Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all ireland winning captains

• 30-10-2012 9:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭

anybody find it a bit sad to see two of our all ireland winning captains (we dont have too many btw) involved in fistycuffs at a minor match? they say a camera never lies but id love to know more of the ins and outs of it. anybody out there at the match in question?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

A report of the incident was carried in yesterday's Indo for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dublin-hurling-manager-anthony-daly-in-pitch-bustup-3277195.html

There is a follow-up story this morning.
    Anthony Daly waits to find out if he faces suspension for fracas

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/anthony-daly-waits-to-find-out-if-he-faces-suspension-for-fracas-3277619.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

thanks mrs d.have all that info. am more interested in first hand accounts though.

pilate 1 wrote: »
    thanks mrs d.have all that info. am more interested in first hand accounts though.
    I'm aware of that pilate1, I've added the links for the benefit of people who may not be familiar with the incident you are referring to.

Edit:

I've just found a few accounts over in the GAA forum you might want to check out if you haven't already done so.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055812342&page=59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Clareman's account of what happened.
    Clareman wrote: »
    As for the minor, there should be a bit of fall out over this, either that or the usual "sweep it under the carpet thing will happen", I spoke to 3 people who were at the match yesterday and they all gave the same account as to what happened, Clarecastle mentor went to accost a Kilmaley player, Kilmaley mentor got in between, Clarecastle mentor hit first, few more Clarecastle mentors joined in, Kilmaley mentor was hit the ground and was hit & kicked while on the ground, both the Clarecastle and Kilmaley mentor were sent off.

What I found most bizzare and stupid were Fianna Fail's Cllr Tom McNamara's description of the event.............

''Cllr McNamara described the participants in the row as "characters" and added: "It was the funniest you ever saw because it looked like Romer was going to get a hammering -- one of them went for him and he fell over and the other fellas went straight over him."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dublin-hurling-manager-anthony-daly-in-pitch-bustup-3277195.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Kudos to whomever took those photos in The Clare Courier!

• Advertisement

I found an interesting comment piece in today's Indo. I think it is well worth reading.
    How could such an astute man as Anthony let himself down like that?

TO reverse Shakespeare's famous line: "We come to praise Dalo, not to bury him."

Because that's probably the first reaction, isn't it, to those pictures of Dublin hurling boss Anthony Daly embroiled in fisticuffs?

Criticise, complain, lambast, slag off. Hit the speed-dial to 'Liveline' and prepare to get outraged. Start writing an angry email to someone, anyone: "Won't someone think of the children?" Basically badmouth him from here to eternity.

In short, bury him.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/how-could-such-an-astute-man-as-anthony-let-himself-down-like-that-3277592.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I found an interesting comment piece in today's Indo. I think it is well worth reading.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/how-could-such-an-astute-man-as-anthony-let-himself-down-like-that-3277592.html

And what is your own opinion MrsD007?

Balagan wrote: »
    And what is your own opinion MrsD007?
    I don't think anyone is too interested in my opinions these days ;)

I liked that piece as it mentions Daly's highs and lows. None of us are perfect in this life, we all have made mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Who are the two All Ireland winning captains by the way?
    Did Romer win an All Ireland?

buck65 wrote: »
    He won an All Ireland junior title in '93.

1993 – CLARE: Noel Considine; Liam Doyle, Francis Corey, Brian Lynch; Sean Power, Terry Kennedy, Niall Romer (Captain); Damien Considine, Christy “Rusty” Chaplin; Paul O’Rourke, Ciaran O’Neill, Brian Quinn; Brendan McNamara, Val Donnellan, Ger Rodgers.
    Subs: Colin Lynch John McKenna.

http://munster.gaa.ie/history/jh_teams/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If anyone cares, my opinion on the whole matter (going on what I've heard from a few people) is that Howard and Romer should both get a ban following on from their red cards, whatever bans they get should be matched (if not surpassed) for Sheedy and Daly, I've no problem with people getting into a row, this always happens any time people are playing sport, it's the 3rd and subsequent people in who keep the whole thing going that cause most of the trouble and are usually more premediated, the first people involved usually react to something and get at it, the others have time to look, survey and run in, although saying that apparantly Romer's fellow mentors for Kilmaley went cowering into the corner in case anything happened and it took a couple of lads in the crowd, including Daly's brother in law, to save Romer.

