Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hearing aid in CorkCity

Options
  • 30-10-2012 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,
    I am hard of hearing,annoying the rest of family with the tv up loud & finding it difficult to hear when there is background noise.
    I probably need a hearing aid but dont know where to start,I was told the companys in the yellow pages are sales orentaited,I wouldnt like to wear the big hearing aid that you see at the back of peoples ear but I have heard that the small ones fitted inside the ear cost thousands.I would appreciate any advice you could give me,thanks royston.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hi Royston, my partner needed hearing aids about 4years ago and went to egans opticians and hearing lavitts quay for a check up. The girl there did all the tests ect and partner told her he didn't want the big battery type aids and she offered him a new aid called "starkey zon 5" and price was €3500!!!!
    Partner said he'd need to go away and think about it!! Went we got home he went on line and found a company in the uk called "affordable hearing" ruislip London. Got in contact with them told them what aid he needed the zon5 and they gave us a time and date to come over, the price of the aids and the flights for two of us to heathrow return to cork was €1750. From heathrow to ruislip you get the tube only two changes very straight forward.
    Partner was only in affordable hearing for a half hour to get them fitted and told how to look after them and got a years batteries with them. Any time he runs out of them he applies on line for more and gets them free which is a great service.
    He finds them great when he has them on you'd never notice he's wearing them, they adjust themselves to the noise around him eg walking into busy pubs.hope this helps you. The companies here will rob ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 royston1

Thanks for that Tipperary animal lover,I will look in to that.

Tipperary animal lover,I just had a quick look at that website,what about serviceing of the hearingaids & retuning & software downloads,does your partner need to get this done & if so does he get it done in Ireland or London? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Olidolly

I would suggest that you give a call to the Cork deaf association. I did some years back when my father was in exactly the same position as you. Not deaf but finding it hard to follow conversations if there was any background noise, telly blaring....etc. They do (or did then) sell products for the hard of hearing.Not sure about hearing aids as such but I am sure they would give you some really good advice to get started with - they are exceptionally helpful !
    I see on their website that there is also a regular meeting of people who are hard of hearing - might be worth dropping into that some week to garner additional opinion on the best option to take.

http://www.corkdeaf.ie/auralRehabilitation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Jon_459

I agree with Olidolly - talk to someone other than a seller first. Check with your doctor or medical professional... sometimes hearing aids are not the correct solution.

• Advertisement

Thanks for replys people I will look in to all of above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

royston1 wrote: »
    Thanks for replys people I will look in to all of above.

He sent them back to the uk for retuining and service as they are 5years guarantee, it's worked out good so far for him 4yrs later and he'd recommend them to anybody still, it's just an option, call to a hearing aid centre and go from there, best of luck....

Thanks Tipperary animal lover.

Advertisement