Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Vs Manchester United - Capital One Cup fourth round

• 30-10-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

matchday.jpg

Yes I know it's a day away, But i made a graphic and wanted to use it :)

With everything that has happened over the weekend - I really hope Mark Clattenburg is the ref :)

It will be interesting to see what teams line out.

I predict a 2 - 1 win to United with 7 Yellow cards and 1 red

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd say Chelsea will win. I predict the following line up...
    De Gea
    Rafael Smalling Evans Buttner
    Fletcher Anderson
    Nani Rooney Welbeck
    Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

With Arsenal on Saturday no way Rooney will be starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I'd say Chelsea will win. I predict the following line up...
    De Gea
    Rafael Smalling Evans Buttner
    Fletcher Anderson
    Nani Rooney Welbeck
    Hernandez

I wouldn't think Rooney would start,

I'd say Welbeck / Hernandez will .

Nani / Anderson / Fletcher / Young Midfield.

Back link looks right.

As for the keeper, If Lindegaard is fit i would say he'll start.

Rooney is better when he's playing regularly, and with no Kagawa I would not be at all surprised to see him start. It's either him in there or Cleverley, both of which will probably be starting against Aresnal.

Personally, I'd like to see Powell in there, but that's never going to happen.

Scholes could start, didn't play on Sunday, maybe save Fletcher for Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Also, Chelsea will have a strong line up imo, they're not going to want to lose a 3rd game in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I hope Smalling starts,be great to have him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Also, Chelsea will have a strong line up imo, they're not going to want to lose a 3rd game in a row.

No Terry , Torres or Ivanovic for them.

They'll prob give Marin & Moses a game .

Think we will win .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Chelsea don't have the biggest squad so I'd expect to see a lot of the same players as sundays team, although I reckon Moses, Azpi, Bertrand & Sturridge will start, Piazon & Marin should be involved too.

Not really bothered too much about the result tbh, and I can't see united putting out a strong team with Arsenal at the weekend. but hopefully its a good game of football with a few goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Should be a decent battle of the fringe players

Id imagine we will win 2-1

Turnbull

Ceasar
    Cahill
    Luiz
    Bertrand

Mikel
    Oriol

---Moses
    Piazon
    Marin---

Sturridge

We might start Oscar instead of Piazon but either way, we are a better team :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Scholes could start, didn't play on Sunday, maybe save Fletcher for Arsenal.

other way around i would imagine. Fletcher and Ando will start IMO.

the team wont be far off this

Lindegaard

Rafael
    Wooton
    Evans
    Buttner

Nani
    Fletcher
    Ando
    Young

Hernandez
    Welbeck

Lindegaard

Rafael
    Wooton
    Evans
    Buttner

Nani
    Fletcher
    Ando
    Young

Hernandez
    Welbeck

Thats the team i would think will start. 1 possible change would be Wooton for Smalling if fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

There'll be big changes for both clubs. Hopefully the last game wont put a dampner on this game.

I can see Utd's squad beating our squad in Extra Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Lindegaard

Rafael
    Wooton
    Evans
    Buttner

Nani
    Fletcher
    Ando
    Young

Hernandez
    Welbeck

Smalling to play at eithe rb or cb

GavRedKing wrote: »
    There'll be big changes for both clubs. Hopefully the last game wont put a dampner on this game.

I can see Utd's squad beating our squad in Extra Time.

chelsea dont have a big enough squad to make many changes, especially with 2 suspensions and terry/lampard missing.

chelsea dont have a big enough squad to make many changes, especially with 2 suspensions and terry/lampard missing.

Not at the back, yes, but we'll still have about 7 changes I reckon.

Against Utd Sunday,

Cech
    Ivan Luiz Cahill Cole
    Ramires Mikel
    Mata Oscar Hazard
    Torres

Against Utd Wednesday I'd say it will be,

Turnbull
    Azp Cahill Luiz Bertrand
    Romeu Mikel/Ramires
    Moses Piazon Marin
    Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can see this going to penalties. Result depends on United line up.

Turnbull
    Azp Cahill Luiz Bertrand
    Romeu Mikel/Ramires
    Moses Piazon Marin
    Sturridge

yes, but that team is very poor and i would think uniteds next best 8 or 9 players, is much better than that, though ive not seen alot of Azp, Moses, Piazon. Romeu and Sturridge are very hit and miss also.
    Result depends on United line up.

exactly. if Chelsea make multiple changes, i would fancy us to win this game as our second string is stronger IMO.

the likes of Lindegaard, Scholes, Nani, Fletcher/Anderson, Welbeck, hernandez, Young are all much better than their potential opponents if Chelsea make changes in the same positions.

