Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking car alarm to house Alarm

Options
  • 30-10-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to connect a car alarm to a house alarm. A Family member is having hassle with muppets tampering with his Santa Fe. I am looking to link a car alarm to a house alarm. So if the car is tampered with the house alarm will tigger ?.

I am in the alarm industry and I know it can be done as I have done it with a wireless alarm system. It involves tinkering around with the sensor settings on the main panel that I am trying to avoid.

What I am looking for is, is there a dedicated system out there that can be bought for this purpose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

sounds a bit ye olde worlde security ... moving...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Why not just add a wireless reed to the system ? When the car alarm trips it activates the reed via its inputs and triggers the house alarm . Turn off sensor supervision and set the zone to 24hr .

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭vtiniall

That is what I have done. The brother has asked me to install a wireless Glass breaking sensor. I put in for him also. They do work.

It is that I have read and have seen that there is or was a system out there (Probably in the US) that does connect a car alarm to a house alarm, obviously wireless. None of these home made jobbies but a proper system.

He is happy with what is installed. It does trigger both the contact and the glass break sensor and the external sounder rattles the place.

Just taught there was a dedicated system out there. Not too worry. It works and he is happy with it. So job Done!!.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Why not just add a wireless reed to the system ? When the car alarm trips it activates the reed via its inputs and triggers the house alarm . Turn off sensor supervision and set the zone to 24hr .

Why would you want the zone as 24 hour?? How do you disarm it to go out in the car?
    You could use a relay connected to ,say the radio supply, when power is sent from the ignition it triggers the relay giving you an open close pair. Wire this pair into a wireless contact with a wired input. Depending on the alarm you have you may be able to program the car as a separate area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

because the car has an alarm which is activating the RF reed input via a relay .. When the car is unlocked the car alarm is turned off so the reed will remain closed Also so the alarm will activate if the main system in the house is disarmed if its on 24 hr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Connect a 12vdc relay to the car alarm siren (presuming its not a speaker). Wire a pair into the normally closed side of the relay and wire that into a wireless contact.

When the car alarm activates it opens the relay and which the triggers the contact.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A good solution also if the alarm has a 12 volt siren.

Advertisement