Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiped external hard drive

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

...oh, and to anybody else reading this thread - backup, backup, backup!!

Leaving 1,000s of photos on an external drive lying around the house with no other copies is sheer madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

JDxtra wrote: »
    ...oh, and to anybody else reading this thread - backup, backup, backup!!

Leaving 1,000s of photos on an external drive lying around the house with no other copies is sheer madness.

so true. I have 2x 2TB drives in my PC, if one ever fails I always have a backup. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I have recovered 3121 photos and a hundred or so video files thanks to this thread. There are a few than were not recovered but there was 17gig overwritten by the xbox so I presume they must have been lost there. I dont know whether to back them up to the drive again or keep trying to get the last few photos. I'm going to make several copies of them now and store them in a few different locations. I dont want to go through all that again.
    I am really annoyed about the pc repair shop, I dont know what to do. I dont think they would give me a refund anyway but I would like them to know how unhappy I am with their service. I knew they were the most expensive in town but I thought that they would probably be the best to go to as they have the biggest, most professional looking shop and they are the longets established in the town. I just cant understand how they could not find the photos! If I had taken their word for it I would have lost them forever.
    Thanks again to everybody for their advice, if ever being a member of boards was worthwhile it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Glas you got them back OP, as for a PC repair shop I wouldn't thurst them as far I as I could throw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

stevek93 wrote: »
    so true. I have 2x 2TB drives in my PC, if one ever fails I always have a backup. :D

What if somebody steals your PC, or even worse - you experience a fire in the home?

Cloud backup or off site backups will help. I have an additional drive I keep away from the home (for example in the shed, at work or in the glove box of the car).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Firblog

stevek93 wrote: »
    Glas you got them back OP, as for a PC repair shop I wouldn't thurst them as far I as I could throw them.

Tarring a few ppl on here with that brush I'd say...

Advertisement