Chelsea have pretty much the same 11 against Spurs, Donetsk and United however means they surely need to make multiple changes and i think if United go with the players above plus Wooton, Buttern and then maybe Evans and Rafael for example, that its a game United will be better in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I want us to win with the aid of a very dodgy penalty after 6 minutes of injury time when only 2 were added on.

yes, but that team is very poor and i would think uniteds next best 8 or 9 players, is much better than that, though ive not seen alot of Azp, Moses, Piazon. Romeu and Sturridge are very hit and miss also.

exactly. if Chelsea make multiple changes, i would fancy us to win this game as our second string is stronger IMO.

the likes of Lindegaard, Scholes, Nani, Fletcher/Anderson, Welbeck, hernandez, Young are all much better than their potential opponents if Chelsea make changes in the same positions.

Chelsea have pretty much the same 11 against Spurs, Donetsk and United however means they surely need to make multiple changes and i think if United go with the players above plus Wooton, Buttern and then maybe Evans and Rafael for example, that its a game United will be better in.

I agree, Utd's 2nd string is more experienced and Fergie, as always will pick his best 2nd team for this and Utd should have enough to beat us.

Theres no way RDM will send out a regular XI, to do so would be stupid.

Neither club will take this competition seriously, I'm sure though you'll get a few Chelsea fans looking for revenge but TBH it means nothing and is just adding to the dramatics.

The only winners in this is Sky, they'll be running stupid videos prior to K/O and segments and keep going back to Sunday.

• Advertisement

The most important thing is .......... Do you all like my header Image :)

I agree, Utd's 2nd string is more experienced and Fergie, as always will pick his best 2nd team for this and Utd should have enough to beat us.

hmmm i dunno, theres a chance that Fergie could actually go towards our 3rd team with only 3 or 4 of our second team included. there appears to be a chance that Smalling maybe involved, but Fergie maybe waiting on him until Saturday.

The likes of Brady, Wooton, Veseli, Johnstone, Lingard, Cole and Tunnicliffe could be in with a shot of starting and i think that would be bad news, as playing in a game like this maybe a step up too much for them.

the careers of Macheda and Bebe (played in a reserve friendly today) look totally doomed, though a loan to the Championship for both is a must at this stage, even try to get macheda in at a team that has few striking options such as Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

NeVeR wrote: »
    The most important thing is .......... Do you all like my header Image :)

Mmmm.... Lampard is out injured and I doubt Hazard will play. Plus the United kits are from last season. You'll have to do better than that... :p

Nah, it's very pretty:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

FatherTed wrote: »
    Mmmm.... Lampard is out injured and I doubt Hazard will play. Plus the United kits are from last season. You'll have to do better than that... :p

Nah, it's very pretty:rolleyes:

The season before that even!

hey it's all i had lol.. I was in work rushing :)

Wouldn't it be funny if every player was allowed to dress up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Ferguson has confirmed that Smalling isn't ready for this game.

Be great to have him back for Arsenal but I imagine it will be a substitute appearance.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be funny if every player was allowed to dress up?

Chelsea players in KKK outfits or SS costumes. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Think Chelsea will make alot of changes..

- - - -Turnbull - - -
    Cesar - Cahill - Luiz - Bertrand
    - Romeu - Mikel
    Moses - Piazon - Marin
    - - - Sturridge - - -

That could be it but hoping that maybe Hazard or Oscar will play, as United wont have a bad side out at all I think!

That really is our squad stretched to the limit too..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Is Lamps injured?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

chelsea will win :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

G.K. wrote: »
    Is Lamps injured?
    yes just before the last England game.
    I think he be back in another 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I was going to give this a miss, but after last night I think I'll sit down and match.

also interested to see Marko Marin in the flesh, only because he is a tremendous winger for my MUFC team in footie manager ;)

Is Lamps injured?

Yeah, he came off injured against Shakhtar. I think that none of the suspended/injured players would of played in this fixture anyway so I wouldnt worryabout that.

I'm kind of glad we're missing so many, at least now we'll get to see some of the younger lads get a run out, which is a rarity at Chelsea.

If Sturridge and Azpilecueta can have good games they could easily dislodge Torres and Ivanovic from the team.

I'd be in favour of dropping Ivanovic anyway, hes a good squad player but he hasnt good enough to be considered a top class FB, not consistently anyway.

I'd also drop Oscar for a few league games and play Moses, his directness and willing to carry the ball would be a big advantage, all we'd have to do is shift Hazard/Mata in field to play him.

• Advertisement

If Sturridge and Azpilecueta can have good games they could easily dislodge Torres and Ivanovic from the team.

