will just get annoyed.

i know stuff comes up in real life that none of us can control, but my experience of these types of draft is you get one or two who consistently slow the thing down and ruin the momentum. if you know that's going to be you, I urge to re-consider your position.

Would like everyone to take notice of this post.
    Might be good to lay down some rules for people who miss consecutive picks or take to long. Maybe 3 picks missed in a row and they get kick out and someone can take over? Obviously might be hard to find some to take over. Also might be good to implement a time limit where the pick will be skipped if someone is taking to long, he can make his selection whenever he is online again then. Also if someone is going to be away from their comp for awhile they should simply email a big board of picks to a neutral party(mod or whatever) who can make their selection for them.

I think if somebody misses two picks in a row, they should be kicked out.

If they're not sure they're going to be online in time for their pick, they should PM a few regulars with their choices of player in order to keep this flowing as smoothly as possible.

yay I just about made the cut.

I'd be happy either way. 4 randomly eliminated or 4 voted out in a who do you think is least likely to win poll maybe?

I think if people go through the effort of selecting a team, they deserve to play at least one match. What I was thinking of doing was the 8 posters that take the longest to make all of their picks (I'll keep count of times per poster), are the 8 that go into the qualifying round. It would be a bit of an incentive for people to make that extra effort to PM a couple of people with their picks or just to hurry on with the pick themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'm going to have little to no internet access from Friday morning 'til late Monday night. If that fecks it up, then kick me out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Hopefully I get an early pick this time.

baz2009 wrote: »
    I'm going to have little to no internet access from Friday morning 'til late Monday night. If that fecks it up, then kick me out of it!

Is it just this weekend where that'll be the case, or every weekend?

You'll be grand as long as you PM somebody a list of picks in the order you want them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Is it just this weekend where that'll be the case, or every weekend?

You'll be grand as long as you PM somebody a list of picks in the order you want them!

Just this one, going to England for it.

Cool. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I think if people go through the effort of selecting a team, they deserve to play at least one match. What I was thinking of doing was the 8 posters that take the longest to make all of their picks (I'll keep count of times per poster), are the 8 that go into the qualifying round. It would be a bit of an incentive for people to make that extra effort to PM a couple of people with their picks or just to hurry on with the pick themselves.

That would be a very good idea if it's not too much hassle.

• Advertisement

That would be a very good idea if it's not too much hassle.

Yeah that'd be no bother. I'll just add up the times after each round and post them so everyone will know where they stand.

So all that's left now is draft order and clarifying the PM system etc and away we go?

So all that's left now is draft order and clarifying the PM system etc and away we go?

Pretty much so yeah! G.K., do you have that software that randomly puts the draft in order, I think you used it for the last draft....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

What happens if a player played for more than 1 PL club ?

Never mind won't really be a problem .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Pretty much so yeah! G.K., do you have that software that randomly puts the draft in order, I think you used it for the last draft....

http://www.random.org/lists/

Here's one I did...
    There were 20 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

4. Chucky the tree
    19. redzerdrog
    15. Andy Carroll
    11. eagle eye
    1. Blatter
    10. Liam O
    8. IncognitoMan
    9. Fuzzy_Dunlop
    20. Bounty Hunter
    14. Ix Deadmau5
    5. G.K.
    6. Xavi6
    17. SirDelboy18
    12. Yurt
    19. Jax Teller
    2. Ares
    3. baz2009
    7. eugeneious
    13. ASOT
    16. Eathrin

smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

Okay, could somebody that's not in the draft copy and paste the list into the box from Chucky's link and randomize it. Cheers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

http://www.random.org/lists/

Here's one I did...

smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

Heh liking the loyalty to IPB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

We getting this started tonight? Hopefully I do better than last time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Okay, could somebody that's not in the draft copy and paste the list into the box from Chucky's link and randomize it. Cheers :pac:

Agreed.
    Y'know...to be fair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Could somebody inform me as to the time frame we're given for picks?
    It's Hallowe'en night and I'll be away from the computer tonight.

How long will it take to get the picks done?
    Would it be possible to arrange some evening in which everybody takes picks rapidly or does that take away from the fun of it?

Once the picking is finished, how do the head to heads work? Do neutrals vote on how they feel the match will end based on the tactics given and players' current form?

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Here is an order that came up on random;

1. Blatter
    12. Yurt
    20. Bounty Hunter
    2. Ares
    10. Liam O
    15. Andy Carroll
    19. redzerdrog
    7. eugeneious
    8. IncognitoMan
    3. baz2009
    5. G.K.
    6. Xavi6
    17. SirDelboy18
    16. Eathrin
    11. eagle eye
    14. Ix Deadmau5
    19. Jax Teller
    9. Fuzzy_Dunlop
    4. Chucky the tree
    13. ASOT

Timestamp: 2012-10-31 18:06:14 UTC

Accept it if you will, if not then can someone do one quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Last and second last im so lucky ;) Shall be fun though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'll help out and do one as a neutral if no one objects?

Morzadec wrote: »
    I'll help out and do one as a neutral if no one objects?

Yeah the neutral one is the fairest. Go ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Well i was fine with that one even being last but go for it!

10. Liam O
    17. SirDelboy18
    3. baz2009
    19. Jax Teller
    8. IncognitoMan
    11. eagle eye
    19. redzerdrog
    15. Andy Carroll
    20. Bounty Hunter
    6. Xavi6
    12. Yurt
    9. Fuzzy_Dunlop
    16. Eathrin
    1. Blatter
    7. eugeneious
    5. G.K.
    14. Ix Deadmau5
    13. ASOT
    4. Chucky the tree
    2. Ares
    Timestamp: 2012-10-31 18:26:49 UTC

Ares's list was first, but this one is from a neutral (not suggesting there was any foul play but maybe better coming from an uninvolved poster!)

