Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling house - change your mind?

Options
  • 30-10-2012 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I have a family member who is currently selling their home and signed up with a local agent to sell it. Now 3 weeks in this person has changed their mind and no longer wants to sell. Could there be any issue with the agent if they just phone up and say they don't want to sell anymore? I ask because I recall they had to sign a contract saying the agent had exclusive rights to attempt to sell the property for 12 weeks. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,797 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It really does depend on the contract. At the very least, if they haven't paid advertising fees yet they will be expected to pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I ask because I recall they had to sign a contract saying the agent had exclusive rights to attempt to sell the property for 12 weeks.
    Pretty sure this meant that they couldn't sell it themselves within the first 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭msbrobe

I would not have an issue with this. They should contact the EA and let them know the position. As previous poster said, there may be adverising expenses to be paid if they have not already done so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

The easiest thing to do would be to wait out the three weeks. If they don't they could be sued for fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Thanks for the advise! EA was cool about it, so no issues :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement