Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defending the Nintendo of 2012

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Just a small aside, but surely i cant be the only person in the world who held off on arkham city because i want to play it with the wii u controller?

For the sake of an inventory screen, to motion controll a batarang and get a costume that make you look like george clooneys batman??...... I think you may be in the minority

Warning:This post was packaged in the same factory where sarcasm products are processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

hightower1 wrote: »

For the sake of an inventory screen, to motion controll a batarang

Um...yeah. Those are the reasons. Guess i am in the minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Had a WII and sold and have a DS that has sat on a shelf gathering dust for years.

I don't know what it is, but I could never get into Nintendo stuff at all. I tend to struggle to get into alot of things to be honest, with my gaming interests being mammoth titles that require outragous time investment.

I never felt anything Nintendo related could catch my attention for more then a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Nintendo 'abandoned' their fans, and the the Wii was a worthless piece of crap for children.

Yep, pretty much sums it up.

Wii was a garbage kids toy based on a gimmick with a handful of decent games and a boatload of shovelware ****. Nintendo are dead to me, couldnt give a ****e about them. Im not interested in another Nintendo gimmick based console either (wii u).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

TheDoc wrote: »
    DS that has sat on a shelf gathering dust

You can't find games for the DS?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Whatever about the Wii, but if you can't find games to please you on the DS, then you have very fussy standards indeed :eek: Perhaps the richest, most varied software catalogue since the PS2.

Also, while Nintendo consoles certainly are home to mountains of shovelware, that's hardly a slight on Nintendo themselves. Most of the great consoles - from NES to PS2 - have had a horrific quality to quantity ratio. It's only when you shovel through the piles of cack that the gems emerge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Thread needs a poll badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

hightower1 wrote: »
    Thread needs a poll badly.
    Dead right. That'd be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I much rather the process in which people actually have to justify their views. Call me a stickler. Anyways, the result of such a poll would be a foregone conclusion, I imagine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Anyways, the result of such a poll would be a foregone conclusion, I imagine.

22_main.jpg

• Advertisement

GTR63 wrote: »
    You can't find games for the DS?

Yeah I've tried plenty, and they dont appeal to me. I'll play them for maybe 30 minutes tops before moving back onto the PC.

My friends all have DS's and play loads of RPG type games, along with getting the new iterations of Pokemon, which I just see as a patch release every year or two for €40 : /

I bought my DS when I moved away for a summer and it filled that gap, and it has filled various gaps previous. But it seems to be those gaps are on planes, or some sort of transport where I physically cant have a PC or laptop.

It is mostly preference though, I'm not knocking the thing, its easy to understand its merits. But I'm in that camp of Nintendo titles don't hold my attention, feel childish and kiddy and are a gap filler rather then a time sink. And I know I'm not the only one in that boat, and I think its unfair that those points be diminished from posters previous.

At the same time, this thread has revived my interest in giving it another go. I've a few bob to spare so might pick a few titles up over lunch.

If you were to name five titles to make a tyre kicker fall in love with his DS, what would they be?

*P.S , I'll actually go with the general consensus, if I dont like it still, can give games to my GF, she ****ing loves her DS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No I'm not simply defending my "beloved console" (which, TBH, I think is a slightly condescending simplification of my argument), I'm defending the output and spirit of innovation and quality of a well-established gaming company I've seen unjustly maligned recently.
    I hope you realise that the thread is pointless :D
    All it's going to do is generate thanks for the nintendo fans that come in and support each others views. And the same for people that don't like it, they'll come in with their excuses why they don't like it which will be ignored/dismissed! Basically, no side will change their views!
    You can call the controller "innovative" or "different" all you like, but i'm guessing most people have used it by now. You either like it or you don't. Calling it innovative won't convince anyone that hates it that it's good! I hate it btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Cienciano wrote: »
    I hope you realise that the thread is pointless :D
    All it's going to do is generate thanks for the nintendo fans that come in and support each others views. And the same for people that don't like it, they'll come in with their excuses why they don't like it which will be ignored/dismissed! Basically, no side will change their views!

