Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug and alcohol screening for Aus jobs

Options
  • 30-10-2012 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Ive been reading on seek that for alot of jobe you are required to take a drug and alcohol screening, im not worried about the drug screening because i never take drugs but like the majority of young irish people I drink a good bit at the weekend,now I dont get ostified every weekend downing shots etc and I dont get sick, blackout or anything like that but id have afair few pints on a friday and saturday night which is above and beyond what health practictioners recommend,how likely would this be an issue for getting a job in aus, specficially for fifo work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

You should have no problem with the drug and alcohol test if you dont bother with the drugs and stay of the sauce the day before the test.
    But you may have to do a fitness test aswell so would have to be in shape(ish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Avoid poppy seed bread and muffins in the days before, that can skew a drug test result too. (I'm not joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Ive been reading on seek that for alot of jobe you are required to take a drug and alcohol screening, im not worried about the drug screening because i never take drugs but like the majority of young irish people I drink a good bit at the weekend,now I dont get ostified every weekend downing shots etc and I dont get sick, blackout or anything like that but id have afair few pints on a friday and saturday night which is above and beyond what health practictioners recommend,how likely would this be an issue for getting a job in aus, specficially for fifo work

It nothing to do with your health, its OHS.

I think for the likes of FIFO mining work you are Breathalyzed every day before work and at sometimes at random, if you blow numbers you are gone.

I had friends working trenching and laying cabling on Railcorp property (basically along the railway line) and they were Breathalyzed at random as well as having to give p!ss sample for drugs. They were saying there was always a couple of noobs busted every week for spending a long sunday night session in the tea gardens or having a smoke of weed over the weekend.

It it doesn't matter if you are an employee or contractor its forbidden.

I suspect for FIFO you get a full medical as part of the interview, any sign of drugs in your system can show up months later and if it does they wouldn't be that interested in employing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

id have afair few pints on a friday and saturday night which is above and beyond what health practictioners recommend,how likely would this be an issue for getting a job in aus, specficially for fifo work
    Pints on friday and saturday are out of your system by monday. It's not a health thing (miners love a drink as much as the next aussie) its literally about being drunk at work.
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    I had friends working trenching and laying cabling on Railcorp property (basically along the railway line) and they were Breathalyzed at random as well as having to give p!ss sample for drugs. They were saying there was always a couple of noobs busted every week for spending a long sunday night session in the tea gardens or having a smoke of weed over the weekend.
    Pfft, the tea gardens closes early on a sunday, must mean scruffys. :D:D:D
    Joking aside Railcorp are incredibly anal about that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »

Pfft, the tea gardens closes early on a sunday, must mean scruffys. :D:D:D
    Joking aside Railcorp are incredibly anal about that sort of thing.

I'm talking 4 or so years ago when Murphys gang was doing the Railcorp lines at Maitland/Braxton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When ever I'm on a railcorp site I have to be available for the same testing. Even if theres not a train line nearby.

I understand why it's there for people near the lines. The applying the same rules to offices in the city is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Mellor wrote: »
    I understand why it's there for people near the lines. The applying the same rules to offices in the city is bizarre.

Im led to believe its in place to help slash the number of paper cuts incurred by office workers each year, it costs the economy $23/year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

10 beers before 10pm with a dinner is typically the rule of thumb Aussie lads tell me to not blow numbers at a 6am pre-start.

Stuck to that and have never blown numbers. I'm 12st (which does have an effect on how much u can drink!)..

But as others said the alcohol test just wants to show that at that time you manage to be sober long enough to blow into a bag!

Edit: by beers I mean stubbies.

Advertisement