Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing for house in North Dublin

Options
  • 30-10-2012 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Finishing a new build of a house and we need to get it fenced off. Ideally would like a ranch rail type fence/ D rail but would have to be with a pressurised timber that will last. Money is tight now too.

Just reading from previous posts that a lot of these posts are Creosoted which I read is bad for your health and polluting the groundwater (we have a well drilled on site so I don't know if its suitable to have this type fence???)

Debating if I should go with a cheaper more ugly option of posts and meche fencing or spend the money now on something more easy on the eye. Also have heard that to put the posts down ourselves could take ages and we would probably cause damage if not done it before, so would prefer to let the professionals do the job so any recommendations for people in Dublin/Meath area be great.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

bogchick wrote: »
    Finishing a new build of a house and we need to get it fenced off. Ideally would like a ranch rail type fence/ D rail but would have to be with a pressurised timber that will last. Money is tight now too.

Just reading from previous posts that a lot of these posts are Creosoted which I read is bad for your health and polluting the groundwater (we have a well drilled on site so I don't know if its suitable to have this type fence???)

Debating if I should go with a cheaper more ugly option of posts and meche fencing or spend the money now on something more easy on the eye. Also have heard that to put the posts down ourselves could take ages and we would probably cause damage if not done it before, so would prefer to let the professionals do the job so any recommendations for people in Dublin/Meath area be great.

Why dont you plant bareroots hedging/whips now and grow a lovely boundary hedge??

You can buy 3 foot tall bareroot bundles (25 per bundle) for as little as 20 euro.

That will get you a hedge row of about 6.5 meters long.:)

PS-You can get very good deals on wooden fence posts and fencing in most of the builders providers nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bogchick

Forgot to mention we have a dog too, one of main reasons for a fence. Going to TJ O Mahonys tomorrow for a look.

bogchick wrote: »
    Forgot to mention we have a dog too, one of main reasons for a fence. Going to TJ O Mahonys tomorrow for a look.

TJ O Mahonies would be more expensive than other builders providers.

They dont seem to be as good value as other builders providers,for some strange reason.

Dont know why though.

Anything I have ever priced with TJ O Mahonies,Ive allways gotten cheaper in other builders providers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You could try Murdocks in M1 Business park they are not bad on price http://www.murdockbuildersmerchants.com/branch-locations/murdock-builders-merchants-balbriggan/ or EEC Arro in stephenstown Balbriggan http://www.arro.ie/Departments/Building-Materials.aspx if you want pressure treated they might do you a deal on decking timber this time of year.:D

fergal.b wrote: »
    You could try Murdocks in M1 Business park they are not bad on price http://www.murdockbuildersmerchants.com/branch-locations/murdock-builders-merchants-balbriggan/ or EEC Arro in stephenstown Balbriggan http://www.arro.ie/Departments/Building-Materials.aspx if you want pressure treated they might do you a deal on decking timber this time of year.:D

I wouldnt waste my time with PT wooden decking.

Composite decking is the way forward,hassle free,can be had in different finnishes and different colours.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

paddy147 wrote: »
    I wouldnt waste my time with PT wooden decking.

Composite decking is the way forward,hassle free,can be had in different finnishes and different colours.:)

They say the same about plastic boats but I still prefer to build them with wood :D:D:D

fergal.b wrote: »
    They say the same about plastic boats but I still prefer to build them with wood :D:D:D

Well I dont know any homeowner who likes to have to constantly oil/stain wooden deckings and railings every year and then have to ripp it all up 6-7 years down the line when its all starting to rot away.;):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Ditto to Paddy147 about planting a hedge. I planted a green beech hedge when a few years ago and its great to mark the turning of the seasons and for birds. You do a DIY fence with pressure treated wood and the hedge wlll slowly cover it. Use a native species like beech, hornbeam or holly. Avoid Lawson cypress like the plague !

We have hornbeam planted,and its a fantastic hedge and lovely pointy green leaves when in growth,and turns a beautifull brown colour from the dead leaves in the wintertime.Beech and hornbeam hold most their dead leaves through the winter till springtime,when they start to bud and leaf up again,so you get a lovely brown contrast through the wintertime.

Hornbeam is a really fantastic hedge and very hardy hedge to plant.

Bareroot bundles of 25 for around 20 euro,which gets you around 6.5 meters in length of a hedge.

3.5 feet tall bare root hornbeams.

Plant them from November to March,cut it back by a good third of its height the minute you plant it.Water it regulary too.

Plant 3-4 bareroots per meter and plant them in a staggered line pattern.

• Advertisement
Advertisement