Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Our Clients"

Options
  • 30-10-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone knows the situation with putting logos of clients you've done work for on your website, like for example the footer here with scrolling logos including SKY, NEC etc: http://www.theo2.co.uk/

I'm planning a site redesign in the future and wouldn't mind putting a few logos of some of the clients I've worked with as I believe it gives prospective customers a sense of security when they see something they recognise?

Is it just a matter of getting in touch with each and asking permission? What if for example, I did a job for a store that was part of a big franchise, would they have the right to give permission to use the logo on my site?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Given that the logos are more than likely copyright protected, I'd seem permission first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bfran

I look at it a different way, you are giving them free promotion, so I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed, as long as you can provide evidence of the work then you aren't lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Such as "I have a subscription to Sky Sports, so I have worked with them in the past LOL"

bfran wrote: »
    I look at it a different way, you are giving them free promotion, so I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed, as long as you can provide evidence of the work then you aren't lying.

Well you're looking at it wrong. Most companies have strict brand guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jonasjones

smash wrote: »
    Given that the logos are more than likely copyright protected, I'd seem permission first.

I agree with smash. You don't own the logo therefore you have no rights over it. You need to ask permission, plain and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 bfran

Thanks for pointing this out, I'm now the one getting the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Well you're looking at it wrong. Most companies have strict brand guidelines.

I'd really like to agree with this, but from my experience including working with some leading brands who were partners of a multi-national company I worked in, the majority have no or poor logo usage guidelines. They certainly should. Eg. try to find the eircom logo guidelines from eircom. The only place I could find info from is from a 3rd party article on their brand identity here: http://www.business2000.ie/pdf/pdf_3/eircom_3rd_ed.pdf See Presentation of the brand near the end.

That said, to reiterate some previous comments, it's always best to ask and if there's no or poor response do something along the lines of using half of each of the logo dimensions for clearance on the relevant sides, using their most familiar format/layout with preferably zero alteration taking into account possible versions/variants, min sizes, not separating type and motif (in general, some don't mind).

tricky D wrote: »
    I'd really like to agree with this, but from my experience including working with some leading brands who were partners of a multi-national company I worked in, the majority have no or poor logo usage guidelines. They certainly should. Eg. try to find the eircom logo guidelines from eircom. The only place I could find info from is from a 3rd party article on their brand identity here: http://www.business2000.ie/pdf/pdf_3/eircom_3rd_ed.pdf See Presentation of the brand near the end.
    Why are you looking on line for the brand guidelines. Most companies don't publish the info online. They just give it to their agency when work needs to be done.

"We implemented a number of Design rounds, working within strict brand guidelines and delivering front end templates and functional documentation."
    tricky D wrote: »
    That said, to reiterate some previous comments, it's always best to ask and if there's no or poor response do something along the lines of using half of each of the logo dimensions for clearance on the relevant sides, using their most familiar format/layout with preferably zero alteration taking into account possible versions/variants, min sizes, not separating type and motif (in general, some don't mind).
    Most brand guideline documents will give you colours and sizes etc which you can use in conjunction with their logo. Still, most people don't pay attention to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Why are you looking on line for the brand guidelines. Most companies don't publish the info online. They just give it to their agency when work needs to be done.

"We implemented a number of Design rounds, working within strict brand guidelines and delivering front end templates and functional documentation."

Most brand guideline documents will give you colours and sizes etc which you can use in conjunction with their logo. Still, most people don't pay attention to it.

I'm not solely referring to online, but also very often by direct communication, it was sometimes like getting blood from a stone. Besides that, there are many who could easily and safely publish online who just don't.

Agreed on many just ignoring them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

cormie wrote: »
    Is it just a matter of getting in touch with each and asking permission?
    Yes.
    cormie wrote: »
    What if for example, I did a job for a store that was part of a big franchise, would they have the right to give permission to use the logo on my site?
    There's no single rule that would apply to every franchise/business, so that's a "it depends".

If you contact the person you dealt with and asked their permission it's up to them to ascertain what rights they have in relation to it and if they can give you permission or not. It's not something for you to get caught up thinking about in practise, however I would suggest that in many cases for a franchise operation that a single franchise holder shouldn't have that right (whether they do or not is another question entirely).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks a lot for all the input everyone. I guess I'll just get in touch with the actual brand division of the company and try get permission for using any logos on my site. Best way to go about it I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Simplest and sanest is to ask permission.

Simply putting a logo on a site doesn't tell me anything about your work for that company, so why not ask them for a simple testimonial?

Apart from anything else you'll probably get better quality and more usable graphics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Good point too Michele, I try and get as many user reviews as possible. Pretty much after every job I do I pop an email off asking for reviews so when I'm getting the redesign done, I'll get in touch and ask for permission/testimonials :)

Advertisement