Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all ireland winning captains

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Kilnababe wrote: »
    Seriously would have to question how many posters on this thread regularly attend club games. Probably as much pushing at the Shinty junior camogie parade last Saturday. Don't get on the high horse if you can't ride.

A sublime forum-defining post! There have been eye-watering ones to choose from in the past few days in a few threads but surely, although the standard is startling, this one's a winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Kilnababe wrote: »
    Seriously would have to question how many posters on this thread regularly attend club games. Probably as much pushing at the Shinty junior camogie parade last Saturday. Don't get on the high horse if you can't ride.

This is a classic. Yeah, pucking and digging goes on at loads of GAA matches, but that's not to say it's right. It goes on in soccer and rugby games too. There have been sideline incidents. But all are few and far between in all sports including GAA, which goes to show that most of the time, people couldn't be arsed taking it further than verbals.
    It's like guys who are getting into fights on nights out when they are young. You either end up growing out of it in your 20s and you "grow up". Or you continue doing it in your 30s and 40s, and it just begins to look pathetic, embarrassing and sad. I would have thought the people in question would be old enough to know better. Would they still go out and get in a fight in a pub, or would they have the good sense in their older years to avoid it and walk away?
    Now, they were probably as wound up as the players on the pitch, but they are supposed to be "managers" who manage situations like this with calm.
    I just don't get it. Not one bit. There aren't really any excuses for it. But "I wasn't there, so I don't know what went on". No. But it looks as sad as the fight at the end of Knuckle with two old men. Sad. It's unfortunate that some GAA matches turn into glorified faction fights, as if the next parish over is culturally, linguistically and ethnically different to their own...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

To be honest what's annoying me about all this is that no-one is talking about the great game of hurling, 1-16 to 1-15 is great scoring in a 60 minute game, the fact that it was in October makes it even more remarkable, apparantly the side line cut to win the game was a great score and if Henry Shefflin or Joe Canning had scored it it'd be talked about for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Clareman wrote: »
    To be honest what's annoying me about all this is that no-one is talking about the great game of hurling, 1-16 to 1-15 is great scoring in a 60 minute game, the fact that it was in October makes it even more remarkable, apparantly the side line cut to win the game was a great score and if Henry Shefflin or Joe Canning had scored it it'd be talked about for years.
    That's very true. I wasn't at the match either so won't comment on what happened.

But I was told the game of hurling itself was meant to be superb with the Conor Cleary from Kilmaley showing balls of utter steel to loft over a sideline ball to win the game in injury time.

Tis true for you, if Canning or Shefflin did it, it'd be the stuff of legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

Clareman wrote: »

i started the thread to see if anyone at the match could tell me what happened
    and why,not to slag anyone.i got answers to a point.to be fair clareman if cody and cunningham indulged in a daly/romer i doubt very much if the quality of the match would figure high in peoples posts;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Romer was screwed initially by the county board-really impartial lot, I'd say-but he's been totally exonerated.
    Romer's fault? Non Irish name, he says it as it is, and he asks uncomfortable questions

http://www.clarepeople.com/2013/01/29/romer-in-minor-final-victory/

Advertisement