Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are road users more ignorant or less polite these days?

• 30-10-2012 2:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

In the last few weeks I have seen some very un polite gestures from road usersOnly today I was looking to pull out from a shop on the opposite side of the road. I was sticking my nose out for ages before somebody let meout.At one stage I was just about to go until the courir van coming sawit and speeded up to stop me.e actually was so rude he stopped right up and made me reverse back into the exit.He could have fit a boeng 747 in there without me reversingAre we so embedded in the misery of this recission that we have lost our manners?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

No

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Did you, or did you not have right of way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

No

That doesnt defeat the fact that over 20 ppl would have seen me looking to pull out and neither does it defeat the fact on how rude the driver of the van was .

I know everybody has the right to not let me out but i always feel that if you see somebody clearly looking to get out and you can let them without affecting another motorist why not

Were suppose to be a friendly polite nation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Op I'd say this is because you are in Cork and everyone there is ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Women never let me pull out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

More aggressive, I would say :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

I only find this happens in Dublin, people making rude gestures, not letting anyone out from a junction and they love the sound of their horns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Two ways of gaining politeness OP.

If you're a female, become more good looking.
    If you're a male, don't drive a poxy toyota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You're so lucky, my problem is trying to get it in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

I dont drive a Toyota

FionnMcCool its 100% not just the dubs.Its rife.

Maybe it was because it was a city and imo people in smaller towns can be more polite as its more of a community

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i was driving down the long mile rd one day
    a long stretch road
    2 lanes 1 inside lane a bus lane
    and an outsite lane
    no traffic
    1 big long truck in front of me going about 20km
    and a car about 50 metres ahead of him going about 60km which is the roads actually speed
    so since their was no traffic i went to overtake him
    as i got up along side of him he speeded up on purpose giving me a look
    i was about to turn in behind the other car and relised he was directly behind me and the gap was closing so i backed off and over took the car in front of him originally
    he ended up stopping at wigoders my ma's job of all places so i followed him in and gave him abuse
    scumbag nearly cause a big crash which could of killed me and him, idiot driving
    before anyone asks over taking is allowed on that road
    felt like killing him for nearly killing me

What is it with Irish people and misuse of the word ignorant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

They're ignorant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Yes.

You see, people really only used to be nice because they feared God's wrath come Judgement day but now that we have Atheism and Starbucks, people no longer give a shit.

What you need to do is not give a shit also and get a bumper sticker that says:
    JESUS LOVES YOU
    BUT EVERYONE ELSE THINKS YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Been thinkin this myself lately I always let people pull out if I'm not in a rush to go anywhere Nd lately not so much as a wave or even a smile for lettin them out
    So I've stopped doing it now and joined the dark side
    Muahhaaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Been thinkin this myself lately I always let people pull out if I'm not in a rush to go anywhere Nd lately not so much as a wave or even a smile for lettin them out
    So I've stopped doing it now and joined the dark side
    Muahhaaa

What misuse? They don't know the rules of the road = ignorant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Back in the day before they removed the barriers from the M50 toll, I was coming up the N2 in rush hour traffic. This idiot in an Irish pride van gave me the fingers and mouthed a load of abuse at me, because I wasn't moving fast enough ??(there was no where to go, the traffic was heavy). It was the only time I ever got abused on the road, this guy was steaming mad

We both turned on to the M50 and spent the next 30 mins, the 2 of us side by side inching up towards the toll bridge. I just kept smiling over at him, for all his haste, he didn't get much further than me. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

saiint wrote: »
    i was driving down the long mile rd one day
    a long stretch road
    2 lanes 1 inside lane a bus lane
    and an outsite lane
    no traffic
    1 big long truck in front of me going about 20km
    and a car about 50 metres ahead of him going about 60km which is the roads actually speed
    so since their was no traffic i went to overtake him
    as i got up along side of him he speeded up on purpose giving me a look
    i was about to turn in behind the other car and relised he was directly behind me and the gap was closing so i backed off and over took the car in front of him originally
    he ended up stopping at wigoders my ma's job of all places so i followed him in and gave him abuse
    scumbag nearly cause a big crash which could of killed me and him, idiot driving
    before anyone asks over taking is allowed on that road
    felt like killing him for nearly killing me

