Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to say wrong+stop in german

Options
  • 30-10-2012 11:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

how exactly is wrong transalted in german e.g
    I have the wrong date
    I am wrong
    you took the wrong turn

and to stop/be finished
    i am finished school at 2
    I have finished my degree
    I am going to stop going there
    Stop there is a child in the middle of the road.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

I have the wrong date
    I am wrong
    you took the wrong turn

and to stop/be finished

I have the wrong date = Ich habe das falsche Datum (otherwise if you mean the wrong "Date" it would be "Ich habe die falsche Verabredung":confused:)

I am wrong = Ich irre mich

you took the wrong turn = Du hast die falsche "Drehung" (means probably decision?) or "Entscheidung" getroffen

to stop = stoppen or aufhören
    be finished = fertig sein

I have finished my degree = Ich habe meinen Abschluss gemacht (your sentence is probably related to some work to achieve an degree, so it would be "Abschlussarbeit" instead of "Abschluss")

I am going to stop going there = Ich werde aufhören dorthin zu gehen

Stop there is a child in the middle of the road = Stopp, da ist ein Kind in der Mitte der Straße (you also could say "Halt da ist ein Kind in der Straßenmitte")

Tschüß,
    Thomas
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I have the wrong date
    I am wrong
    you took the wrong turn

and to stop/be finished

1. Ich habe mich im Datum geirrt
    2. Ich habe mich geirrt / Es war mein Fehler
    3. Du hast Dich verlaufen (verfahren)...it's usually used in traffic
    4. Die Schule ist um 2 Uhr beendet
    5. Ich habe meinen Schulabschluss erreicht
    6. Ich werde nicht mehr dort hin gehen
    7. Bitte halte an, da ist ein Kind in der Mitte der Strasse

That´s all well translated, but re No. 2, the second sentence (Es war mein Fehler) would be in English "It was my fault". But both is right. I´ve missed to translate No 4 but on the other lines I´ve more translated re the meaning of the words, not as I would do normally as an native German speaker. So your answers are quite correct. I´d guess that you´re a native German speaker too?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

you took the wrong turn

when driving in traffic:

Da bist Du / sind Sie falsch abgebogen.

Thomas_I wrote: »
    That´s all well translated, but re No. 2, the second sentence (Es war mein Fehler) would be in English "It was my fault". But both is right. I´ve missed to translate No 4 but on the other lines I´ve more translated re the meaning of the words, not as I would do normally as an native German speaker. So your answers are quite correct. I´d guess that you´re a native German speaker too?

I am indeed, born and bred in Dortmund, living in Dublin since 2004 ;)

• Advertisement

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I am indeed, born and bred in Dortmund, living in Dublin since 2004 ;)

Thanks for that Lars. May I ask you whether you are still translating from English into German and vice versa when communicating with native English people? I´m asking this just because you´re living in Ireland since 8 years.

Thanks for that Lars. May I ask you whether you are still translating from English into German and vice versa when communicating with native English people? I´m asking this just because you´re living in Ireland since 8 years.

I don't do that at all. Maybe I struggle for some words sometimes, but I had English in school in Germany, had a distinction in my A Levels, so I just describe, what I want, and it works ;)

I also had English in school in Germany, but at that time I wasn´t very interested in learning it perfectly. This has changed when I became interested into Irish history some 15 years ago. As there are not very much books available on that subject in German, I started to read books in English language and then I became more interested in learning English as well. So I managed to extend it from the basic knowledge and indeed, in every book or newspaper I´ve read since, there are still words I didn´t know and I have to translate them. It´s very different what we learned in school to the way people talk or write in English speaking countries. I guess that it´s the similar way for non-native German speakers as well. English has became my hobby, more unintended. This is going on since 8 years and the more I´m reading English literature, the more I get accustomed to it and do less translations. This results in a less ability to do quick translations because many words have various different meanings.

I also had English in school in Germany, but at that time I wasn´t very interested in learning it perfectly. This has changed when I became interested into Irish history some 15 years ago. As there are not very much books available on that subject in German, I started to read books in English language and then I became more interested in learning English as well. So I managed to extend it from the basic knowledge and indeed, in every book or newspaper I´ve read since, there are still words I didn´t know and I have to translate them. It´s very different what we learned in school to the way people talk or write in English speaking countries. I guess that it´s the similar way for non-native German speakers as well. English has became my hobby, more unintended. This is going on since 8 years and the more I´m reading English literature, the more I get accustomed to it and do less translations. This results in a less ability to do quick translations because many words have various different meanings.

Back in the 1980s, when I went to school, my English teacher predicted, that I would end up in an English speaking country. I guess, he was right :D

The other teacher, I had, spent 3 years in Oxford, he insisted on what he called 'proper English'. The first experience, coming to Ireland was, that the 'th' is not pronounced ;)

Advertisement