Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to figure Harmonica Keys?!

Options
  • 30-10-2012 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Trying to figure out which harmonicas to buy!
    If I had the cash, I'd buy every key available and just try them in turn!

For example on this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wZfs0fKM2Oo&noredirect=1
    At 52:06

How would I be able to figure which key the harmonica is being played in?
    Capo on 2nd fret, Chords are G D Em C

I've got some major keys, none work for it,
    Thinking he's into minor territory?

Any help!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Your link doesn't work but those chords would be in the key of A major/F sharp minor given that the capo is on the second fret.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 IvanM

ah ok!
    mind me asking how you worked that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Typically for folk and similar genres, the key of the harmonica matches the key of the piece.

Typically for blues, the key of the harmonica is a fourth above the key of the piece.

The best thing to do is buy just a couple of harmonicas (or even just one) and learn in one key; if you're learning a song in a different key, just transpose the accompaniment (with a capo for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

IvanM wrote: »
    ah ok!
    mind me asking how you worked that out?

Those three major chords and the relative minor are in the key of G major/E minor. You've put a capo on the second fret so you're playing a whole tone up, which makes the key A major/F# minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 IvanM

ah ok, cool.
    thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement