Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to roast a Large leg of Pork/ham

Options
  • 30-10-2012 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

With christmas under 2 months away I'm thinking of cooking a large leg ofpork this year to go with Christmas dinner. I love to cook, but have never atttempted to roast a piece of meat so large (i'm thinking 16lbs )

Can anyone offer any cooking ideas please? Also I was thinking what would it cost to buy a leg (€70/80 euro maybe?)

Thaks :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Would you try a shoulder of pork ? Really cheap around €12 you slow cook it, so no stress and you get the most amazing crackling with meat that just falls apart

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

foodaholic wrote: »
    Would you try a shoulder of pork ? Really cheap around €12 you slow cook it, so no stress and you get the most amazing crackling with meat that just falls apart

Wow, €12? that sounds very cheap. I think Nigella Lawson did 24 hour slow cooked pork. It was a monster of a thing. I was hoping to do something similar, as the hubby is a savage meat eater lol...and pork is his favourite. I'll look into the shoulder of pork too, thank you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 vinnyme

Shoulder is awesome, I've tried both with and without the bone and unboned gives the nicest results. A nice marinade, a nice rub, and then cook slow and low. Foolproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

It's a very economical cut - I cook a while shoulder about once a fortnight. Just find a good butcher. Pork knuckles are great too - €2 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Coca cola ham is awesome, we had it for Christmas last year. Well worth making anytime.

• Advertisement

Coca cola ham is awesome, we had it for Christmas last year. Well worth making anytime.

We do this every year!!! Thats why I wanted something ... different, It was Nigella that I first saw with the Coca COla, But this ear hubby said he wanted a Whole leg! I'm sure Nigella did a version of it, Slow cooked for 24 hours, and urned it after 12. But I want to be 100% sure before I attempt it. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'm sure Nigella did a version of it, Slow cooked for 24 hours, and urned it after 12. But I want to be 100% sure before I attempt it. :-)

Is this the recipe?

Nigella 24 Hour Pork

She uses pork shoulder in that one but a 6kg whopper.

Is this the recipe?

Nigella 24 Hour Pork

She uses pork shoulder in that one but a 6kg whopper.

Ohh...Thank you for that. Ya, its a big one I'm expected to do (no pressure like ! lol) about 14-15 lb....:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Might be a good idea to have a practice run beforehand so Xmas goes off without a hitch

Advertisement