Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked Mascarpone Cheesecake

Options
  • 30-10-2012 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭

I bought some Baileys Orange Truffle in the airport a couple of weeks ago and came across a great recipe online for baked cheesecake with the Baileys in it. The problem is that I just cannot find cream cheese over here, other than the standard Philadelphia spreadable-type stuff and according to the Philadelphia site I shouldn't use this cheese for baking, yet I don't have many options.

I visited Waitrose and the cheesemonger suggested I use Mascarpone, but I don't know whether I can directly swap it for the cream cheese? If not, can anyone suggest something else that I can use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

SuprSi wrote: »
    I bought some Baileys Orange Truffle in the airport a couple of weeks ago and came across a great recipe online for baked cheesecake with the Baileys in it. The problem is that I just cannot find cream cheese over here, other than the standard Philadelphia spreadable-type stuff and according to the Philadelphia site I shouldn't use this cheese for baking, yet I don't have many options.

I visited Waitrose and the cheesemonger suggested I use Mascarpone, but I don't know whether I can directly swap it for the cream cheese? If not, can anyone suggest something else that I can use?

What's the standard spreadable type stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Original, full-fat Philadelphia is perfectly suitable for making cheesecake with. You can get it pretty much anywhere, in tubs or in those foil-wrapped "bricks".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

What's the standard spreadable type stuff?

The normal Philadelphia you see in tubs in the shops.
    Gauge wrote: »
    Original, full-fat Philadelphia is perfectly suitable for making cheesecake with. You can get it pretty much anywhere, in tubs or in those foil-wrapped "bricks".

Really? I thought that originally but according to their site here;

http://philly.com.au/faq/category/1

I shouldn't use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

The block cream cheese is the one I'm referring to (recently I've been seeing it in tubs as well) and the FAQ you linked to says it is okay to use that. The UK site actually has a good few cheesecake recipes that use it.

As long as it says original and full fat on the wrapper or tub, you should be good to go :)

I shouldn't use it?

That's awful confusing. Maybe you've got a different product over there. The round tub there doesn't look like what we have here (except for maybe Low low, they do a version of spreadable cheese)

If you can get it in a brick form then use that.

• Advertisement

I just realised that site is the Australian version! Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep my eyes open for the original full fat versions and see if I can spot the blocks anywhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

I've always used the normal full fat Philly without any problems.
    Not made a cheesecake with a low fat version but I do know it's inclined to split when I use it in a few baked chicken recipes.

I shouldn't use it?

Just found this on the UK site using the normal stuff, so happy days :)

http://www.philadelphia.co.uk/philadelphia3/page?siteid=philadelphia3-prd&locale=uken1&PagecRef=609&rid=29537

Looking forward to trying it out at the weekend now

Just found this on the UK site using the normal stuff, so happy days :)

http://www.philadelphia.co.uk/philadelphia3/page?siteid=philadelphia3-prd&locale=uken1&PagecRef=609&rid=29537

Looking forward to trying it out at the weekend now

Only one problem - this recipe isn't baked. Anyone used regular Philadelphia with a baked cheesecake?

Only one problem - this recipe isn't baked. Anyone used regular Philadelphia with a baked cheesecake?

I've used the tesco brand cream cheese in a baked cheesecake. I presume it's similar. Cake turned out grand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've used Philadelphia in Avoca's pecan and maple streusel cheesecake. It's baked, and it turned out perfect. I always use Philadelphia in recipes that call for cream cheese unless they mention a specific type.
    As others have said, make sure it's full fat and not Philadelphia Light.

Superb, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks again!

Advertisement