Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how houses in remote areas of connemara get rid of waste water and sewage?

Options
  • 30-10-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi,

Can you please explain me how is that organized?

Does each house is connected to the pipe to take the waste water from the house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

a septic tank maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

triple-M wrote: »
    a septic tank maybe?

maybe is not good enought for me:cool:

so are there pipes in the road that collect waste water, or septic tanks?

and one moe question- where these remote houses get fresh water from? pipes or each house drill the ground to get water?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Each house has a septic tank with a percolation area beside it ,newer houses use sewage treatment plants,these are all paid for and maintained at the expence of the householder.

pepe00 wrote: »
    maybe is not good enought for me:cool:

so are there pipes in the road that collect waste water, or septic tanks?

and one moe question- where these remote houses get fresh water from?

water comes from private group water schemes.some wells most of these paid for by the house holder

thank you for answers...

i was wandering about how they manage sewage, as in my country - slovenia- if you not connected to the pipe, you must use the tank beside house ( underground) and every 2 months you call kind of cistern truck, to take it from you.

and here in ireland I have never saw those kind of trucks...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

You might see someone with a tractor and slurry spreader taking away septic tank contents, for a small fee, and then spreading it on his land though...

The contents of the tank soak into the ground through a percolation bed of stone and sandy clay if this is working properly and there is no smell there is no need to empty the tank regurarly.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    and then spreading it on his land though...

you mean "organic" veg:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    You might see someone with a tractor and slurry spreader taking away septic tank contents, for a small fee, and then spreading it on his land though...

Slurry tankers in Connemara are about as common as combine harvesters :D Not in the proper parts of Connemara anyway :cool:

There is a truck or two that come around and suck out the contents of the tank and dispose of it, where I don't know but they seem to be genuine outfits.

Not sure what happens to washing machine, bath and other I suppose grey waters. I don't know if they go into the septic tank or a soakaway type affair :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Not sure what happens to washing machine, bath and other I suppose grey waters. I don't know if they go into the septic tank or a soakaway type affair :confused:

New building regs call for grey water to go straight to the septic tank as well as toilet waste water. That means septic tanks empties to the drainage percolation area more often.

Septic tanks should be emptied at least every 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Red Pepper wrote: »
    New building regs call for grey water to go straight to the septic tank as well as toilet waste water. That means septic tanks empties to the drainage percolation area more often.

Septic tanks should be emptied at least every 2 years.

Some detergents contain chemicals which can kill the bacteria necessary for a septic tank to work properly. I have a grease trap and seperate percolation for my grey water.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

Fresh water may be supplied by a local "group water scheme" or a private well on site, depending on availability in the area.

28% of Irish homes use an individual septic tank.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septic_tank

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I think septic tanks are probably the most ecologically sound way of dealing with waste arent they?

The rules about placement and planning permission/inspections are pretty detailed and thorough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

pepe00 wrote: »
    and one moe question- where these remote houses get fresh water from? pipes or each house drill the ground to get water?

A lake.

Its a remote rain fed bog lake with no wildlife around(!) and we filter it for drinking.

Advertisement