Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'No Fair' thread'

• 18-10-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

DannyGrey wrote: »
    Well i hope i have got the right landowners but dont worry i dont plan on getting into trouble for a few photos.

Anyone else that would like to get copy of my photos from Saturday please pm me as it looks like i am going to be the only person to be seen on the land or near the tracks that day as Downpatrick states it very clearly about Saturdays rules that no one will be allowed to acces to the line for lineside photos

I shouldnt be hard to spot as there should be me only out there that day

So there's gaming land near the DCDR. Stray gunshots. Playfair creeping around. Hmmm... :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

i tell you this road12 they made a fool out of everyone today money wasted all round for all that made travel plans to get to dcdr not impressed at all i want answers why they ran trains but yet put out by text and on boards like this everything was cancelled

i want a public answer to it not some behind the scene reply they need to be open to all that got shafted today :mad:

Playfair back yet again and lacking originality - Quelle Surprise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

CaptainFreedom - why is your worry? If they don't want to reach out, they won't.

By the way...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126578&page=4

dowlingm wrote: »

What about it? Anyone can talk rubbish on the internet as you are well aware (I hope)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

What about it? Anyone can talk rubbish on the internet as you are well aware (I hope)

You should know, you do more than your fair share of it - mind your jib. :p

You should know, you do more than your fair share of it - mind your jib. :p

You did it in the real world and your rep proceeds you, along with the damage done - What a waste of your 10,000th post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

*gets the popcorn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

dowlingm wrote: »

+1...........All regular posters should declare their 'interests and society affiliations' in 'the conflict of interests' thread IMO as a matter of courtesy !!! Most of 'us' regular posters have done so anyway, whether there was a conflict of interest or not !!!

You did it in the real world and your rep proceeds you, along with the damage done - What a waste of your 10,000th post

Why don't you tell us about the 'dizzy heights' that you reached yourself? :D

Why don't you tell us about the 'dizzy heights' that you reached yourself? :D

Ive no need to, I dont feel compelled like an old fisherman talking about 'the ones that got away'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Knock it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Railway Worker

Niles wrote: »
    In fairness the ITG isn't a commercial organisation; it's a voluntary run group aiming to preserve heritage locomotives, something I'd assume most members of this particular subforum would be in support of?

i heard they are the boss of the dcdr time for a rename for downpatrick, irish traction group heritage centre downpatrick , sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

i heard they are the boss of the dcdr time for a rename for downpatrick, irish traction group heritage centre downpatrick , sounds about right.

Em, yeh, ok, whatever...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Road12

Talk sense railway worker

Road12 wrote: »
    Talk sense railway worker

yea you would know road12 away and derail yourself

railway worker -a good ride wud kill ya ! on a train i mean

railway worker -a good ride wud kill ya ! on a train i mean

well thats the joys of working in control everyday not like you bluffer lot giving us headaches everyday whinning there every 5 minutes to us ??

its the drivers that i feel sorry for having you as a conductor:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Road 12 is somewhat 'conflicted'

In fairness, the poor guy seems to also suffer from a multiple personality disorder given the amount of new users contributing to this tread who are now, bizarrely, starting to insult each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cyberbeagle

medium?v=mpbl-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Is it just me or is it the same faction fighting going on here which blighted IRN? Come to think of it, is / are the same individual(s) involved too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DannyGrey

PM me and I'll verify your identity :)

Can i ask you Losty Dublin who you really are .It would seem to me that Railway Worker cant reply he has been banned .

The rules on here are very one sided any right thinking person would stay clear of the transprot section full of headers

• Advertisement

Can i ask you Losty Dublin who you really are .It would seem to me that Railway Worker cant reply he has been banned .

The rules on here are very one sided any right thinking person would stay clear of the transprot section full of headers

He/you still seems very active. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Having been a long time reader of C&T and more recently this sub forum, I was inclined to join boards to offer opinion in what I'd hope would be a friendly environment. While this is off topic, I just want to say that I'm personally appalled by the carry on of so called rail enthusiasts. Having witnessed many clever and articulate people being banned from these 2 forums, it now appears to be a case of pot calling the kettle black because some here offer little except blind arrogance and trouble making. While I won't name those banned, they certainly didn't drag the forum down to this pathetic level.