I'd be in favour of dropping Ivanovic anyway, hes a good squad player but he hasnt good enough to be considered a top class FB, not consistently anyway.

I'd also drop Oscar for a few league games and play Moses, his directness and willing to carry the ball would be a big advantage, all we'd have to do is shift Hazard/Mata in field to play him.

I'd agree with you on Ivanovic Gav, but considering his favoured position is CB he has been outstanding for us playing out of position, he's also chipped in with a fair amount of goals.

Looking forward to seeing a bit more of Azpi, I'm hoping for a big game out of him tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Lindegaard

Buttner
    Keane
    Wootner
    Veseli

Nani
    Fletcher
    Powell
    Brady

Wellbeck
    Hernandez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Lindegaard

Buttner
    Keane
    Wootner
    Veseli

Nani
    Fletcher
    Powell
    Brady

Wellbeck
    Hernandez

There is no way Veseli should play ahead of Vermijl ever. He's muck

Lindegaard

Buttner
    Keane
    Wootner
    Veseli

Nani
    Fletcher
    Powell
    Brady

Wellbeck
    Hernandez

I would say you have about 5-6 people correct. ( In red)

In blue are possibles
    others I don't think

I think that defense would be way to weak.

Would not be surprised to see Evans start in defense.

Lindegaard

Buttner
    Keane
    Wootner
    Veseli

Nani
    Fletcher
    Powell
    Brady

Wellbeck
    Hernandez

Just to add. If we were playing any other team apart from Chelsea i would say 90% of these could play, But with it being Chelsea and what happening over the weekend I don't think we will put out a weak team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

United have an awful habit of coming unstuck against weaker opposition in this competition :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Is Lamps injured?

Will Clattenburg be fit for this one?

FatherTed wrote: »
    Will Clattenburg be fit for this one?

well considering that he gave practically all key decisions in the favour of chelsea the last day, i think they will be hoping he is fit.

the linesman however that gave the goal to United, wont be involved i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Seriously considering giving this game a miss. All this coverage of racist and abusive language allegations, inconsistent disciplinary decisions, poor refereeing decisions, United buying refs nonsense, what constitutes a foul and if diving is not diving if there's any contact at all....I've just had enough. Football has taken a back seat this season and that is sad.

Tonight I just know everyone will be waiting for something to go wrong so the headlines can be written in the paper tomorrow, rather than hoping for a good game between two the top sides in Europe.

Football, the fans, the players, the officials and the media just need to cop on. :(

Seriously considering giving this game a miss. All this coverage of racist and abusive language allegations, inconsistent disciplinary decisions, poor refereeing decisions, United buying refs nonsense, what constitutes a foul and if diving is not diving if there's any contact at all....I've just had enough. Football has taken a back seat this season and that is sad.

Tonight I just know everyone will be waiting for something to go wrong so the headlines can be written in the paper tomorrow, rather than hoping for a good game between two the top sides in Europe.

Football, the fans, the players, the officials and the media just need to cop on. :(

The fans arent waiting for controversy, we just want our team to win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm sure the majority of fans feel that way. However I'm also sure many, from both sides, will be scrutinising every decision and if anything doesn't go their way they'll be posting it to the match thread afterwards. Certainly the media will relish any slip up by the ref or a player.

Maybe I'm a bit jaded because I listen to Talksport over here in the UK on the way home from work and the call ins are getting me down. Not one mention of the quality of football, just Jonny Evans this, Mark Clattenburg that, etc. etc.......

Just hoping for an incident free, great game of football tonight. And a United win obviously! ;)

I'm sure the majority of fans feel that way. However I'm also sure many, from both sides, will be scrutinising every decision and if anything doesn't go their way they'll be posting it to the match thread afterwards. Certainly the media will relish any slip up by the ref or a player.

Maybe I'm a bit jaded because I listen to Talksport over here in the UK on the way home from work and the call ins are getting me down. Not one mention of the quality of football, just Jonny Evans this, Mark Clattenburg that, etc. etc.......

Just hoping for an incident free, great game of football tonight. And a United win obviously! ;)

It will be the Liverpool fans hoping United get a decision in there favor so they can start screaming that United ALWAYS get tehm and the Ref ALWAYS give them free/offside goals/ send off a member of the other team/ ______ , _________ , _______ ( Fill in blanks with anything you want )

3 of the 8 quarter finalists are not Premier League sides, so tonights game is a big one considering the run to the final after this could end up being comfortable enough!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Whoever goes through will get Arsenal in the next round...

Whoever goes through will get Arsenal in the next round...

Wouldnt fear them at all!

Would be more afraid of Spurs in the League Cup..

Everyone else is extremely beatable

• Advertisement
Advertisement