Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property groups call for extension of mortgage interest relief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

davet82 wrote: »

Just another vested interest lobbying the government ahead of the budget, sure there's hundreds of them. Won't change anything.

Nothing to see here :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The interest paid on property loans has been reduced to 75% of the total amount paid and looks like being reduced further. I do no know the exact situation for owner occupiers but I think it is capped at €1000 or so per annum and is also likely to be reduced.

All these allowances do is to increase the price of houses artificially and rule out low paid people from buying a house. I doubt the INF/Troika will allow Ireland to do anything too different from international practice, ie more property taxes and less allowances for buying a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

So let me get this straight, after the disaster that was the last property bubble people want to go and start a whole new one :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Seriously are some people bloody nuts or what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

doolox wrote: »
    The interest paid on property loans has been reduced to 75% of the total amount paid and looks like being reduced further. I do no know the exact situation for owner occupiers but I think it is capped at €1000 or so per annum and is also likely to be reduced.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tim9002

Mortgage interest relief should have been phased out years ago, never mind extending it for another two years. Hope Noonan isn't stupid enough to extend it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just another vested interest lobbying the government ahead of the budget, sure there's hundreds of them. Won't change anything.

Nothing to see here
    and the government arent a vested interest group? they more than anyone would like to see prices rise, and there are a lot of reasons why! owning the biggest private property portfolio in the world is the first one!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

I would be against this.

It is a subsidy for home owners (usually wealthy) as it increases the price of the house.

It is a subsidy for the well paid, as those on low salaries do not earn enough to take advantage of it.

The tax to fund it is paid by all of us, but some of us cannot benefit from it.

I have no problem with paying tax to fund the dole or other social welfare payments, but I do have a problem with paying tax to make wealthy people richer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Equality wrote: »
    It is a subsidy for the well paid, as those on low salaries do not earn enough to take advantage of it.

it's a tax relief given at source, so it doesn't matter how much you earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

those "well paid" are paying vastly more tax than the low paid, who pay virtually nothing in direct taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If the government approves this, we'll know for a fact that we've learned nothing in this country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement