Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's turning fast that mostly causes a lag. I just hate turning settings down :)

As for the game itself. I think I'll need to sit and watch the tutorials cos I have the foggiest with what's going on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

It's turning fast that mostly causes a lag. I just hate turning settings down :)

As for the game itself. I think I'll need to sit and watch the tutorials cos I have the foggiest with what's going on :)

I haven't played the new one yet, but loved the old. On the marine side, you have to collect resources to get better stuff and bigger guns. Scattered around the map are resource nodes (you'll see them on your minimap), the commander places a resource collector on one of these, you build it.
    The alien side are also trying to grab resource nodes (the same ones the marines want) which give them more resources to get new hives and access higher more vicious lifeforms - in order to overrun the marines.

The original is the best game I've ever played bar none, 3 hour titantic struggles, 10 minute shotgun rushes, hearing people yelling down the mic getting cut off and surrounded, one good fade turning the whole game around, no two games are the same and the marine side can have the best commander in the world, if the marines don't listen to him and start wandering off, the team gets torn to pieces. I haven't had a chance to play the sequel, but most are saying its very close to the original, if that's any way the case, then it should be just as good, if not better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Big fan of the original, might pick this up after a while when I get some feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

If you're a fan of the original, as long as you like the tried and trusted formula then you'll love this.

It plays great. I'm going to wait a few days for the general playerbase to learn the game however. As I said earlier, my first few games were very frustrating as literally everyone of my teammates didn't have a clue what to do.

In one game we actually had an excellent commander and I naively thought we were in for a good game but it ended up him on voice comms trying to sort out the chaos and me trying to push the hive on my own. Didn't really work!! :p

Also Jetpack + flamethrower = epic win!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Big Knox wrote: »
    If you're a fan of the original, as long as you like the tried and trusted formula then you'll love this.

It plays great. I'm going to wait a few days for the general playerbase to learn the game however. As I said earlier, my first few games were very frustrating as literally everyone of my teammates didn't have a clue what to do.

In one game we actually had an excellent commander and I naively thought we were in for a good game but it ended up him on voice comms trying to sort out the chaos and me trying to push the hive on my own. Didn't really work!! :p

Also Jetpack + flamethrower = epic win!! :pac:

Sounds like your the one who didn't know what they were doing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

gief shotgun commander!
    *splat*
    err, can I have another one?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Grimebox wrote: »
    Sounds like your the one who didn't know what they were doing :pac:

That's obviously not what I was trying to do from the start. But after 45 minutes of trying to build and hold secondary bases on my own and push back the infestation without support I realised the game was going nowhere and went commando on the hive. :p

Having said that I still need to learn a lot about the game, I wouldn't touch the commander role as I would be terrible and I'm not great with the Aliens yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Group created here http://steamcommunity.com/groups/boardsNS2 so we can all join and add etc.

Also, we could use the boards.ie TS located at "eurots1.gameservers.com:9107"

I'll be up for a game later if anyone else is

That group is invite only

That group is invite only

When you click the link it will bring to a website, you wont be logged in, so it will show invite only.

Search through your steam, or pop up your steam name here, it is Public.

Edit : I seen you've found and managed to join :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Got a gifted a game code for this last night. Surprised at how much of a system hog it is, had to lower settings :( as 40 FPS on ultra just didnt cut it. Like it alot otherwise so far. Got to grips with how to play as the marines then i play one game as an Aliens and im totally lost :o Plus it seems having a good commander can make or break your team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Any more gift codes floating around? Id love one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Got a gifted a game code for this last night. Surprised at how much of a system hog it is, had to lower settings :( as 40 FPS on ultra just didnt cut it. Like it alot otherwise so far. Got to grips with how to play as the marines then i play one game as an Aliens and im totally lost :o Plus it seems having a good commander can make or break your team.

When I first played it I thought wow this is super smooth, they have done a great job as this game engine was built from scratch by one guy.
    Then I found out it was a cpu hog with very poor gpu usage. I have a i5 overclocked to 4.4 ghz so I now know many other people will not have the same experience as me :(

Dcully wrote: »
    Any more gift codes floating around? Id love one :)

Same as this..! :P cheeky cheeky ;)

So much easier being marines, everyone just picks them.
    Awfully frustrating as Aliens I have to say,,,

Seems to just get to late game, then the marines stroll in with 2-4 Exos, and crush the enemy.

And sometimes the map just ends, with no indication as to why one team or the other won/lost. I've been on the winning team and not known why

The win rate was released for the first two days, it's very close to 50/50, but they're still going to have to make a lot of small balance changes. Destroying commanders chairs and hives is key to winning the game. The marines can be all tooled up in exosuits and a small flock of skulks can run into main base and take the whole place down. Haven't played much of the new game, but have already had two total turn-arounds, alien-vision is so much better than the original, every life-form has such a high potential skill-ceiling, one good lerk yesterday definitely saved us more than once.

Well I'll playing this game for at least the next year. RIP social life

God I wub this game. What I find nice is I like both sides just as much, blinking into a base and causing wreck with a fade is just as much fun as spamming grenades.

However, if anyone has some general tips for build queues for both Marines and Aliens I'd be obliged. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at comming but I've no real clue what should go where and in what order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Looking to trade a DOTA 2 key for Natural Selection key

Holla if anyone wants to trade (PM)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

SeantheMan wrote: »
    So much easier being marines, everyone just picks them.
    Awfully frustrating as Aliens I have to say,,,

I think everyone feels like this at first, I know I did. But I'm actually enjoying Alien more right now, marines are so slow! :)
    My win/lose ratio is close to 50/50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

This is the first time I've heard of this, but it looks amazing.

