Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Gold

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Roonbox wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a bullish downtrend.

Is your trading based on your technical analysis 'always' or '70%' of the time?

I meant it shown a ST bullish trend.

70% of the time its, for advanced traders its good as 90% or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Gold has taken a massive hit as expected soon its time to buy.

Here's my attempted Elloit wave Abc correction we are at the end of wave C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Nice analysis!

Load the truck time!

• Site Banned Posts: 107 ✭✭big_joe_joyce

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Nice analysis!

Load the truck time!

why load now when you can load at a lower price ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

A rare look inside a Swiss gold refinery

Though why bother with Gold. Bee Hives is where it's at! Bee Venom to be exact. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Though why bother with Gold. Bee Hives is where it's at! Bee Venom to be exact. lol

So the guys who are selling the stuff "hope" that it will work. Well, I'm going all in into their stock!

(sarcasm)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Hey guys,

I know this thread is old but still relevant to the initial OP.

I am seriously thinking of buying gold.

What is the best way to go about this and also gain knowledge on the subject?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Contact Goldcore & check out their website

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭reactadabtc

I always find it very interesting to look at these threads in hingsignt. OP was advised not to buy gold 11 years ago. Since this post the price of gold was risen from 1,283.48 to 1,962. It was nearly 2500 a few months ago. Not the most spectacular ROI, but not awful either.

Lets compare to other assets from the date of this OP.

• Gold ROI: 53.17%
    • S&P 500 ROI: 221.41%
    • Nasdaq ROI: 297.73%
    • FTSE 100 ROI: 16.79%
    • If you had the foresight to buy Bitcoin though, you would be doing spectacular at 33,179.60%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,994 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sure if the "had the foresight" to invest in Nvidia they'd have beaten all the above.

It's always dangerous to look back and convince yourself that you would have done X or Y. It's not different to dreaming about how you could have easily be the house on the 40:1 horse that won last week.

A minor point about your returns though. You need to calculate total returns rather than just on the base index level (which you are probably doing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭notsocutehoor

Some of these old topics are pure gold (pardon the pun), but this wasn't the best one on Gold/Silver, there was another classic one where a couple of posters (pretty sure DarkDusk was one of them and consolidated may have been the other) bigged gold/silver on an hourly/daily basis for probably a year before retiring ungracefully never to be seen or heard from again when their outrageous predictions didn't materialise. It was comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I don't own gold but I'm curious how people choose to hold a gold position. Do you buy physical gold and keep it in your sock drawer. Do you buy a gold ETF,

Pros and cons to weigh up with both with ease of liquidity and security!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I know this is the gold thread, but I've seen a few articles on the price of silver skyrocketing due to demand from battery manufacturing due to Samsungs silver solid state battery breakthrough.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭antimatterx

My only issue with silver here is that if you want to actually own the metal in Ireland you're paying spot price + vat. With gold there's no vat.

I think all metals will do well. But you'll need to get your silver exposure through an etf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭growleaves

Personally I don't get too excited about industrial metals - including silver - unless you can catch them at a sweet spot of multi-year lows for buying.

Investing in e.g. copper during a big recession, if you have time and money to play the long game, is one strategy.

Gold otoh keeps up with inflation. It is always a good investment, though not necessarily a spectacular one. It's doing very well right now hence all the attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Didn't realise the vat implications, have a few 1 ounce coins, not much though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 StackingSilver

As with anything investment related, it's all based on risk assessment. People who believe fiat currency is doomed to fail are very long on gold. Conversely many people will call those people crazy, and say gold is an investment with pitiful returns, and you are better off with bonds or real estate as a hedge. I'm in between these two camps, which is why it's not my entire portfolio. I do very much believe in it though. Maybe the bitcoin guys could learn a thing or two from the gold guys, lol.

Advertisement