Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well with you guys picking the elite of the attacking players I decided to go with the man I think is the only truly elite central mid in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

eagle eye took my 1st choice so need a few mins to think what way i want to go with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

haha thought this was for all players who have played in the premiership. Makes my drafting position even more painful.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

haha thought this was for all players who have played in the premiership. Makes my drafting position even more painful.

Hey quit yo jibba jabbin, some of us have an even worse drafting position. :mad:

The only thing is that we'll get first pick for the retirees round. The quality in that round will be thin on the ground, the difference between 1st and 20th in that round will be strong. I've the first pick in that round and if Henry was available he'd be my pick without a shadow of a doubt.

But because he's píssing around the MLS at the moment on his last pay day, read also for Drogba and China he's unavailable. Its a bit of a pain in the sack but there isn't that can be done about it, is there Blatter? Is there?

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

ffs Can Andy Carroll's place be given to the first reserve or someone who's going to take this at least a bit seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Ares wrote: »
    ffs Can Andy Carroll's place be given to the first reserve or someone who's going to take this at least a bit seriously?

He did the same in the euro draft . Didn't do too bad .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah he ended up with a pretty good team in the end in that if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

As long as Doni isn't his next pick he'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Can anyone give me a quick summary of how this thing works?
    I'm guessing you keep picking players until you have a full team? How is the winner decided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Picking Andy Carroll as first round pick made me laugh a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

can't believe i missed out on this, looks great crack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Goddamn it this is the second one of these I have missed out on!

Good luck to all involved though, looking forward to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

G.K. wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a good thing? You can make your pick during that time but it isn't counted towards the clock.

I may be making a complete mess out of this but that's how I saw it.

I can't pick during that time if this amnesty is in place, plus I lose about 8 hours of picking time due to being asleep.

Having said that, if a pick falls to me during that window I'll just do it anyway. Feck the rules :pac:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I can't pick during that time if this amnesty is in place, plus I lose about 8 hours of picking time due to being asleep.

Having said that, if a pick falls to me during that window I'll just do it anyway. Feck the rules :pac:

Yeah it's fair enough that people in far flung places get a bit of dispensation, especially since you're around a lot.

The night time break is probably necessary because say someone picks at about this time (10pm or 11pm), then the next person would have to pick first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ares wrote: »

7b5345661.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The break isn't a no picks break, it's just that time doesn't count towards the clock, you can pick when it's your turn no matter what time it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Liam O wrote: »
    The break isn't a no picks break, it's just that time doesn't count towards the clock, you can pick when it's your turn no matter what time it is.

^^This^^

That's exactly what it meant when I put it in place in the EURO draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Shocked Vinny wasn't snapped up first few picks, there's so few quality CB's in the league that snapping one up gives that team a solid foundation that very few will have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think the only reason he hadn't been picked yet was because his form this season has been well below par in comparison to last.

Still, plenty of time to get back to his best before all picks are done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Shocked Vinny wasn't snapped up first few picks, there's so few quality CB's in the league that snapping one up gives that team a solid foundation that very few will have!

Was so close to picking him myself but couldnt pass up that loveable scamp that is Luis S plus with a Man City fan up next I thought id be nice ;)

tbh there were 4 guys I woulda been equally happy with so almost woulda prefered having 13th pick than 9th as atleast then i'd get my rd2 pick a few goes early. Suarez also gives me a bit of versatility going forward too which will come in handy as he can be played as a CF, AM or WF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Blatter wrote: »
    I think the only reason he hadn't been picked yet was because his form this season has been well below par in comparison to last.

Still, plenty of time to get back to his best before all picks are done.

Agreed. He has been undeniably poor this season, such that taking him first would have been a huge risk that I feel won't pay off.

Those saying he's had a poor start to the season, how much of City have you actually watched?

He hasn't hit the heights of last year, but there's no shame in that at this stage, and mistakes like the one against West Brom are still few and far between.

I don't see anything risky about picking the best centre half in the league, but sure that's just my opinion.

Those saying he's had a poor start to the season, how much of City have you actually watched?

He hasn't hit the heights of last year, but there's no shame in that at this stage, and mistakes like the one against West Brom are still few and far between.

I don't see anything risky about picking the best centre half in the league, but sure that's just my opinion.

Granted this is CL - he was extremely suspect for Ronaldo's goal against City. He was poor against Dortmund.

He was easily shrugged off by Peter Crouch when he scored last month. And the West Brom calamity. He was badly out of position a number of times against Swansea who couldn't capatilise etc.

To only claim that he hasn't reached the heights of last season is manipulating the truth quite a lot. He has been suspect on numerous occasions this season.

Granted this is CL - he was extremely suspect for Ronaldo's goal against City. He was poor against Dortmund.

He was easily shrugged off by Peter Crouch when he scored last month. And the West Brom calamity. He was badly out of position a number of times against Swansea who couldn't capatilise etc.