There elephant was minding its own business, 'til you went and booted it up the gicker. I think you've made the entire notion of free internet discussion redundant with that logic. I mean, it's as worthy of debate as any other topic within gaming, so sure, why not?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There should be no Nintendo fans, just good game fans what ever format they are on.
    Nintendo have been more imaginative than most, however, and have produced much that is the best in class, Mario Galaxy and it's sequel are sublime and a reminder that gaming does not have to be an online frag fest.
    The Wii didn't have a killer FPS of it's own but, ironically given the previous paragraph, it's COD games played rather well with the controls, looks pretty good via component cable too.

Getting away from motion controls and the format had plenty to interest, the Metroid Prime Trilogy pack is a must have and can teach Halo and the rest a thing or two about, well about almost every aspect of gaming.

When the dust settles on the late '00's and we finally see what games really made the grade in the 6 or 7 years of the current gen, I reckon the Wii will compare favourably with the 360 and easily trump the largely derivative PS3 software library.

The DS Lite was/is the must have gaming companion of the last decade, with a beautiful screen and a truly vast gaming choice with brilliant titles throughout.
    Forget puppy sims or minigame extravaganzas (although WarioWare Touched is to the DS what Tetris was to the Gameboy, everyone who calls themselves a gamer should have a copy).
    My DS collection is, unwieldy to say the least, a collection of RPGs, Puzzle games, Racing and Shmups, and every combination in between.

The 3DS is shaping up to do the same, with a decent catalogue of titles, developers with imagination and a console with the horsepower to do these ideas justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The DS Lite was/is the must have gaming companion of the last decade, with a beautiful screen and a truly vast gaming choice with brilliant titles throughout.
    Forget puppy sims or minigame extravaganzas (although WarioWare Touched is to the DS what Tetris was to the Gameboy, everyone who calls themselves a gamer should have a copy).
    My DS collection is, unwieldy to say the least, a collection of RPGs, Puzzle games, Racing and Shmups, and every combination in between.

The 3DS is shaping up to do the same, with a decent catalogue of titles, developers with imagination and a console with the horsepower to do these ideas justice.

By everything in between I assume your on about the likes of Hotel Dusk, Ace Attourney and Ghost Trick. Its a pity we haven't seen a few new ip oddities like that turn up yet for the 3DS but I guess it is early days and we still got Rhythm Thief. Still only have about 5 games for it myself.

Well after going through a number of websites and "lists" it seems the following appear on most top 10/20 lists for must play DS games

Space Invaders Extreme
    Phoenix Wright
    Castlevania
    Dragon Quest XI
    Puzzle quest : Challenge of the warlords
    Advanced wars : Dual strike
    Grand theft auto chinatown wars
    The world ends with you
    Pokemon HeartGold./SoulSilver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well after going through a number of websites and "lists" it seems the following appear on most top 10/20 lists for must play DS games

Space Invaders Extreme
    Phoenix Wright
    Castlevania
    Dragon Quest XI
    Puzzle quest : Challenge of the warlords
    Advanced wars : Dual strike
    Grand theft auto chinatown wars
    The world ends with you
    Pokemon HeartGold./SoulSilver

Bowser's Inside Story, Contra 4, Elite Beat Agents, Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Professor Layton, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Chrono Trigger, Might & Magic, Advance Wars...there's loads of stuff for DS, in so many varied genres, it's hard to come up with a definitive top ten or twenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've got Okamiden but still have to play it. If it's anything like Okami then I really need to get my finger out as that was the best non-Zelda Zelda game I've played

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

999 on the ds, especially you're planning on playing the follow up, Virtue's Last Reward (on the 3ds/Vita)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For what it's worth, I consider the DS Lite to be the absolute pinnacle of mobile gaming design.

• Advertisement
Advertisement