Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 hr shift legal? No breaks as such

Options
  • 30-10-2012 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Just wondering is a 24 hr shift legal? I don't get any breaks as working in a nursing home, but I do get to sleep from 10pm - 6am but I do get woken through out the night.
    We just get used to our shifts and suddenly our roster is changed again without the staff agreeing to this? I thought that once there was a roster that was it and no changes could be made unless really needed, but in my job they seem to do it as try have nothing better to do than to leave staff with no lives outside of work!!
    I love my job but am finding the hours increasingly difficult and their making it almost impossible for me to plan my life around work! I also only get 2 weekends off in 7 which I ve adapted to, but this is the the 4th time this yr they have changed the roster!
    Rant over!! Can anyone please tell me if all the above is completely legal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Are you a doctor? There are some exemptions for doctors, I don't know them offhand but could look them up.

What hours are you actually paid for?

Do you get paid for the 8 hour sleep over period? If so, are you paid a sleepover allowance or an hourly wage?

'I love my job but am finding the hours increasingly difficult and their making it almost impossible for me to plan my life around work!' Are you at the top of your salary scale, and therefore an expensive employee? Does the employer want people to resign, so that new and cheaper staff can be hired? Is the roster being changed to facilitate a pregnant employee or someone with a family member who is recently diagnosed with an illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not many doctors working in nursing homes :)

I don't have details, but I think there are some specific rules for jobs that require a sleepover.

How much notice are they giving you of the shift changes? I don't have links, but I have a feeling that less than 24 hours notice is illegal.

Is it just the boss being an ass, or are they due to really unexpected issues like other staff being sick?

That said - what's your main concern - the shift-length, or the frequency of changes (4 changes in 10 months doesn't actually sound like a lot to me, TBH.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭kc83

I'm not a doctor, and am not at the higher end pay scale. I'm a key worker.
    I get a premium for overnights, which is a flat rate, if I get woken I get Time in lieu.
    I am worried about both , the length of shift and the fact that when I took this job , hours were discussed with me, I accepted the job under those terms as had been offered two other jobs and weighed my options.
    We do get notice of roster change in team meetings but rosters are not open for discussion. I just feel like ppl are supposed to have a life outside work and should be able to plan things etc but this is not the case anymore. I know I shouldn't complain too much as the way things are going but I just think a 24 hr shift i pretty long!
    We get 2.5 days off at the moment and with 24 hr shift we get 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

kc83 wrote: »
    I'm not a doctor, and am not at the higher end pay scale. I'm a key worker.
    I get a premium for overnights, which is a flat rate, if I get woken I get Time in lieu.
    I am worried about both , the length of shift and the fact that when I took this job , hours were discussed with me, I accepted the job under those terms as had been offered two other jobs and weighed my options.
    We do get notice of roster change in team meetings but rosters are not open for discussion. I just feel like ppl are supposed to have a life outside work and should be able to plan things etc but this is not the case anymore. I know I shouldn't complain too much as the way things are going but I just think a 24 hr shift i pretty long!
    We get 2.5 days off at the moment and with 24 hr shift we get 2.

Consult NERA and perhaps FLAC. The type of industry you are in might allow such bonkers shifts due to the nature of the job. I doubt it though.

Advertisement