Is there any chance one can just enjoy some discussion without all the bickering?

He/you still seems very active. :D

Hi Judgement Day or ever you might be, i am active and dont start on me it was me who started this thread about the ITG .

It was the rest of you lot here who bloody hijacked it and sent it right of topic not me.

So you see i am active and have been since my first message on the ITG thread so go and bully someone else i use my real name who are you lot then.

Danny Grey

David Walsh - A complete and utter wankpot

I don't think that you're going to with us much longer - at least not as Road12.

Indeed! At least Play fair has left the scene (aka railway worker) Now who am I??

Indeed! At least Play fair has left the scene (aka railway worker) Now who am I??

I'd say the description you applied to David Walsh would fit you. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Iolaire

This is becoming tiresome and most depressing now. Really, beyond puerile.

In the absence of civility, informed discussion, or anything else worthy of particular note, this thread should now just be locked unless somebody actually wants to offer some constructive discussion, positive or negative, on the ITG, as the title might suggest would be found here. The emphasis being on constructive.

Fine we'll go elsewhere to give all you ****ing moron's a headache! First of all , i'm away for a doze in me snatcher

• Advertisement

Does it take one to know one Chris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Abuse not welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Im absolutely appalled at the behaviour of some posters in this thread, maybe Im naive, but in the last few months since I joined boards Iv certainly got an insight into the minds of trainspotters, and to think when I go to Downpatrick in 3weeks time I could be surrounded by some of these people, I hope alcohol is not allowed in on the day, I'II be keeping a strict eye on the escape routes, just in case, what am I letting myself in for, worse than a soccer match, normal people with normal jobs, but turn into hooligans at the sight of trains or soccer on the internet, scary stuff, more peace at sea than on land, I know, trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Road12viewpost.gif

If you are going to slander the tea boy/ lever puller (soon to be without any levers !) please try get his monicker right.....:rolleyes:

Indeed! Now who am I??
    To be quite honest, I don't give a toss who you are, this thread or board ain't about you, this thread is about Irish Traction Group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Iolaire

Despite only joining this forum in September, I think it is time to leave as it is not the type of place which I had envisaged and is ruined by a minority.

I have a genuine interest in railway preservation and trying to encourage others to become involved. As an active volunteer of the ITG, I had hoped that in providing a news source for the ITG in a strictly unofficial capacity, it may have been appreciated, especially in the light of the many untruths I have read here.

The main protagonist has essentially acheived their aim of ruining this thread. They have also managed to have me accused of being that same person by a former mod of this forum. I would like to think that the fact I have a reasonable command of English grammar, spelling and punctuation, that it would have made it obvious that I am not that person. I also believe that I have exhibited a more than genuine passion for railway preservation and the ITG unlike the protagonist.

I look forward to the re-run of the diesel gala at Downpatrick on 18th November and will perhaps, see some of you there. Remember the ITG is on twitter @The_ITG and on facebook www.facebook.com/IrishTractionGroup. If you want genuine information, that is where you will find it. Unfortunately, the ITG account on the forum has been banned which will please some.

Given the ITG is a charity and its work is undertaken by volunteers (for the avoidance of ambiguity, this means we receive no pay for giving up our free time) I find it unfathomable why some people think we warrant the abuse such as is posted here. Sadly this abuse is not restricted to the ITG and I have seen similar remarks relating to the various preservation groups across the island, both here and on other forums. All I can say is that it is a great pity that these people are unable to expend their time and energy on anything constructive.

I wish I could say it's been a pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

shamwari

Is it just me or is it the same faction fighting going on here which blighted IRN? Come to think of it, is / are the same individual(s) involved too?

