Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching jobs in ireland - NQT/PGCE advice

• 30-10-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I am currently doing my NQT year in a school in the UK after completing my PGCE this July just gone. My hope is to complete this NQT year and return to Ireland next July.

I'm teaching Business Studies, ICT, PSHE (CSPE) and Politics & General Studies. I have 8 years industry experience, primarily in banking, and I have experience coaching sports to underage levels.

I suppose what I'm wondering is:
    · Are there actually any jobs in Ireland? (press make out like there are none.)
    · If so, where would I be most likely to find work? Dublin (I would assume)? Cork? Louth?
    · Is it primarily new entrants that are finding it most difficult? (After my NQT would I still be in the same boat?)
    · How is the PGCE qualification perceived in Ireland?
    · Is there an advantage to being a male teacher applying for teaching jobs in Ireland?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

There are tons of threads in this forum so you really should read back. However to answer your questions briefly:

1. No there are few to no jobs in Ireland. Permanent positions do not exist anymore except for maybe one or two. Contracts are anything from 2-22 hours (22 being full time teaching contact hours) and most are on the lower end of the scale. The jobs situation is atrocious and getting worse year on year.
    2. Its really a matter of opinion. The urban centres are probably more likely purely because of the difference in the number of schools you would be within commuting distance of.
    3. No its not just new entrants. I am four years qualified so would not be an NQT and am still way off a CID. Teachers with many years of experience are out of work or being redeployed to different schools.
    4. I don't know anything about this
    5. Not that I know of, maybe there was at primary level in the past but principals now have the pick of the cream of teachers so doubtful it has much impact.

One you didn't mention is you only have one state exam subject meaning you will find it very very difficult to get anything near a full time job. There is also an oversupply of Business teachers in Ireland and has been for several years. There has been a restriction on the numbers of business teachers allowed to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 flusty

Thanks for your advice Musicmental85.

Advertisement