You'd think when ...there ...was no traffic.. in their way...that they would have let you out
    There is a lack of manners on the roads, they could have been nicer and not think the road was theirs. Theres always a few.
    Their problem is that they think the road is theirs. More theirs than yours, I would have been nicer and they could have been too. Oh well...there there. COULD HAVE been worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

sfwcork wrote: »
    No

if you see somebody clearly looking to get out and you can let them without affecting another motorist why not

I always feel this to be a dangerous thing to do. I feel most people who get the go ahead to move out onto the road can forget other road users like cyclists and can potentially hit them.

What annoys me is M50 drivers who hog the middle lane :( Now that is just plain ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

What we really need is like tax incentives to get people behind the wheel to smile a little, driving is more an activity to be morned then enjoyed, or so you would believe if you spent any time looking at the drivers themselves.

I dunno what it is in particular about getting behind the wheel of a car that makes people no longer apologise for their mistakes but actively abuse the person they made the mistake against.....maybe it is just ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I agree with Viper_JB.

A little bit of good humour goes a long way with minor things in traffic like letting someone out, a smile or a nod or a wave is all it takes.

That said I've nearly been crashed into countless times by people who aren't observing simple rules, it's hard to be cheerful when you're car is nearly wrote off. In which case I give out about them for at least 30 minutes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I blame the russian dashcam videos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Zen 2nd wrote: »
    I always feel this to be a dangerous thing to do. I feel most people who get the go ahead to move out onto the road can forget other road users like cyclists and can potentially hit them.

What annoys me is M50 drivers who hog the middle lane :( Now that is just plain ignorance.

I gave up cycling a few years ago, had been knocked off my bike about 12 times in 7 years, 4 of which were my own fault. The last time, I was lucky to come out with minor injuries, wearing a helmet is the only reason that I'm still alive. Dealing with people who drive cars in this country is a potentially suicidal decision if cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

So let me get this straight.

You didnt have the right of way but you feel traffic should stop for you and let you out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

You can be ignorant of the existence of other people around you, hence the perceived rudeness.

I was sticking my nose out for ages before somebody let meout.At one stage I was just about to go until the courir van coming sawit and speeded up to stop me.e actually was so rude he stopped right up and made me reverse back into the exit.

Sounds to me like you got impatient and were pulling out so far that it was annoying the other drivers.

Which is more likely? That every person for ages on that road was really rude, or you were somehow encouraging a lack of good will in other drivers. You probably pulled out too much because you felt you'd been waiting too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Many younger women are pure ignorant when driving, they drive as if they are the only ones on the road and never, ever give way to someone else. That is if they even see you, as most of their concentration is on the mobile phone attached to their head.

Other than that group of people I think most road users are better than I remember. In particular the standard of driving is better amongst younger road users than the older cohort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

hmmm wrote: »
    Many younger women are pure ignorant when driving, they drive as if they are the only ones on the road and never, ever give way to someone else. That is if they even see you, as most of their concentration is on the mobile phone attached to their head.

Other than that group of people I think most road users are better than I remember. In particular the standard of driving is better amongst younger road users than the older cohort.

Not alone do they not let people out of side roads as a courtesy, but they almost invariably stop in junctions, which they should not do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

In the last few weeks I have seen some very un polite gestures from road usersOnly today I was looking to pull out from a shop on the opposite side of the road. I was sticking my nose out for ages before somebody let meout.At one stage I was just about to go until the courir van coming sawit and speeded up to stop me.e actually was so rude he stopped right up and made me reverse back into the exit.He could have fit a boeng 747 in there without me reversingAre we so embedded in the misery of this recission that we have lost our manners?

have not has similar experiences. I let people out and people let me out. I definitely do not honk the horn if someone does not move off immediately when the lights change as I have cut out myself often enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

:D
    Seriously though I find the women are good for this tbf.

Advertisement