Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Norwegian FA wants to even things up!

• 30-10-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-four-goals-down-extra-player-says-norwegian-220403358--sow.html
    OSLO, Oct 29 (Reuters) - The Norwegian Football Association (NFF) has a novel idea to even out one-sided matches - if a team go four goals down they can bring on another player, a proposal backed by former international Henning Berg.
    "It's a good rule that will lead to more even matches," said Berg, who was capped 100 times by Norway. "It's no fun to lose 17-0. It's no fun to win 17-0 either."
    Aalesund coach Kjetil Rekdal, who often partnered Berg in defence for the national side, was less enthusiastic.
    "It can be positive to get more (people) active, but it can be negative if you destroy or punish those who are better," he told Verdens Gang. (Writing by Philip O'Connor in Stockholm, Editing by Tom Pilcher)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That wouldnt have helped the irish Team against Germany, although if Sweden were allowed to bring on another player when they were 4-0 down they could have won the match.

Strange and silly idea IMO, wont ever see the light of day really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

He doesn't seriously mean at full profesional level does he? I can understand if this was schoolboy football though.

The 6 months of
    It's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Team goes 3-0 up, parks the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

So? Wasn't there someone in the FA who proposed penalty shoot outs if matches in the league end in draws?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

No fun in winning 17-0? WTF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The only rule I want brought in is the mushroom rule.

A large mushroom is planted in the centre of the pitch.

If someone on your team knocks the mushroom over with either the ball or a part of their body, your team loses all its goals.

So you're winning 4-1, knock over the mushroom, BAM, you're losing 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

While we're on the subject of new ridiculous ideas,

I've been banging on about a system simialr to Rugby's bonus point and bonus losing points for the last few years now, where a team would be rewarded with an extra point for scoring say 5 - 6 goals in a game, or the losing side scoring 3 - 4+, let the Americans test this first and then we can discuss the "overtime" 3 balls on the pitch idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

It's for schoolboy level, 12 and under it would seem...more detail in this article:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/norwegians-consider-12th-man-105659097.html

It is an interesting idea, maybe 12 is a bit old,perhaps make it 10 and under, but it is a problem with teams at a young age getting destroyed in games and maybe turning them off ever wanting to play football again.

This was posted on the main news page of the DDSL a few weeks ago:
    Attention All U8 Managers
    I am going through the results after this weekend and am totally dismayed that Adults permitted results to reach a score of 19-0 at some under 8 matches. Granted there were not many that reached this level but there are quite a few that reached 10 - 0, 11 -1, 12 - 0, 13 - 2 etc.

This is a development league - not one to see who can totally bring a team to rock bottom. Most of these teams are just starting off and were packed with little children who couldn't wait to put on their new boots and club gear for the first time. What reason would a manager of a team have to totally destroy a child's little buzz of his first match. Surely some sort of sense could have been brought to these matches and a decision to let the weaker team put on an extra player or two should have been made. The stronger team could have lost a player for a while, without the children really realising what was done. There are lots of things that should have been done, but certainly it was WRONG to let a game continue to reach the levels they did over the weekend. One thing for sure is that the Managers of the 'successful' teams on the day, may have had a great evening celebrating but I do hope they eventually realise that this is not what the under 8 divisions are about. Shame on you for possibly sending children away from their first match feeling low and sad and possibly not wanting to ever play again.

Nobody learned anything from a match with scores like this. We try to keep teams as local as possible until they can be graded at Christmas.The other side of things is that Clubs are putting children who are too young into their squads.

The under 8 divisions should be made up of children born in 2005. Children born in 2006 should be in club academies where they can learn skills, have fun and take part in academy v academy little tournaments.As we go forward, please think about the children, they should be enjoying their matches, they should be having fun whilst learning how to play properly. Yes the first weekend can be tough but hopefully we can all learn something from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Yes, it's a great way for kids to learn the 5-4-2 formation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Don't think I've ever heard of a more stupid idea. You'd be punishing those players and teams who have worked hard to be better players, while at the same time rewarding mediocrity.

Truly ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Yes, it's a great way for kids to learn the 5-4-2 formation.

Kids under 15/16 shouldn't be playing 11 a side anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

IvySlayer wrote: »
    So? Wasn't there someone in the FA who proposed penalty shoot outs if matches in the league end in draws?

did MLS not use penalties to decide games/give an extra point, similar to what happens in the NHL at one time?

also i think Wenger wouldn't be against the idea of giving teams a point for every goal scored, like what happens in the emirates cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

At young age levels, it's a good idea. I'vedone it myself in the past. My lads were playing a team last month and were winning handily 6-1. Myself, the ref and the opposing manager had a chat halfway through the second half and all agreed. The other team emptied their bench and had four extra players and so scored another goal. It didn't change the outcome and they went home happier.

Where is the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

batistuta9 wrote: »
    did MLS not use penalties to decide games/give an extra point, similar to what happens in the NHL at one time?

also i think Wenger wouldn't be against the idea of giving teams a point for every goal scored, like what happens in the emirates cup

They used one on one, player had the ball about 35 yards out and had 6 or 8 seconds to move towards goal and shoot

They used one on one, player had the ball about 35 yards out and had 6 or 8 seconds to move towards goal and shoot

thats the same as penalties in ice hockey are took - well pretty much

what did they do best of 3 or 5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

thats the same as penalties in ice hockey are took - well pretty much

what did they do best of 3 or 5?

