Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a shed with pallets

• 30-10-2012 5:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

I'm about to attempt to build a shed/worksop using only pallets. I don't know anything about this type of construction and I'm a complete novice to building.
    But if anyone can help me with my build questions, I'd be eternally grateful. I'm just worried about connecting the walls to the base. And what or how is the most secure way to do it. I'm doing this all on the cheap and with handsaws and a jigsaw. I've looked at tons of other pallet shed builds online and none of them really explain how to get this part done effectively and securely.

Any help or tips would be hugely appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Don't be worrying about how to fix walls to the base -get a bag of 4"/100mm round head nails and skew-nail them down.Because you are going through the grain at an angle you'll find that the nails will bend here and there, especially due to the restricted access......this can be avoided buy using cheap cordless drill to make pilot holes first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Cool I'll do that thanks man.
    Got 30 delivered just there. They're a bit small, 30x37, but have a cool lip on them that'll be handy for locking corners together. I'll have to get more off the guy bit it'll come together quickly hopefully:)

After much digging and leveling and redigging and relevelling, I got my floor down. Wanted to go two more to the right but the back wall has a buttress in the way. Might come two more out. Guess the dirty part is over and the really hard parts about to start. Now just have to learn about fitting doors and windows and slopes on roofs.
    9A0DC322-2C57-475C-8E59-947FA18642FC-771-0000004A56AB45FF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭hughowen

Love to do that as well, but the first thing that gets me from that picture is that you are risking the shed sinking where the blocks are. With all the rain that we get here it may only be a matter of time....?

hughowen wrote: »
    Love to do that as well, but the first thing that gets me from that picture is that you are risking the shed sinking where the blocks are. With all the rain that we get here it may only be a matter of time....?

Yeah I can't afford any concrete so I'm gonna throw down some gravel under the bricks and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

If you are going to 'risk it' without concrete under the blocks, at least dig down a minimum of 300mm and build up with blocks. If you build the blocks off the topsoil you are just taking the pi$$ and asking for it to collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

David never heard of this before can you keep uploading the pics.Very intresting

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you build a base like you would for a decking on posts concreted into the ground it should do the job, you can get bags of premixed concrete in B&Q for around €5 so it won't cost the earth.

Oh wow I'll look into that thanks.
    Can't work on it til after Xmas but I'll be back with pics for sure :) thanks for the advice lads. I'll make it solid as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

• Advertisement

Yeah I've been doing some stuff of my own :)
    boards.ie/thread/2056756031?page=1#post_81783980

Advertisement