Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting insulation through Electric Ireland

• 30-10-2012 3:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭

I heard their advert on the radio tonight so decided to check out their prices to see if I might get some done.

For their loft insulation, their advert says:

"Typical cost of attic insulation for a 3 or 4 bed semi-detached house is around €1,935* and there is a potential SEAI grant of up to €200** for the work"

That seems very very high. Going to B&Q or Homebase would get you some amount of insulation for €1900.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi NIMAN,

Prices vary depending on the type of attic insulation the customer wishes to avail of. For example whether it is:

> Ceiling level attic insulation
    > Rafter level attic insulation
    > Flat roof attic insulation

These are indicative prices and all depend on the actual square footage of the attic itself. The use which the attic is put to has an impact on cost also - i.e. living space or storage. If it is just for storage, the customer may not need to have the rafters included, as there is no need to trap heat just for storage.

Our attic insulation includes insulation of pipes, water-tank and installation of a safe walkway from hatch to tank.

If you would like a more tailored quote, try our Quick Quote at www.electricirelandquickquote.ie or call 1850 372 333 to have one of our experts call to your home and provide you with a quote (no charge for this).

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for the reply Una, but most 3 or 4 bed semi are of a certain size, and even for all the work you listed, I would say that nearly €2k sounds expensive.

I have a 4 bed detached house, and the price of €2k for a semi has scared me from ever phoning you to find out more information. I am no expert but even if I brought in a local insulation guy I would say I could get some job for well below that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Dont bother with the likes of ESB or Bord Gais. Plenty of small independent contractors would be grateful if you called them. The list for each county is on the SEAI website. BTW €1900 is almost twice what it should cost for your average 3 bed semi with insulation on ceiling joists.

Advertisement