Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The need to transition in a sub genre

Options
  • 30-10-2012 12:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This was a discussion I've had a while ago on another board (heresy!) about fantasy but I think it generally applies to most genres and it came up in the Sci Fi recommendation thread. The question was to enjoy/understand a genre do you need to progress through some "standard" series/books (either general or specific) before you can "properly" understand later books?

My view point was (and still is) that yes, if you don't have an understanding of the likes of Tolkien (basic race definitions) and read through the likes of Belgarion series (railroad fantasy A to Z type books) you'd have problem enjoying or understand the contriversity a book series such as the cold steel or white gold series is (by breaking said "rules" of the genre) and hence miss out part of the joy of the book.

The counter point to this was that while a person going directly for the "heavy" stuff might not understand what rule were broken could still get great enjoyment from the books simply because they were well written in and of their own good.

So what's your oppinion?

Advertisement