Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Carlow for 8 Months

Options
  • 30-10-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I'm going to be moving to Carlow in January for 8 months, I'll be starting work above in MSD and I was just looking for recommendations for accommodation for above there? I don't drive so it would be walking distance but like I said, advice and recommendations welcome! :)

I'm heading up on my own, I know 1 other person from carlow, but they don't live there anymore - any tips on where to go out/do/see/not see while there??

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

MSD is out the Dublin road, you might like to acquire a bike?
    There are no estates too close.Castleoaks would be nearest,I think or else
    somewhere like The Downs in Pollerton, a bit further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah Pollerton or Dublin Road would be handiest for you and you could cycle out there easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nomunnnofun

The Fairways in pollerton is closer again ( 5 minute walk ) and is a pretty nice estate (60 houses). I live there myself. Are you looking to rent a house or a room? Think there is a 3 bed house for rent there at the moment if you check it out. It's about 30 minutes walk to town centre though so not sure if you'd like to be a bit closer to town. Nice pubs are Carpe Diem, The Med, Barracks, Scraggs, Tavern :) All depends what you are looking for really. There is an 8 screen cinema, a few good restaurants ( Tapas bar, Lemongrass, Seven Oaks, Lennons)
    GB Shaw theatre and visual Arts hall. Plenty other stuff to do. Loads of sports clubs and gyms to pick from.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭OrangeVarnish

MSD is out the Dublin road, you might like to acquire a bike?
    There are no estates too close.Castleoaks would be nearest,I think or else
    somewhere like The Downs in Pollerton, a bit further away.
    fits wrote: »
    Yeah Pollerton or Dublin Road would be handiest for you and you could cycle out there easily enough.

Okay, thanks! I'm not the best balance wise, but hey - if I need a bike I'll purchase one.....maybe!!!
    The Fairways in pollerton is closer again ( 5 minute walk ) and is a pretty nice estate (60 houses). I live there myself. Are you looking to rent a house or a room? Think there is a 3 bed house for rent there at the moment if you check it out. It's about 30 minutes walk to town centre though so not sure if you'd like to be a bit closer to town. Nice pubs are Carpe Diem, The Med, Barracks, Scraggs, Tavern :) All depends what you are looking for really. There is an 8 screen cinema, a few good restaurants ( Tapas bar, Lemongrass, Seven Oaks, Lennons)
    GB Shaw theatre and visual Arts hall. Plenty other stuff to do. Loads of sports clubs and gyms to pick from.

If that is walking distance I would be a bit more interested, and its a room I would be looking to rent, what are prices like up there??? I'm moving up alone so don't fully know the story yet!
    Thanks for all the other information too, really appreciate it! Just trying to sort stuff out this end and I'm really looking forward to Carlow too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If that is walking distance I would be a bit more interested
    According to Google Maps it's about 1.5km from the Fairways to MSD, so it's one heck of a fast walk (18km/h). A 10-15 minute walk door to door is more realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 2sweetpeas

MSD is a few kms from Carlow town on what was until the motorway was built a few years ago, the main Waterford-Carlow-Dublin Road. As far as I know it's only hard shoulder, not much path. I wouldn't fancy walking out there each day.
    Castleoaks, or the Fairways are the closest, but still a fair walk! Look at daft.ie, myhome.ie etc for rent, but I would guess about 450 - 500 euro pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You'd be looking at €600 to €650 in the Fairways.

Advertisement