Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work viza China.

Options
  • 30-10-2012 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Ok so i am 40yrs old, want to go to China to live and work. What do i need to do viza wise? 15yrs factory operator experience with GSK, no degree. Aussie,New Zealand,Tassie,USA,Israel, all out due to extraordinary red tape and just too damn expensive by time you get viza.

So China,is it a good place to find work for 40yr old Irishman? Seriously though what do i need to do to get this sorted. I was looking at China some time back and have a few places i would like to try,not a fan of big cities like Hong Kong either so its paddy fields for me:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Ok so i am 40yrs old, want to go to China to live and work. What do i need to do viza wise? 15yrs factory operator experience with GSK, no degree. Aussie,New Zealand,Tassie,USA,Israel, all out due to extraordinary red tape and just too damn expensive by time you get viza.

So China,is it a good place to find work for 40yr old Irishman? Seriously though what do i need to do to get this sorted. I was looking at China some time back and have a few places i would like to try,not a fan of big cities like Hong Kong either so its paddy fields for me:D

AFAIK you'll need to have a Z Visa arranged before you come out, which means you'll need a job already in hand. If you come out looking for work, you will probably be on a tourist or business visa, but you'd still need to go back to your home country to have your first Z visa issued. It's a good idea to check with the Chinese embassy first, though.

What kind of work are you looking for, if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

TBH PaulD i don't care if i am shovelling crap for a living,since i do not want big cities and am leaning towards more rural areas my choices seem to be limited. Its gonna be hard since with one billion labourers all the manual labour work is probably gone.

The way it is looking now i will have to go back to college and get a degree in something just so i can get a viza to emigrate anywhere, its crazy get a degree for a viza and end up shovelling crap, whats the point?

TBH PaulD i don't care if i am shovelling crap for a living,since i do not want big cities and am leaning towards more rural areas my choices seem to be limited. Its gonna be hard since with one billion labourers all the manual labour work is probably gone.

The way it is looking now i will have to go back to college and get a degree in something just so i can get a viza to emigrate anywhere, its crazy get a degree for a viza and end up shovelling crap, whats the point?

You will not get a job shovelling crap in China. :)

You could look into work teaching English in remote areas, but the wages for that would be very, very low, and you'd have very few of the creature comforts of home. You probably wouldn't want to do that long-term, anyhow...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

Problem is you need a degree in something to get a viza for most places in Asia and i believe China is one of those. When i said shovelling crap i meant really any down and dirty manual job, so long as its away from the city and is country i don't care.

Problem is you need a degree in something to get a viza for most places in Asia and i believe China is one of those. When i said shovelling crap i meant really any down and dirty manual job, so long as its away from the city and is country i don't care.

I understand. Honestly, you won't get any kind of manual job here: they have a huge population, and they just don't need unskilled labour. From what you've told me, I'd say you are best suited for a teaching job in a small city or town way inland - you probably won't get a job in a Tier 1 or Tier 2 city. But be warned, such a position is not for the faint-hearted. You will have almost none of the creature comforts of home (a seated toilet can be a rarity, for example), and you will be very isolated. You will also be completely at the mercy of whatever agency helps you find the job. Some of them can be OK, but there are plenty of horror stories about bad ones (and there are many bad ones). If you do a google you can get a better idea of the lie of the land. Dave's ESL Cafe used to be a good place to start.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Your solution is a business visa or as it's more commonly known in China, an F visa.

Basically you pay money for it and it entitles you to stay and work in China.

Many English teachers, etc., use one if they don't have a degree.

I actually have one even though I don't work here. It's easier and cheaper than doing a tourist visa run to Hong Kong every two months.

Advertisement