I love fps games and think I'll have to pick this up over the weekend.

Hopefully it runs okay on my machine, that's a real killer for me.

I'll join the boards groups when I get it up and running.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    This is the first time I've heard of this, but it looks amazing.

I love fps games and think I'll have to pick this up over the weekend.

Hopefully it runs okay on my machine, that's a real killer for me.

I'll join the boards groups when I get it up and running.

Definitely get it. Most fun I've had in a long time.

The only complaint I'll level at the game is that it can be obvious when one team simply won't win ie they're down to one base but it can take an absolute age for the enemy to finish them off. I can't help but think some sort of timer at this point would help finish things up quicker.

Definitely get it. Most fun I've had in a long time.

The only complaint I'll level at the game is that it can be obvious when one team simply won't win ie they're down to one base but it can take an absolute age for the enemy to finish them off. I can't help but think some sort of timer at this point would help finish things up quicker.

Completely agree. There needs to be a in game voting system implemented for this and kicking afk's. As marine you can sell the infantry portals to end the game quickly

Is there a way to stop it refreshing server list ?

Like when you see a decent server scroll by..or do you need to wait for the whole thing to refresh

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Is there a way to stop it refreshing server list ?

Like when you see a decent server scroll by..or do you need to wait for the whole thing to refresh

Filter out the empty and full, server percentage 90+ and max ping 100 should refresh much more slowly, easier to pick a server

Other random stuff

As alien
    -Turn on flashlight (F) for predator vision, an absolute must
    -Parasite a marine using (2), knocks off enough health you can kill him in two bites
    -If lost, go with other skulks, hunting in packs is best.
    -As a skulk, the key is to get in close to the marines, once in close, stay at their ankles, circling and aim the bites. Once you get the hang of this, it's addictive. Jumping off walls gives a nice speed boost.
    -Gorges are support creatures, healing, spitting from a distance, glooping up entrances
    -Lerks are support until you get handy enough, then try fly-bys biting marines
    -Fades are blink in, hit, blink out. They are not strong units, so don't hang around. Once you get the hang of it, you can stay in among the marines for longer, blinking around also causes them to run out of ammo quick
    -Onos are big but not invincible, ask the alien commander for "stomp" as soon as the 3rd hive is done, then you can stun all the marines and gore them on the ground
    -Jump in as alien commander, try it out, if you don't know what to do, then start dropping cysts all the way to resource nodes and drop resource collectors on them (helps everyone get lots of res for lifeforms)

As marine
    -Stay in groups of two, if one builds, then the other checks those corners.
    -Short controlled bursts, seriously.
    -Unless you have flame thrower or grenades, use the knife to kill structures, its surprisingly fast and doesn't cost ammo
    -Keep an eye on main base, aliens often try skulk rushes to cut the power man
    -Whatever you're doing, do it fast, have to keep pressure on the alien team.

As marine commander
    -Don't be afraid of the darkness, order marines out of the base, if in doubt capture resource nodes, push out. A turtling commander hands too much breathing space to the aliens. Time is an important resource. The longer the aliens have, the more powerful they get.
    -If you have a microphone, use it, tell the marines you are new, and they should help you. Stay calm, don't get angry, it's psychological, once you "earn" their respect then the marines are more responsive, I managed to get a team of useless aimers to do 4 separate hive rushes with no upgrades or fancy weapons, in each case everyone went and we took down the hive 4 times (still lost though)

-If you have no idea what do, try these simple examples

--1 armory, 2nd infantry portal, observatory, research phase gates, drop phase gates to take over the map

--1 armory, 2nd infantry portal, arms lab, upgrade armor 1 first, then get weapons upgrades after that, unlock shotguns at the armory, kill alien resource nodes and shotgun rush hives

--1 armory, 2nd infantry portal, get to an untaken hive location, secure it, drop turrets, and move onto the next.

--Check unknownworlds forum for nice tutorials and commanding guides

Stingerbar any idea how I'd go about finding a team for this game? I'm already sick of playing public. Nothing annoys me more than a ****ty commander. Some guy dropped a robo at the start so he could build MAC's, so he could build and repair. I tried to explain in as polite a manner as I could that that is a complete waste at the very start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The single worst thing i see on Marine play is they grab a number of Exo's and fail to assign welders to it, 3 skulks can destroy them in a few minutes and then people whine.

Stev_o wrote: »
    The single worst thing i see on Marine play is they grab a number of Exo's and fail to assign welders to it, 3 skulks can destroy them in a few minutes and then people whine.

Or exos just going off on their own thinking they're rambo

Stingerbar any idea how I'd go about finding a team for this game? I'm already sick of playing public. Nothing annoys me more than a ****ty commander. Some guy dropped a robo at the start so he could build MAC's, so he could build and repair. I tried to explain in as polite a manner as I could that that is a complete waste at the very start.

They have "gathers" from MIRC, not sure with channel, but probbably its guys from the ESL league, so standards are very high. Otherwise join a named server, I have had several decent public games because there was a good crowd on a particular clan server, all on comms, nice level of teamplay. In the old game I just used to add these to favorites - not sure if we can do this in the new game.
    Or you can go to the unknownworld forums and check the clan subforum.
    So far my games have had no crap commanders surprisingly, all have either been competant to very good

• Advertisement

did I read correctly that theres an alien commander now too?

Advertisement