Yes. Mind you, that site's moderators are of questionable parentage and are no loss to humanity. (Could'nt resist getting a sly jab in at them as they 'progress looking forward, hehehe)

dermo88 wrote: »
    shamwari

Yes. Mind you, that site's moderators are of questionable parentage and are no loss to humanity. (Could'nt resist getting a sly jab in at them as they 'progress looking forward, hehehe)

I forgot you got turfed off there too. Still, time heals...

It does shamwari. Did you get an extradition warrant as well? And please, may I ask - not be so patronising to say 'time heals'. If that site is ever to do a 'Lazarus' job, these bans need to be revoked and old members allowed back. There needs to be an amnesty. I sincerely believe there are many here who would be happy to help that happen.

I got on pretty well with Aidan Brosnan who was also a founder member of Platform11 which became railusers.ie back in 2002 when the first closure threats were made against Limerick Jctn-Rosslare and Limerick-Ballybrophy which galvanised people into action. So theres a history behind it.

As regards the bitching and sniping here of late, there has been a welcome surge of members on boards.ie. But with that, comes a small troublemaking element, which I recall dealing with between May and September 2007 on another site. What I do know about these troublemakers is that they are not particularly intelligent, a little bit 'eccentric' and have a bit too much time on their hands after getting their redundancy check, are bitter and want to take it out on us as a group here.

Lets just sit back and watch them make fools of themselves. Road12, Railway Worker and possibly one other (edited to remove innocent name) are the tip of the iceberg. It should take 4 months, so I hope Victor can hang in there. It would be a grave pity if we saw a return to the excessive moderation seen here for a 2 year period ending in February 2012....meanwhile I hope I have'nt pissed off Victor by explaining or hinting at the carry-on.

Meanwhile, we'll probably see more words and phrases get banned for being sensitive, as the railway Taliban start throwing their toys from the pram. Just remember, the Devil makes work for idle hands, so for the term 'wankpot' to be used (made me laugh a bit), is .....shall I say, rather....ironic. A bit more acceptance, a thicker skin would go a long way with some of the enthusiasts. If the names of people and a type of sandwich are sensitive words, I have advice.

Live and let live. I can be just as guilty of being sarcastic, provocative, rude and obnoxious from time to time. I'm trying to tone it down though. But when I see a troll or a double poster....I have to learn to keep my mouth shut and just report it directly to the moderator, rather than confront it directly. Which is a hard habit for me. I'm no angel and I'm the first to admit my faults.

It would be nice to get to the bottom of the intrigue, the subterfuge and find out who is causing it. But again, I'm a bit more pragmatic than before. It won't make a difference to my daily life beyond curing curiosity. It won't solve problems, and make people feel better. It would be more of an exercise in pointless gossip.

Whoever is behind this has an aim. I believe it is a malicious aim at provoking a litigious comment, at which point they will then attack boards.ie itself. This was their modus operandi with IRN in May-September 2007, and its their aim again. Its only a matter of when this happens with this character.

Consequently we are in 'Heads they win, tails we lose', a double jeopardy if ever there was one. And I don't want a ban, because its damn inconvenient to go searching for old posts in a forum I can't see. So.....I'll try my best to zip it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I am so happy not to be involved in any railway group of any description. I do moan a bit about failings of Irish rail but only because those failings are so numerous and often quite unnecessary.

As for the wannabe train drivers and wannabe fat controllers and restoration nuts etc whether in the north or scattered around the republic, there is no point arguing over something as small as Irish railways and its heritage, just get along and get on with what needs to be done and if you disagree with those in charge of your little group then just put yourself forward as leader at the next AGM.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

very very disapointed by the behaviour of certain members on this forum, we all should be trying to make this as informative place, but its a place where certain people have to get personal and fight amongst one another, primary school stuff. god help victor the moderator having to be the "teacher" controlling a rowdy punch of keyboard ninjas

• Advertisement

I dont see why my name was brought up in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Oh please just consign this thread to Davy Jones Locker or somehow put it out of its misery.

Oh please just consign this thread to Davy Jones Locker or somehow put it out of its misery.

Yes i agree with gobnaitolunacy just remove the thread or lock it .

I am getting some blame here as being some person else other than myself , well i am Danny Grey like i always said i live in Wicklow .

KEEP MY NAME OUT OF FURTHER DISCUSSIONS PLEASE

THANK YOU

I did say 'possibly' - notice the use of the conditional tense, so my apologies. I have edited out your name accordingly DG.

1. There are 'buttons' which cause a bit of rile. Phrases such as Chicken Dinner, Tarquin, Nigel etc, are regarded as sarcastic terms of abuse. My view is that it is used as a 'weapon' to remove a poster people disagree with by reporting to a moderator(s).
    2. By contrast, the rural-urban divide. Two items which cause controversy are the infamous Western Rail Corridor and a proposal for a railway to Donegal. You could debate these in a pub and have a great time with like minded euthusiasts where banter will fly, but on the Internet, its a different ball game. Then of course, the urban rail advocates, such as myself. I see a role for InterCity but regional lines are struggling badly, and my inner paranoid conspiracy theorist believes that these were designed to fail from Day one.
    3. Its nice to see some CIE employees come here and explain the problems they are under. Understanding is a great way to get towards an accomodation. Many of us will never see eye to eye. There are loyalties, and also, with the dire economic climate, fears for the future.
    4. Its got informative, but theres a hell of a lot of theoretical know it alls. I was one of the worst for that.
    5. Preservation groups are fragmented. For a country of <4 Million people, the largest are the RPSI. There is also the ITG, and that struggles to an extent because maintaining a Diesel is a more technically intense field of expertise. Steam causes more interest, but the volunteer base with time, money and expertise to spare is very small, and there are petty fiefdoms at work somewhere which I don't know much about, nor wish to.
    6. Someone wants to provoke litigation. Don't know who, but we're dancing around the poles waiting for someone to fire that silly legal letter. Something again, which I have a grave contempt for. They might want an easy 10K settlement.
    7. The classroom analogy is apt. We had a moderator here before who was hard as nails (Chris). There is one other moderator who could be drafted to support Victor, and hes pretty anti-rail. We don't want him around to control the classroom.

Regards

Have run out of fcuks to give, I really have. Glad I sleep soundly at night

dermo88 wrote: »
    It does shamwari. Did you get an extradition warrant as well? And please, may I ask - not be so patronising to say 'time heals'. If that site is ever to do a 'Lazarus' job, these bans need to be revoked and old members allowed back. There needs to be an amnesty. I sincerely believe there are many here who would be happy to help that happen.
    Alas Dermo I never applied to join IRN. By all accounts it's locked down now,but even when open, had decent folk and trouble makers with the latter deterring me from applying to join. I did enjoy reading it and for example, their coverage of the Malahide Viaduct reinstatement was unmatched. No other site I know of covered it to their extent with daily photo's and commentary throughout. In fact, I'd say that's probably one of the definitive accounts of that work.

Moving forward, I mean, people were banned over there, came here, and suffered the same fate again. If the problems moves with that person from IRN to here, does that not vindicate the actions of the mods on IRN in banning that person? Equally, being banned in both locations means any hope of an amnesty is somewhat forelorn, especially when you have described the people you expect that amnesty to issue from as being of "questionable parentage and are no loss to humanity" Methinks you're chance of an amnesty are not great at all....and that's not their fault either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Goodness knows Dermot; IRN is a site you abhor so much yet you lament it as if it was your first born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Goodness knows Dermot; IRN is a site you abhor so much yet you lament it as if it was your first born.
    Ah like the parent of a mass murderer visiting their offspring in the joy each and every week?

I feel quite hurt at being left out of the troublemakers 'hall of fame' ! I banned myself out of both RUI and IRN - still have the relevant emails filed - I was tempted to post them here but probably wise to keep my powder dry. :D

I feel quite hurt at being left out of the troublemakers 'hall of fame' ! I banned myself out of both RUI and IRN - :D
    At least JD, you got to ban yourself, I couldnd even become a member, applyed many months ago to join IRN but without success, you become a member then ban yourself, now feeling hurt, Iv no sympathy, you'll have to find another shoulder to cry on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement