Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bullvine wrote: »
    Am I missing something, has no one picked Steven Gerrard yet?

I did at the start of this round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I know hes not the player he was but surprises me that he has only just been picked.

I know hes not the player he was but surprises me that he has only just been picked.

Surprised me too, was thinking of picking him over Sahin in round 3 and decided that Sahin and Dempsey would be better formation wise than Gerrard and Dempsey who's best positions are probably the same behind the striker role. Dempsey did it for years for Fulham on the left though which made it an easy choice to get Gerrard in round 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Gerrard still has a lot to offer and was absolute 'bargain' (if that makes sense) to be got in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ares wrote: »
    Can someone just throw him out of the competition. It was never funny, like pretty much every joke he makes on the forum.

Also BH, Ruiz is a great pick, I was hoping he'd fall to me at the bottom of the this round. Great little pick.

I forgive you.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Barton doesn't count either.

Still trying to figure out why someone would just do this to take the piss. Whatever gets you off I guess.

Honestly sh1t came up and I haven't have the time that I usually do.
    I'd get less hassle if I was one of the people who kept everyone waiting and had their picks made by proxy so consider me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Barton is not eligible. Simple.

Edit: Post made at same time as AC. :S

I forgive you.

I'd get less hassle if I was one of the people who kept everyone waiting and had their picks made by proxy so consider me out.

Your a funny guy though, I missed out on this because of you, well done, give yourself a big hug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I forgive you.

I reckon I can salvage his team if someone lets me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

SantryRed wrote: »

Now there's a challenge!
    It'd make sense anyway not to have 19 teams.

• Advertisement

lol, go go go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Honestly, there's no point. All you'll be doing is reducing the quality of players in the draft that other people would genuinely want. You'd have no chance of competing with any other team with those first 3 picks. And if you don't believe me, then take my word for it :p

Your a funny guy though, I missed out on this because of you, well done, give yourself a big hug!

My apologies to you bullvine.

As posted previously:

Honestly sh1t came up and I haven't had the time that I usually do.

My apologies to you bullvine.

As posted previously:

No problem!

Blatter wrote: »
    Honestly, there's no point. All you'll be doing is reducing the quality of players in the draft that other people would genuinely want. You'd have no chance of competing with any other team with those first 3 picks. And if you don't believe me, then take my word for it :p

Awww :(

Reckon we could have sneaked a last 16 win Celtic style :(

Awww :(

Reckon we could have sneaked a last 16 win Celtic style :(

Celtic wouldn't take those players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Fairly gutted I missed out on this, especially after watching the Euro draft develop.

Still some nice picks left out there, be interested in seeing who snaps them up!

Is it bad that I genuinely do think I could make a team out of them? :pac:

Could still have a sturdy defense :pac:

No problem!

Thank you.

Is it bad that I genuinely do think I could make a team out of them? :pac:

Could still have a sturdy defense :pac:

If you picked from the remaining players you could have a very decent team, but the quality of players will start to take a serious hit after the next two rounds I'd say.

I say you should be allowed play, however, if you wish to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Are we going to do the suggestion at the start about if you beat an opponent then you can choose one of their players to join your team. But you still have to keep up with the 3 players rule. I think it would be good

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    If you picked from the remaining players you could have a very decent team, but the quality of players will start to take a serious hit after the next two rounds I'd say.

I say you should be allowed play, however, if you wish to.

I think there's people on a waiting list but honestly, I think I could salvage the team. They aren't atrocious picks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I think there's people on a waiting list but honestly, I think I could salvage the team. They aren't atrocious picks.

There's no way you would win to be honest. Jones, Nolan, Adam and Carroll are the worst opening 4 picks by quite a distance and even if you were the best drafter from here on out - I don't see any way in which you could compensate for the top quality stars you have missed out on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Are we going to do the suggestion at the start about if you beat an opponent then you can choose one of their players to join your team. But you still have to keep up with the 3 players rule. I think it would be good
    I think that would be awfully unfair. Lets say the guy with Van Persie meets the guy with Hazard in the first round and the guy with Rooney in the second round. Makes a joke of all the effort put in to picking teams I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Andy's picks have an internal logic to them (well minus Jones) which would suit someone drafting around players that necessarily would be less of a fit for other drafters. Whether that would be enough to compensate is questionable but it would be fun to see a side whose vision would not be dependent on the types of player who define the "normal" first few picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

In fairness Nolan and Carroll are good picks. Adam is better than a lot of the midfielders that some folk will end up with.

It wouldn't be that hard to salvage at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

curry-muff wrote: »
    In fairness Nolan and Carroll are good picks. Adam is better than a lot of the midfielders that some folk will end up with.

Of course it would. He has missed out on the good defensive picks, the good wide picks.

He has a striker who is worse than the majority of those who have been drafted so far, and a centre midfield that can at best be described as average.

Add to that a keeper who will probably be among the worst drafted in the entire draft.

There is absolutely no chance.

Pablo Hernandez is a very good pick. He was brilliant against united for Valencia a few years ago. Really good signing for Swansea.

Of course it would. He has missed out on the good defensive picks, the good wide picks.

He has a striker who is worse than the majority of those who have been drafted so far, and a centre midfield that can at best be described as average.

Add to that a keeper who will probably be among the worst drafted in the entire draft.

There is absolutely no chance.

Sure there's only 20 teams, could I not just pick a keeper at the end when the draft is over? ;)

curry-muff wrote: »

It's a big ask.
    Those players should be picked in the 4th 5th and 6th rounds not 1st 2nd and 3rd.

Let them play though, it was designed for 20, let them see what they can do with it, I'll be interested to see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Best to just dump AC's team at this stage and give whoever plays him a bye. Impossible to get a decent team now and I wouldn't be surprised if people just voted for that team to take the piss.

• Advertisement

Either let andy continue picking the way he wants or knock the team out all together. At least he does be fairly quick with his picks

Scott Parker is an excellent pick for this stage

Scott Parker, Phil Jones and Younes Kaboul have played one game between them this season. I don't think they are very good picks at all unless they come back and are starting by the time this draft gets to the end.

Didn't they say it's based on current ability? i.e. what the player is capable of, with form a consideration in that?

Lucas was picked early and he's barley played a game in a year.

Being injured doesn't make you a bad player, he's still a good pick imo

Morzadec wrote: »
    Didn't they say it's based on current ability? i.e. what the player is capable of, with form a consideration in that?

Well if you are injured at the time of the draft and have been all season, then how can you give a player a good current ability? He might well be crocked so I think they are poor picks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Morzadec wrote: »

but it make their current ability questionable, a lot of players currently are not playing to the standard they did last season so why should these lads be considered to still be at their standards from last season

I suppose I would look at it as what you would expect the player to be playing like now - not a bit out of practice/lacking a bit of sharpness. But Parker's still a good shout at this stage even taking that into account imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Yeah i assumed we were basing it on what they were currently based on from the end of last season to the start of this season sort of thing.

ASOT wrote: »
    Yeah i assumed we were basing it on what they were currently based on from the end of last season to the start of this season sort of thing.

Current ability I see as how I'd expect them to play if they were perfectly medically fit and asked to play a game tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Hang on, ASOT, you couldn't pick Parker, you picked Defoe the previous round.

G.K. wrote: »
    Hang on, ASOT, you couldn't pick Parker, you picked Defoe the previous round.

Yeàh I compleatly forgot about that rule! Il change my pick now my bad lads.

Oh how shall I fix this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ASOT wrote: »
    Yeàh I compleatly forgot about that rule! Il change my pick now my bad lads.

Oh how shall I fix this?

Just delete your selection and pick again.

Sorted lads sorry, I wasn't paying attention Atall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

What happens if van persie is injured tomorrow and out for six months, is he then not good enough?

What happens if van persie is injured tomorrow and out for six months, is he then not good enough?
    Liam O wrote: »
    Current ability I see as how I'd expect them to play if they were perfectly medically fit and asked to play a game tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Liam O wrote: »

Sorry I'm agreeing with you, although I can see how it may come into the thought process if someone is always injured

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Surprised Carrick lasted that long!

eugeneious wrote: »
    Surprised Carrick lasted that long!

He's not going to control games for you so he's a wasted pick tbh.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

He's not going to control games for you so he's a wasted pick tbh.

Now that we're through 5 rounds and into the sixth with teams beginning to take shape could you, and any one else, like to give opinions on who is putting together a nice team so far and your reasons why.

Carrick is an excellent pick at this round imo. Ok he's not the number one playmaker in the world but considering the other players being picked at this stage he's a good shout.

• Advertisement
Advertisement