Also, I don't think it should matter who the people are or what they've done, rules are rules and they should be followed and sanctions doled out accordingly, I think it's a bad sign that a great game of underage hurling (by all accounts) is overshadowed by what the adults are doing on the sideline, with the whole "Give Repect, Get Respect"initiative going on I would expect mentors to be setting and example for the young players and if they can't do that then they shouldn't be allowed over a team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

buck65 wrote: »

Romer was captain of the juniors of 93, himself Liam Doyle and Terry Kennedy were 1 of the best half back lines ever to play for Clare, they put on an exhibition of half back play in the All Ireland final against Kilkenny on a dour day in Croke Park before the Leinster Final replay between Kilkenny and Wexford, which was 1 of the dirtiest games of hurling I've ever seen. A number of that 93 team went on to star for the seniors.

Romer was also involved in the Clare Intermediates that won the All Ireland last year, he was also involved in a Kilmaley team that won an Under 21 title a few years ago.

He won an All Ireland junior title in '93.

1993 – CLARE: Noel Considine; Liam Doyle, Francis Corey, Brian Lynch; Sean Power, Terry Kennedy, Niall Romer (Captain); Damien Considine, Christy “Rusty” Chaplin; Paul O’Rourke, Ciaran O’Neill, Brian Quinn; Brendan McNamara, Val Donnellan, Ger Rodgers.
    Subs: Colin Lynch John McKenna.

http://munster.gaa.ie/history/jh_teams/

Thanks for that MrsD, that match brings back some great memories for me, I had to force the father to go to it, the seniors seemed to have being going no-where and we just after being beaten easily in the Munster final, I remember getting the train up to it like it was yesterday. The team didn't line out like that, Doyle played on the wing that day, I'm positive on that 1, also, Conor Clancy was a sub that day, I believe Clancy holds the honour of the most won for Clare and usually have a bet with people on it, he was on the 89 minor team, junior team and 95&97 teams, he's 1 of the most underrated hurlers in the history of Clare hurling, in fact, how he didn't get man of the match in the 95 All Ireland Final I've never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

We have had some threads about other socially unacceptable behaviour ... although with more lethal weapons for the most part ...... and the reactions to those incidents were, IMO of course, much less accepting than for this disgraceful incident, based on the links provided.

I believe the 'punishment' meted out (if any), for this incident, will tell a lot about our society.

It might help answer the question .... 'does it matter who and what you are when you do something socially unacceptable?' ........

By the way, in case people are wondering why we aren't locking this thread when we have locked other threads with similar "socially unacceptable behaviour" it's because the guards are not looking into this case so it's not an ongoing legal case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It's pathetic. That's what it is. Men old enough to know better....... Absolutely pathetic.

By the way, in case people are wondering why we aren't locking this thread when we have locked other threads with similar "socially unacceptable behaviour" it's because the guards are not looking into this case so it's not an ongoing legal case.

gosh everybody seems to be getting very sensitive lately:)

Not only men that should know better but men who would have hurled together, Daly and Romer definitely would have been on the same panel in the late 80s/early 90s, Sheedy would have been around there as well, I can't remember Howard ever playing for Clare.

Not condoing anyone or anything, but you really would expect better composure from inter-county managers, to see the Kerry and Dublin senior managers behave like that does not do anything for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 John from ennis

Not only men that should know better but men who would have hurled together, Daly and Romer definitely would have been on the same panel in the late 80s/early 90s, Sheedy would have been around there as well, I can't remember Howard ever playing for Clare.

Not condoing anyone or anything, but you really would expect better composure from inter-county managers, to see the Kerry and Dublin senior managers behave like that does not do anything for anyone.

i for one have read and suffered enough of your bullsh1t statements on the internet.

back the **** up with your libelous statement dude. you werent there,you witnessned nothing, but you compose a verdict based on "3 independant witness" if these 3 independant witnesses were to be quoted by someone else,they would be sniped,and banned...

ppl,ignore claremans quote earlier,he wasnt there............... and thats all people need to know.:rolleyes:

I don't think anyone is too interested in my opinions these days ;)

I liked that piece as it mentions Daly's highs and lows. None of us are perfect in this life, we all have made mistakes.

did you ever have an opinion?

say what you feel about what you know,if like clareman you know nothing.................... then say nothing,everyone happy.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

i for one have read and suffered enough of your bullsh1t statements on the internet.

back the **** up with your libelous statement dude. you werent there,you witnessned nothing, but you compose a verdict based on "3 independant witness" if these 3 independant witnesses were to be quoted by someone else,they would be sniped,and banned...

ppl,ignore claremans quote earlier,he wasnt there............... and thats all people need to know.:rolleyes:

The whole county knows what happened and Clareman is right. Do not defend the indefensible.

it would appear from youre quote( john from ennis )that you were in fact there.
    any chance you could enlighten us all?

Welcome to boards John from Ennis, I would ask that you read the charter and enjoy your time here, I would especially as you to adhere by the mantra of "Attack the Post not the Poster", also, please try to tone down your comments, they could be considered by some people as aggressive.

Finally, if you have a problem with a post, use the report post function and people will review it and take your concerns on board.

tone down your comments, they could be considered by some people as aggressive.

Finally, if you have a problem with a post, use the report post function and people will review it and take your concerns on board.
    you what? they could be:rolleyes: indeed they could,then again...........

i was indeed at the game but i have no intention of feeding this forum any of my knowledge as it would be locked on a whim!mainly as im calling the mans post on here nothing but pure speculation and 2/3 hand information. be clear on that now clareman,what you posted here is nothing other than speculation and hearsay,there is nothing in the papers local or otherwise to substansiate your post.

a suggestion to you would be to leave speculation aside and concentrate on facts. and you wont get any facts on an anonymous website wher one is free to libel someone based on half truths.

not happy at all clareman,not one bit! especially your condescending tone,

i bid you good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

I am closing this thread now for two reasons:
    1. Topics like this should be discussed in the Feedback forum - not in the Clare forum itself.
    2. Recent posts have taken the thread off-topic & have moved towards personally attacking a moderator.

Emergency - Mod under attack can someone please lock this post before someone gets hurt:D

Claregirl banned for back seat modding

Joke (this time), mods are just regular posters wiht a few extra buttons to press. I will say that the people I spoke to and gave me their opinions on what happened are all very good hurling people and the "story" is the same from all sources, finally, I didn't see how anything I said could be considered libellous.

Welcome to boards John from Ennis, I would ask that you read the charter and enjoy your time here, I would especially as you to adhere by the mantra of "Attack the Post not the Poster", also, please try to tone down your comments, they could be considered by some people as aggressive.

aggressive is not the word for it really. as one who has posted first, thought later
    (hi mrs d) were you at the match john? and can you shed some light?

pilate 1 wrote: »
    aggressive is not the word for it really. as one who has posted first, thought later
    (hi mrs d) were you at the match john? and can you shed some light?

sorry didnt realise john from ennis was at the match but dosent want to reply to the thread starter.keep venting john"youre a prime boy allright":o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'd be embarrassed if it was my auld lad boxing some fella around a GAA pitch....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kilnababe

Seriously would have to question how many posters on this thread regularly attend club games. Probably as much pushing at the Shinty junior camogie parade last Saturday. Don't get on the high horse if you can't ride.

Advertisement