Thy tried it in Italy aswell

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb8qx_napoli-0-1-juventus_sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

Gillington wrote: »

Think that was in a pre season tournament, i'm think robbie keane missed one for inter before he was turfed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

tuborg_man wrote: »
    Think that was in a pre season tournament, i'm think robbie keane missed one for inter before he was turfed out.

Ah,didnt realise that but yeah they did have used them in a real cup,I remember Robbie Keanes one but couldnt find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Anyone know what happens if the keeper fouls the attacker?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Not just pre-season but also Pirmavera (u20).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Kirby wrote: »
    At young age levels, it's a good idea. I'vedone it myself in the past. My lads were playing a team last month and were winning handily 6-1. Myself, the ref and the opposing manager had a chat halfway through the second half and all agreed. The other team emptied their bench and had four extra players and so scored another goal. It didn't change the outcome and they went home happier.

Where is the problem?

My only problem is that how do you teach kids how to lose then? You must be able to lose and see why you lost and fix it if you can, isn't that the point.

Slightly different topic but relevant. Keith Wood on off the ball spoke the other night about scrums and the point he made was you learn just as much the nights you're getting hammered as the nights you can do no wrong. Its about playing and playing as much as you can.

Iang87 wrote: »
    My only problem is that how do you teach kids how to lose then? You must be able to lose and see why you lost and fix it if you can, isn't that the point.

Slightly different topic but relevant. Keith Wood on off the ball spoke the other night about scrums and the point he made was you learn just as much the nights you're getting hammered as the nights you can do no wrong. Its about playing and playing as much as you can.

not in spain anyway & probably a few other countries as well, at under age levels especially the younger ones, the least amount of emphasis is placed on the result

the point is to get them playing football, not about results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is big issue with attitudes to underage sport and specifically soccer in this country and is a big part of why we rarely produce players who are as technically good as the better footballing nations. It shouldn't be about winning and losing at those underage levels. There is far to much emphasis on results when coaching and training kids how to play the game with less emphasis on results will produce better footballers in my opinion. Wood was probably referring to an older group of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I really love this nonsense that it should've be about winning or losing technically its correct but in all my years of coaching from U10's to U16's I have yet to meet a youngster who doesn't care about winning or losing. What we should be doing is playing smaller sided games and on smaller parks with small goals for the younger age groups we should also be educating the parents and also a fair amount of coaches on how to behave on the sidelines and getting through to them it's not about the winning or losing

not in spain anyway & probably a few other countries as well, at under age levels especially the younger ones, the least amount of emphasis is placed on the result

the point is to get them playing football, not about results
    kippy wrote: »
    This is big issue with attitudes to underage sport and specifically soccer in this country and is a big part of why we rarely produce players who are as technically good as the better footballing nations. It shouldn't be about winning and losing at those underage levels. There is far to much emphasis on results when coaching and training kids how to play the game with less emphasis on results will produce better footballers in my opinion. Wood was probably referring to an older group of players.

I understand perfectly both your comments but I dont think you can ever teach a child its not about winning or losing. They watch football every week on tv where winning is the only thing, they simply want to emulate what they see. Well thats what it was for me anyway

I understand perfectly both your comments but I dont think you can ever teach a child its not about winning or losing. They watch football every week on tv where winning is the only thing, they simply want to emulate what they see. Well thats what it was for me anyway

but the difference is that it's not being drummed into them/them being shouted at by some could've been fergie who's never been outside his own county that everything is about winning - you know the type

that mightn't happen at the young under ages (<12's) but the higher up you go it does

the main point of it is for them to be playing football & playing it a certain way, that's all the coaches are worried about, the kids probably still want to win though

I see your point teach them to do the right thing and they wont get slated by the coaches.

Whats the chances of that attitude coming in?

I see your point teach them to do the right thing and they wont get slated by the coaches.

Whats the chances of that attitude coming in?

Well the attitude needs to change and this particular rule change for underage teams might well assist in doing that.

• Advertisement

Well the attitude needs to change and this particular rule change for underage teams might well assist in doing that.

is there not a worry of the negative with the "ye needed extra men to score against us" you know how kids will get bitter when they feel they're being treated unfairly

is there not a worry of the negative with the "ye needed extra men to score against us" you know how kids will get bitter when they feel they're being treated unfairly

There is if it comes from the management etc
    You've got to bear in mind the age level this is being aimed at.
    I only see it as a good thing.

Kids get taught about winning, they dont have it "built into them".
    I remember as a youngster changing teams at half time to even them up if things were going too far one way. No adults involved either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Does the extra player come back off if his team make it 4-1 or does he stay on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

thats what i was thinking too.

i also completely favour "american penalties".

i think theres much more skill involved than a "normal penalty". So it makes it a bit more likely the better players will score.

youll also keep the key ingredients of a regular shootout, iron nerve, composure, tension drama etc.

i assume if the keeper fouls the player its a retake or just awarded a goal.

There is if it comes from the management etc
    You've got to bear in mind the age level this is being aimed at.
    I only see it as a good thing.

Kids get taught about winning, they dont have it "built into them".
    I remember as a youngster changing teams at half time to even them up if things were going too far one way. No adults involved either.

Ya actually now that you say it we would do that playing in car parks or if 2 or 3 lads were much better they would be split up and if one side got 2 it was insisted he'd go in goal.

Do you think there will be a change in mentality? Look at how the thread started even first few comments were completely negative

Advertisement