Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candi Sugar

Options
  • 30-10-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Just wonderin does anybody have a resource for this stuff. Going to be using it in a belgian strong ale when i get all the ingredients together. Found it on ebay alright but for €20/lb

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Mashtun wrote: »
    Just wonderin does anybody have a resource for this stuff. Going to be using it in a belgian strong ale when i get all the ingredients together. Found it on ebay alright but for €20/lb

The homebrew company sell the dark candi syrup, i have used this may time and really like it.

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/candy-syrup-liquid-dark-1lt-135kg-p-365.html

If it the clear stuff you want , save my money and used table/demerara sugar or get some cheap golden syrup as this in an inverted syrup like the clear candi syrup. Its the yeast that will be bringing the flavor in a blond/golden strong beer

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Its amber candi sugar that i'm trying to sub for. In terms of colour i'm aiming for around the chimay blue spectrum so darker than blonde for sure! Thanks for feedback guys.

Its amber candi sugar that i'm trying to sub for. In terms of colour i'm aiming for around the chimay blue spectrum so darker than blonde for sure! Thanks for feedback guys.

If your trying to make a belgian dubbel I would get the dark candi syrup, the majority of the color for those beer comes from the sugar used

Fair enough, Just a bit worried it will darken it too much (~200EBC) but i don't have to put a full 1.5lb in, i guess. I'll just rejig the quantities and hopefully beersmith will be accurate with colour estimaiton

• Advertisement

Fair enough, Just a bit worried it will darken it too much (~200EBC) but i don't have to put a full 1.5lb in, i guess. I'll just rejig the quantities and hopefully beersmith will be accurate with colour estimaiton

you will want 10-20% fermetable from the syrup, I have gone to 18-20% for big dark strong Belgians with great results

I'm using torrified wheat in this recipe too. I ordered some from HBC and it has come as whole grain. Anybody have experience of using torrified wheat. Do i need to whizz it up in a blender before mashing it? It's labelled as being unmalted!

I'm using torrified wheat in this recipe too. I ordered some from HBC and it has come as whole grain. Anybody have experience of using torrified wheat. Do i need to whizz it up in a blender before mashing it? It's labelled as being unmalted!

The torrified process will gelatinize that starch and free it up to mash it, no crushing need and just add it to your mash.

Advertisement