So I guess Blatter/popular vote can decide which to use

ASOT wrote: »
    Well i was fine with that one even being last but go for it!

Being last ain't so bad . You'll get 2 make 2 picks at the same time. Being in the middle is worse than being last IMO

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Being last ain't so bad . You'll get 2 make 2 picks at the same time. Being in the middle is worse than being last IMO

Middle is definitely the worst place to be. No real advantage to be gained in any round. Hoping for people to miss players

At least with this one there isn't an obvious first choice - There are a couple of players who could stake a claim for being selected first.

At least with this one there isn't an obvious first choice - There are a couple of players who could stake a claim for being selected first.

There's a pretty standout first choice imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Smeg, that position isn't helpful.

You guys got the site that I used before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Morzadec wrote: »

10. Liam O
    17. SirDelboy18
    3. baz2009
    19. Jax Teller
    8. IncognitoMan
    11. eagle eye
    19. redzerdrog
    15. Andy Carroll
    20. Bounty Hunter
    6. Xavi6
    12. Yurt
    9. Fuzzy_Dunlop
    16. Eathrin
    1. Blatter
    7. eugeneious
    5. G.K.
    14. Ix Deadmau5
    13. ASOT
    4. Chucky the tree
    2. Ares
    Timestamp: 2012-10-31 18:26:49 UTC

Ares's list was first, but this one is from a neutral (not suggesting there was any foul play but maybe better coming from an uninvolved poster!)

So I guess Blatter/popular vote can decide which to use
    I say we go with this one :p

Right, I'll set up he picks thread at 11.00 in the morning (in just under 11 hours time). We'll use Morzadec's list as the order of the draft. I'll PM Liam O now.

If people aren't sure they'll be able to make their pick in time or will be very late in doing so (anytime throughout the draft), I'll be online a good bit over the next few weeks so if you could PM me a list of you're preferred picks in the order you'd like, it'd be great. It doesn't have to be me, it could be any person(s) that you think has a good chance of being online at said time and they can name you're pick in the picks thread. Just giving the option of myself.

Anyway, best of luck to all.

And everybody, don't forget to PM the next picker when you're finished! Very important.

Also, we can use this thread for general chat about the draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

With so many players to pick from it doesn't really matter what position you're in*

*That's what I'm telling myself anyway seeing as I'm stuck in the middle :o

Xavi6 wrote: »
    With so many players to pick from it doesn't really matter what position you're in*

*That's what I'm telling myself anyway seeing as I'm stuck in the middle :o

Being in the middle of the draft definitely isn't the disadvantage it was in say the Euros draft. The gap between the 1st best and 10th best player isn't as big at all.

And everybody, don't forget to PM the next picker when you're finished! Very important.

Also, we can use this thread for general chat about the draft.

I don't think it should be important people should be paying attention to the thread itself.

I don't think it should be important people should be paying attention to the thread itself.

I suppose you're right, but at the same time if it's not done, it gives people an excuse to delay/miss their pick.

Just on the 12 hour rule, it's a bit unfair on those of us in opposite land (it may only be me admittedly).

Just on the 12 hour rule, it's a bit unfair on those of us in opposite land (it may only be me admittedly).

well id fall into that catagory too but did alright with it last time and that had the 12hr rule too iirc although this time the clock doesent stop in the middle of the night Irish time as it did then.

RVP gone, had to be no.1 really

• Advertisement

That's unfortunate, but if at anytime you feel there's a decent chance of you getting caught out by it, could you not PM your list of choices to someone prior?

I think there was a draft over 12 months ago where the time limit was 24 hours, it was dragged out to the bollix and ended up being a disaster. The Euro one a few months ago had a 12 hour time limit and it's one of the reasons it worked so well.

We don't have to count the hours between 1am and 7am, if that'd be any use to you?

That's unfortunate, but if at anytime you feel there's a decent chance of you getting caught out by it, could you not PM your list of choices to someone prior?

I think there was a draft over 12 months ago where the time limit was 24 hours, it was dragged out to the bollix and ended up being a disaster. The Euro one a few months ago had a 12 hour time limit and it's one of the reasons it worked so well.

We don't have to count the hours between 1am and 7am, if that'd be any use to you?

That's what we did last time, I think.

G.K. wrote: »
    That's what we did last time, I think.

Yup, that's where I got the idea from! :)

Reason why I didn't implement it in this one is because I was skeptical as to what difference it really made. But going by Bounty Hunter's post above, I'd say it has it's uses.

I'll add it to the rules so?

No cause that's some of my prime waking hours! (9am to 3pm)

Just go with it and I'll fall in line.

So, do people in general want the hours between 1am and 7am to count towards the time limit, or do you want the clock stopped?

Need to make a definite ruling on that asap.

Look, I'm just going to add it in, because I appreciate some people only get online every evening after work or whatever, and if somebody makes a pick at say 3 in the morning, it might be difficult to get online before 3pm the following day.

• Advertisement

busy forum and all as the soccer board is I just added a link to the picks thread into the OP of this thread incase it every drops off the first page as has happened already only 1 pick in.

No cause that's some of my prime waking hours! (9am to 3pm)

Just go with it and I'll fall in line.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a good thing? You can make your pick during that time but it isn't counted towards the clock.

I may be making a complete mess out of this but that's how I saw it.

Really happy to have got rooney. Thought RVP and him would go before it got to me

Really happy to have got rooney. Thought RVP and him would go before it got to me

Was either him or Hazard for me . Hazard just barely edged it .

Was either him or Hazard for me . Hazard just barely edged it .

I checked your profile while I was waiting and seeing you are a united fan I was full sure he would be your pick :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement