Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

returning to dublin from brisbane

• 30-10-2012 4:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Myself, wife and 3 young kids are returning to dublin after 6 months in oz for personal reasons. I am a carpenter and I am trying desperately to try make contacts for work. I am fully qualified for over 16 years.. spent the last 12 years with one of Ireland's leading interior construction companies. We will return home in early January so just thought if anyone reading here could offer any help it very much appreciated. I've a good cv that I can mail. I'm aware of the work situation at home so can we please steer clear of the doom and gloom replies... cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm in Brissy, I can't help you with work contacts but am nosy to know why you'd want to leave? Sure aren't the houses here all made of wood you should be raking it in :P and why would you want to go back to Dublin.... yuck....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

are you answering a question nobody asked? :confused:

pmcmahon wrote: »
    are you answering a question nobody asked? :confused:

?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tfarrell

Personal circumstances. Don't want to get into an Ireland v Australia debate. Just need to go home and trying to get a job to support my family. Cheers.

I'm in Brissy, I can't help you with work contacts but am nosy to know why you'd want to leave? Sure aren't the houses here all made of wood you should be raking it in :P and why would you want to go back to Dublin.... yuck....

tfarrell wrote: »
    Personal circumstances. Don't want to get into an Ireland v Australia debate. Just need to go home and trying to get a job to support my family. Cheers.

Fair enough. Wish you well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I would hate to be returning to ireland in jan....love it in Oz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

honestly though there's **** all out there,especially returning it's probably going to be a long time getting the dole as well.I'd advise against a move back,if it's unavoidable however try take as long as you can to get some cash up and look for work somewhere for work in England where you might be able to pop back on the weekends.

I wish I could make money to save while I'm here but while my pay is higher over here as too are rent, mortgage interest rates, groceries, utilities etc. I will have to go home to Ireland initially but if I cannot source work I will go to England to see if there's anything there. Really hoping that luck will be on my side and I get something at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

I noticed your thread on the poms in oz forum. Best of luck getting work when you get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Maybe you would get more advice in one the other sections of boards!? Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

What? No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

theirs no work period in ireland for carpentry
    best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

I'd strongly consider enrolling yourself in a new course to begin a change of career. My brother is a carpenter, damn good one too. Not a scrap of work in the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

could you make the jump to site manager in commercial fit out? There is certainly some work in that area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭3GAINSBOROUGH

I want to warn you about the HRC (Habitual Residence Condition) before you return.
    You will not be eligible to claim any social welfare assistance such as dole when you return as you have not been habitually resident within the state for 2 years. A break of as little as 3 months is enough to fail the HRC.
    I am speaking from personal experience here, and an Irish citizen who was refused dole due to the HRC.
    Many returning Irish are being refused the dole due to the HRC.
    My advice is to stay in Australia where there is work. There is no carpentry work in Ireland now.
    I know tradesmen that are travelling 1 and half hours away from home for a days work at 100 Euro per day. They are lucky to get a run of 2-3 days work in any week. Think about that for a second; 3 hours travelling plus an 8 hour day for 100 Euro. When you take your 30 Euro of diesel out of it, its not worth doing. That is the current state of the building trade here.
    I have driven through Roscommon and seen Brazillian labourers waiting by the roadside waiting to be hired on the lump for 5 Euro per hour cash in hand, or 30 Euro for the day. They are even undercutting the Polish labourers that would be glad to work for 50 Euro cash per day.
    When you see that happening, you know the building trade is finished in this country. Not even the Polish can get work now and are returning home. You will see ads on Gumtree etc looking for Carpenters, Plasterers, Plumbers etc; but they will often specify Eastern European wanted or Polish. The reason being that many of them will work cheaper than Irish trade rates for a days work. That's just the way it is. During the Celtic Tiger many Irish profitted from rip off prices for work, but now the boots on the other foot and they are hungry for work.
    I wish you the best of luck with coming home, but realistically you wont be going back to carpentry work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Might not sound ideal OP but a number of lads I know who used to work in the construction industry (and did well but then... well you know yourself: sh1t, fan and all that) made the transition to customer service. They all seem to be doing really well in it and have been promoted. I know it's not amazing money but they have families and manage to get by fine.
    It's an area where there are jobs.

Factory work? Good money for shift-work. I know it's not what you're qualified to do but as a means to an end... You'd probably get nixers here and there too.
    GiftofGab wrote: »
    I would hate to be returning to ireland in jan....love it in Oz
    Seriously like, the guy made it clear he has to return home.
    People are different: I'd hate to live in Australia, it's stupidly hot and too far from my family. Dublin's a great city IMO.

Thanks for the replies. Like I said I can't stay in Australia . I'm purely on here asking for help for my return. I'm aware of the work situation, I only left 6 months ago. Just trying every avenue possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

tfarrell wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Like I said I can't stay in Australia . I'm purely on here asking for help for my return. I'm aware of the work situation, I only left 6 months ago. Just trying every avenue possible.
    Sorry to read it's so difficult - hope it works out, and soon.

Advertisement