To only claim that he hasn't reached the heights of last season is manipulating the truth quite a lot. He has been suspect on numerous occasions this season.

I don't think it's manipulating the truth at all. He hasn't been as good as last year but he's still playing at a level better than most. There have been a few mistakes, but he has also suffered from not having a settled partner alongside him. Either way he's an immense defender and leader.

Also, as per the picks thread OP -
    Players are to be judged on current ability.

That says we're judging regarding how good they are, not their current form, so Kompany is arguably the best central defensive option in the whole thing based on that.

I've watched a fair bit of City this season and Kompany just hasn't been the same yet. It's crazy the amount of times forwards are getting in behind him compared to last season. I'm not sure how much of an impact having different partners at CB has had on him, last season when Lescott, Toure, Savic or Richards partnered him, I don't remember the same drop in performance.

As for you're definition of ''current ability'', that's fair enough if you want to see things like that. But others will let nearly 3 months of below par performances influence their thinking.

Anyway, he was still a good pick at that stage. There's a fairly good chance he'll get his shít together by the time the judging process starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

There's not many big players left :(

Yurt has until 7pm, then it's Fuzzy_Dunlop's turn.

yurt hasnt been online in 2 days, people commiting to these thing really should be online at least once a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

redzerdrog wrote: »
    yurt hasnt been online in 2 days, people commiting to these thing really should be online at least once a day

how can he sign up and then miss the first round, baffling

And people thought it would only take two weeks :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I think the real problem with Xavi6's pick is he used a picture of lescott instead of kompany :)

is there a rule in place about how many turns missed before someone gets replaced?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    is there a rule in place about how many turns missed before someone gets replaced?

Yeah miss 2 without good reason and you're out .

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Yeah miss 2 without good reason and you're out .

which is ok towards the end, but missing the first two rounds of picks means its going to be nigh on impossible for me to compete as im first reserve

I'd get rid of him now if it was me. Signing up, then not being online in 2 days, and missing the first pick is just irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Lads the likely hood is that I won't have internet access until tomorrow evening but I sent Blatter who's the pick before a list of players just to save delaying time.

should of made that rule at the start. If you miss first round you are gone. holding the show up

generally when someone misses first round and chance at big pick they lose all interest and just dont bother any more

If the 7pm deadline passes I think we should give the place to Trippie and let him pick. At least hes been online. The other fella has 0.14 posts a day. It dosnt look like it just a once off that he isnt online

If the 7pm deadline passes I think we should give the place to Trippie and let him pick. At least hes been online. The other fella has 0.14 posts a day. It dosnt look like it just a once off that he isnt online

I agree

• Advertisement

I'm ok with that.

woudnt want to step on anyones toes but realistically cant see myself having too much interest if i dont get to pick until the third round properly, would ahve no chance as i mentioned. im happy to go ahead but again would need more than the 3 agreements above as might cause a problem, im happy to slip down to the end of the draft and everyone move up a spot if he still hasnt come online by then also

I don't like kicking somebody out after missing one pick, especially after specifically stating that it's two missed picks and you're out. Yurt hasn't been online since the picks thread was created, so maybe if he knew it was up and running, he'd have been more attentive. He should have still checked though.

I don't mind moving him to the end of the draft, and if he still hasn't come online by then, his space is given to Trippie.

Would people be alright with that?

I don't like kicking somebody out after missing one pick, especially after specifically stating that it's two missed picks and you're out. Yurt hasn't been online since the picks thread was created, so maybe if he knew it was up and running, he'd have been more attentive. He should have still checked though.

I don't mind moving him to the end of the draft, and if he still hasn't come online by then, his space is given to Trippie.

Would people be alright with that?

Actually I didn't realise he hadn't been on since the picks thread was made. In that case your solution seems more appropriate.

Actually I didn't realise he hadn't been on since the picks thread was made. In that case your solution seems more appropriate.

Yeah, we'll do that so.

No point in waiting around for everyone to give their opinion on it, we'll be here another 12 hours otherwise. Pick away and then PM Eathrin.

Is he for real makes us all wait then does that .

lol, tbf I doubt it's premeditated as that's his first time logging in in ages.

Make sure to long in at least once everyday from now on though, Yurt!

You'll never guess what happened now.

The four picks that eugenious gave me have all been taken. This is what he PM'd me:

1. David Silva
    2. Santi Cazorla
    3. Gareth Bale
    4. Antonio Valencia

Please be still online. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

You'll never guess what happened now.

The four picks that eugenious gave me have all been taken. This is what he PM'd me:

1. David Silva
    2. Santi Cazorla
    3. Gareth Bale
    4. Antonio Valencia

Please be still online. :pac:

There's always Bébé

• Advertisement

His twitter is on his sig, and he appears to be active on that so maybe has it on a smartphone. I just tweeted him there, hopefully he gets back to me.

Advertisement