Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a law against selling dogs in car parks/outside shops?

• 30-10-2012 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious to know what the law on this is. I saw a guy selling a puppy to a couple with a child outside my local Lidl around this time last year. He'd pulled up outside the shop and seemed to be in a hurry to get going. He had other puppies in the back and seemed to be a puppy farmer. I'm guessing that as when the couple asked what to feed the pup he said bread and milk, which sounds wrong to me. I wanted to phone the guards and report it at the time but I wasn't sure if there's a law against it and I've felt guilty about it ever since.

Given that we're getting to that time of year again its been on my mind. He had obviously arranged to meet these people at that place as he was illegally parked and could have parked in the large car park a few yards away. I doubt it was the first time he's done it. Does anyone know what the law on this is?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It is illegal to sell pet animals in a public place under S.23 of the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1965.
    The guards usually don't take this sort of thing very seriously though, unless of course you lodge your thorn firmly in their side until they act!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Thanks for the info, its good to know and I'm quite good at being a pain in the ass until I get what I want:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Keep in mind that those puppies could have been coming from abroad.
    Eastern European countries have a tradition in breeding puppies and exporting them across Europe. These poor animals have been taken away from their mothers earlier than it should be done and they are stuffed with antibiotics and other drugs to make them look active, healthy and full of life.
    But when the effects of these drugs vanish the puppies worsen rapidly and generally they die in few days.
    Probably this is not your case, but this happens very frequently, especially here in Central Europe and in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

What I find extraordinary is that given the popularity of Jack Russell dogs, so many are running the streets in my town and around the country in general. I've seen posters locally advertising the puppies for over 100 euro. None of the posters mention pedigree papers and nobody seems to remember any of the horror stories about puppy farming when they buy these dogs.

I've counted 5 Jack Russells running the streets in my neighbourhood, one is a female and I'd say she'll be popping out a litter in the not to distant future since they have a male as well.

It bloody sickens me that people allow their dogs to roam, don't neuter them so they can breed from them and generally don't seem to give a monkeys about the animals welfare.

Advertisement