Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Our Dysfunctional Relationship with the Term: 'Ignorant'

• 30-10-2012 2:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Am I the only Irish person alive who is a aware that 'ignorant' and 'arrogant' are not interchangable terms?

How did 'ignorant' come to mean rude or nasty in this country?

Ironically, this confusion shows that the Irish people calling others 'ignorant' are the most ignorant of all!

Comments

Ignorant of good manners is still ignorant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yeah, you can often get funny looks when you say I'm quite ignorant about "such and such"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i'm ignorant so i wouldn't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

<@Cedaie&gt; Your ignorance isn't helping.
    <@KTottE&gt; How am I ignorant?
    <@Cedaie&gt; <@KTottE&gt; Do it again, do it right - Ooh great help *clap* *clap*
    <@KTottE&gt; http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ignorant
    <@KTottE&gt; Maybe the word you were searching for was http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=arrogant ?
    <@Cedaie&gt; yeah thats the one
    <@Cedaie&gt; Your arrogance isn't helping,
    <@KTottE&gt; Neither is your ignorance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Am I the only Irish person alive who is a aware that 'ignorant' and 'arrogant' are not interchangable terms?

Calling someone 'ignorant' in this context means that they don't know how to behave properly.
    Ironically, this confusion shows that the Irish people calling others 'ignorant' are the most ignorant of all!

Whats ironic is that you're ignorant of the meaning behind calling people ignorant. Maybe you are the most ignorant Irish person alive, as you don't understand your own countries' common colloquialisms. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

People are too quick to take it as a pejorative. It's often used that way but it doesn't have to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

<@Cedaie&gt; Your ignorance isn't helping.
    <@KTottE&gt; How am I ignorant?
    <@Cedaie&gt; <@KTottE&gt; Do it again, do it right - Ooh great help *clap* *clap*
    <@KTottE&gt; http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ignorant
    <@KTottE&gt; Maybe the word you were searching for was http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=arrogant ?
    <@Cedaie&gt; yeah thats the one
    <@Cedaie&gt; Your arrogance isn't helping,
    <@KTottE&gt; Neither is your ignorance

The f*** is this?

The f*** is this?

Are you professing ignorance of its origin, good sir?

Bash.org:)

I like this one:

#618078 +(2048)- [X]
    ErrorHst : im getting tired of your ignorance
    DoomDayMassacre : im not ignoring u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

It used to really bug me how people got those two words mixed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

bluewolf wrote: »
    Are you professing ignorance of its origin, good sir?

Bash.org:)

I like this one:

#618078 +(2048)- [X]
    ErrorHst : im getting tired of your ignorance
    DoomDayMassacre : im not ignoring u

Indeed'n I am!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

did you start this thread after seeing another poster make the same complaint on another thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Gurgle wrote: »
    Calling someone 'ignorant' in this context means that they don't know how to behave properly.

Whats ironic is that you're ignorant of the meaning behind calling people ignorant. Maybe you are the most ignorant Irish person alive, as you don't understand your own countries' common colloquialisms. :P

and calling it a 'Dort' still makes it a train.

CASE CLOSED

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

People are always confusing words.

I'm an electrician and was working on a house wiring job one day for this guy, as his fuse box kept blowing out.

Discovered the issue and was telling him that it I felt he had a serious impedance problem - bastard flung me down the stairs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Yep, like the time in a department store when an American woman asked me if her fanny looked big in what she was wearing.

I still have the restaining order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

and calling it a 'Dort' still makes it a train.
    CASE CLOSED
    D is for Dublin
    A is for Area
    R is for Rapid
    T is for Transit.

It is of course a train, but its a very particular one. It runs in the Dublin area, and is intended to facilitate rapid transit.

You must have a fit when someone refers to a vacuum cleaner as a hoover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Is this what people care about these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

What pisses me off is when people describe any political position they don't happen to agree with as 'ignorant'.
    Like there was that time the hardcore Christians in Britain didn't want an unmarried gay couple staying in their B+B. They got accused of being 'ignorant' by all sorts of lobby groups.
    Surely by any definition, they were the opposite of ignorant? They didn't want the gay lads staying in their home because they knew all about homosexuality and didn't agree with it. If they'd been ignorant, they'd have let them stay in their blessed innocence.

It's a colloqialism. Hiberno-English. 'Desperate' can have a different meaning in Ireland too, depending.

Even when used the Hiberno-English way, I don't see people using 'ignorant' as interchangeable with 'arrogant'.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    People are too quick to take it as a pejorative. It's often used that way but it doesn't have to be.

Yeah, I don't mind saying I'm ignorant of a particular topic, especially if asked my opinion on it. Better than bluffing and making an eejit of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I still have the restaining order.

Not sure if that was intended or not, but a good joke if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Whether or not you like it, "ignorant", which usually refers to lack of knowledge, also means "boorish" or "devoid of good manners" in the Hiberno-English spoken in many parts of Ireland, especially the Midlands.

http://lifeis2shortdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/ignorance-is-bliss.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We were all born ignorant ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Whether or not you like it, "ignorant", which usually refers to lack of knowledge, also means "boorish" or "devoid of good manners" in the Hiberno-English spoken in many parts of Ireland, especially the Midlands.

http://lifeis2shortdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/ignorance-is-bliss.jpg

+1.

The term "pig-ignorant" is also used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Rude and nasty people are described as ignorant, because they are ignorant of the accepted standards and codes of good manners and decency!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Gurgle wrote: »
    D is for Dublin
    A is for Area
    R is for Rapid
    T is for Transit.

Have you used the Cork one?

As an aside 15 years ago to my knowledge the word ignorant was barely used but perfectly well understood in Ireland. I would always have a laugh when in the states at its misuse hover it has sadly spread.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    15 years ago to my knowledge the word ignorant was barely used but perfectly well understood in Ireland.
    Ignorant was always (for at least the last 30 odd years anyway) commonly used as a criticism of behaviour / attitude.
    Balmed Out wrote: »
    I would always have a laugh when in the states at its misuse hover it has sadly spread.
    Is this another one? What does hover mean in this context?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I'm an electrician and was working on a house wiring job one day for this guy, as his fuse box kept blowing out.

Discovered the issue and was telling him that it I felt he had a serious impedance problem - bastard flung me down the stairs.

Ohm... oh i get it

• Advertisement
Advertisement