Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC or Eircom or Magnet ??

Options
  • 30-10-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

hey can anyone help me out and tell me which one to go for UPC or Eircom or Magnet? ...... or is there anyone else I should consider? completely lost you'd be really helping me out if I could get some info.. what should i be looking for? :confused:

Really appreciate it :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Caoimh37 wrote: »
    hey can anyone help me out and tell me which one to go for UPC or Eircom or Magnet? ...... or is there anyone else I should consider? completely lost you'd be really helping me out if I could get some info.. what should i be looking for? :confused:

Really appreciate it :D

well, in my opinion UPC is the best of the 3 options. It may be a little more expensive than smart but overall I think it's better than any "upto" DSL service

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

UPC without a shadow of a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

UPC, very happy with their service and their broadband speeds are exactly as advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Have internet with Magnet. Well supposed to have internet with them, it's always down when you need it. I'm even using the mobile broadband right now because it's down again. I'd never recommend it to anyone, it's painful...

I had UPC before and I found it good. Never had Eircom so I don't have any info regarding them. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Caoimh37

Thanks for all replies...

Thanks yeah was looking at Magnet - cos they offer good speeds and they offer a gaming package that I'm very interested, your experience doesn't fill me with confidence tho :(

Anyone else out there with Magnet??

that could offer their advice before I go with the other crowd.... which is looking like UPC at this point

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Caoimh37 wrote: »
    Thanks for all replies...

Thanks yeah was looking at Magnet - cos they offer good speeds and they offer a gaming package that I'm very interested, your experience doesn't fill me with confidence tho :(

Anyone else out there with Magnet??

that could offer their advice before I go with the other crowd.... which is looking like UPC at this point

Thanks

if it's any help I'm getting a download speed of 6.93 on it right now. It's usually up around 8 or so though. It was advertised as being 24Mb when we subscribed, never got anywhere near that though

2279313360.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭Panrich

2279179708.png

I have no complaints about Magnet. Always great speeds and never lose connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Panrich wrote: »
    2279179708.png

I have no complaints about Magnet. Always great speeds and never lose connection.

But not a patch on UPC.

2279919347.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

UPC is by far the best provider. It;s not that expensive if you bundle the connection with TV / Phone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Ranicand wrote: »
    But not a patch on UPC.

2279919347.png

What speed are the 3% of Ireland you're not faster than on I wonder....

• Advertisement

ArthurG wrote: »
    What speed are the 3% of Ireland you're not faster than on I wonder....

It takes upload into account also.

When it is off peak hours I get over 9Mb upload and I am faster then 99%.

My upload speed is meant to be 10Mb but it never drops below 7 so I am happy enough with that.
    My download always stays above 150.

This is Friday afternoon all the teens will be playing games online and hitting Youtube so I don't get my full upload speed but I am happy enough with this.

As regards download speeds UPC seem to have more then enough bandwidth.

2281547823.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

One point in Magnet's favour is that they don't have any cap at all. Their FUP doesn't even mention a limit.

animaal wrote: »
    One point in Magnet's favour is that they don't have any cap at all. Their FUP doesn't even mention a limit.

I am now using Sky on Demand and many of the downloads are in Gigs.

The UPC 550GB fair usage CAP starts to worry me.

However DSL is dire in my area.

Advertisement