Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service Issues-End of my patience

Options
  • 30-10-2012 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

To Eircom and whoever else may be able to help:

Firstly let me apologise for the long text.

I have reached the end of my patience with the service being provided by Eircom. Just to give a little background:

I moved into a rented house located in Navan in July 2012. I needed a good, fast reliable internet connection. I foolishly believe Eircom were the right choice for me considering that they are the biggest provider and members of my family recommended them. It is imperative that my connection is stable and quick as i work from home aloe and need to access my drives in work using a VPN connection.

I logged on to the Eircom website and went through what they had to offer. I decided that the 24mb option was for me. I checked my address on their website to ensure that it was available and great news, it was.

I placed my order and everything arrived about a week later. Happy days. I set everything up and like magic i had internet however i noticed from the very beginning it was incredibly slow. I did numerous wifi speed tests and the highest i have reached for Download speed is .86mb and the highest for upload is .23mb. Now im now expert but i reckon that is a long way off what i was expecting.

Now before anyone says anything i know it says "up to 24mb". All i was expecting was 10+Mb. Not much to expect.

As my wife is the account holder she phoned the customer service line to be met with the most rude and unhelpful person you could imagine. The customer service agent advised that our line is only capable of taking 2mb and that we were only being charged for 8mb. My wife then explains to the lady that we ordered 24mb which eircom accepted and asked her if she felt it was right that they accepted our original order, then changed it themselves without any notice to the 8mb service but knowing we can only receive 2mb. The lady basically said "Nothing i can do, it is what it is". The customer service agent then called out a list of details of the account holder at this address an they were neither mine nor my wifes. She asked why were these details on the account. The lady then advised that that was the name of the previous account holder. We asked for this to be changed and she advised we would need to write in to do this. We refused and said you took our order, have messed it up and you cant keep your system up to date.

I have since queried with the landlord and noone of that name has ever lived at this address.

During the call the lady was extremely rude and forceful. My wife requested to speak to her manager and was advised there was no manager on duty. My wife then asked for her name and recieved the following response:

"By law i do not have to give you my name and i am refusing to do so"

Can anyone confirm if such a law exists? My wife then asked for a call back and was told that she could not arrange this and they we would have to call back. She eventually agreed to a call back. This was back in August. We are coming into November and there is no call back to date!

Fast forward to today, after numerous calls with no resolution and an extremely frustrating few days working at home i have reached the end. My wife has phoned to cancel the service however has been told there is a contract in place and would not be able to do so.

I am no legal expert however i believe the contract to be null and void for the following reasons:

1) The service ordered has not been received.
    2) The provider agreed to a certain service knowing they were unable to provide it.
    3) The provider changed the terms of the service without the account holders agreement.
    4) The provider changed the service to a level which they once again knew could be achieved without any consultation with the account holder.

All i want is a good reliable internet connection. Can someone please help as we are getting nowhere with the Eircom customer service people!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

To Eircom and whoever else may be able to help:

Firstly let me apologise for the long text.

I have reached the end of my patience with the service being provided by Eircom. Just to give a little background:

I moved into a rented house located in Navan in July 2012. I needed a good, fast reliable internet connection. I foolishly believe Eircom were the right choice for me considering that they are the biggest provider and members of my family recommended them. It is imperative that my connection is stable and quick as i work from home aloe and need to access my drives in work using a VPN connection.

I logged on to the Eircom website and went through what they had to offer. I decided that the 24mb option was for me. I checked my address on their website to ensure that it was available and great news, it was.

I placed my order and everything arrived about a week later. Happy days. I set everything up and like magic i had internet however i noticed from the very beginning it was incredibly slow. I did numerous wifi speed tests and the highest i have reached for Download speed is .86mb and the highest for upload is .23mb. Now im now expert but i reckon that is a long way off what i was expecting.

Now before anyone says anything i know it says "up to 24mb". All i was expecting was 10+Mb. Not much to expect.

As my wife is the account holder she phoned the customer service line to be met with the most rude and unhelpful person you could imagine. The customer service agent advised that our line is only capable of taking 2mb and that we were only being charged for 8mb. My wife then explains to the lady that we ordered 24mb which eircom accepted and asked her if she felt it was right that they accepted our original order, then changed it themselves without any notice to the 8mb service but knowing we can only receive 2mb. The lady basically said "Nothing i can do, it is what it is". The customer service agent then called out a list of details of the account holder at this address an they were neither mine nor my wifes. She asked why were these details on the account. The lady then advised that that was the name of the previous account holder. We asked for this to be changed and she advised we would need to write in to do this. We refused and said you took our order, have messed it up and you cant keep your system up to date.

I have since queried with the landlord and noone of that name has ever lived at this address.

During the call the lady was extremely rude and forceful. My wife requested to speak to her manager and was advised there was no manager on duty. My wife then asked for her name and recieved the following response:

"By law i do not have to give you my name and i am refusing to do so"

Can anyone confirm if such a law exists? My wife then asked for a call back and was told that she could not arrange this and they we would have to call back. She eventually agreed to a call back. This was back in August. We are coming into November and there is no call back to date!

Fast forward to today, after numerous calls with no resolution and an extremely frustrating few days working at home i have reached the end. My wife has phoned to cancel the service however has been told there is a contract in place and would not be able to do so.

I am no legal expert however i believe the contract to be null and void for the following reasons:

1) The service ordered has not been received.
    2) The provider agreed to a certain service knowing they were unable to provide it.
    3) The provider changed the terms of the service without the account holders agreement.
    4) The provider changed the service to a level which they once again knew could be achieved without any consultation with the account holder.

All i want is a good reliable internet connection. Can someone please help as we are getting nowhere with the Eircom customer service people!

Hi Redsox Rover,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Can you PM me with the name on the account and the account number and I will look into the issues you outlined. It may take a few days.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Redsox Rover

Hi Mark,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I have just pm'ed you the details.

We had no internet connection all night last night and none this morning before we left for work.

Would really appreciate your help on this as it is imperative i am able to access an internet connection for my work.

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I have just pm'ed you the details.

We had no internet connection all night last night and none this morning before we left for work.

Would really appreciate your help on this as it is imperative i am able to access an internet connection for my work.

Thanks,

Hi Redsox Rover

Apologies for the delay in getting back you. I am still looking into it. I hope to be back to you soon.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement