Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying expensive things for a "collection".

• 30-10-2012 7:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

I've never understood how people can spend so much money for an antique or painting or book, even some computer games. Not to enjoy, but just to "have".

What's the point? They're just going to sit there. Who cares if something was made during the first Chinese dynasty, it belongs in a museum. Are you going to sleep better because you know that they're there? Is it going to make for interesting conversation for you, where you can pretend that it somehow makes you superior for owning them? What if nobody thought something was worth any value, would you relegate it to the attic then because it's not "valuable"?

And are you really going to benefit that much from looking at them? That's what paintings were originally for - looking at and enjoying. That was before the days of photographs and computers. You can look at any painting you want on a computer now for free.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Is this thread just because you don't understand the concept of having a collection of things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you're not a collector, you'll never understand.

Now excuse me, I've to go and marvel at my rare videogames and artwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Going to add this thread to my collection of crap threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I collect people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I collect people who collect people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Why don't you start a collection of crisp packets? They're quite cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I collect people who collect people.
    I collect people like you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Is it going to make for interesting conversation for you, where you can pretend that it somehow makes you superior for owning them?

Interesting conversation if the other person is interested maybe, but that's not why most people would collect things.

As for superiority, you'll get people who collect stuff as a way of showing off wealth yes, but most people who collect things aren't thinking that way.

It's just nice to have nice things and to keep them nicely. And it's nice to have stuff that stimulates your imagination.

You say that they belong in a museum, but I'm guessing you're the sort of person who finds museums generally pretty boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Because others enjoy some things that you don't. It doesn't have to be rationalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I'd imagine for some people that are super rich it might be more a value thing, as in they'd be able to tell you how much each piece cost. For regular folk though it's just an accomplishment, something to enjoy and use. A DVD collection for example.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Why don't you start a collection of crisp packets? They're quite cheap.

They start cheap. But then you get to a point where you want that original Mr Tayto concept art and you're back into big money again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

That Andy Warhol piece with the Tayto packets. That'd be worth a few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I collect "thanks".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I've never understood how people can spend so much money for an antique or painting or book, even some computer games. Not to enjoy, but just to "have".

What's the point? They're just going to sit there. Who cares if something was made during the first Chinese dynasty, it belongs in a museum. Are you going to sleep better because you know that they're there? Is it going to make for interesting conversation for you, where you can pretend that it somehow makes you superior for owning them? What if nobody thought something was worth any value, would you relegate it to the attic then because it's not "valuable"?

And are you really going to benefit that much from looking at them? That's what paintings were originally for - looking at and enjoying. That was before the days of photographs and computers. You can look at any painting you want on a computer now for free.

It's not quite the same as owning something though. I wouldn't buy something to own and hide it from the world. I think if you're going to spend the spondoodles on something, you have to enjoy it.

Classic cars for eg :) When I get a chance / hear about them, I go to vintage and classic car meets. If you buy something like that you get to own a bit of history, and allow others to enjoy them too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You can look at any painting you want on a computer now for free.

In that case, why would you go to a concert? You can download the mp3. Why would you go to the ballet. You can watch it on youtube. Why go to a GAA match, watch it on RTE.

Seems like a lot of life you are missing out on.

kincsem wrote: »
    I collect "thanks".

How's that working for ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

o1s1n wrote: »
    They start cheap. But then you get to a point where you want that original Mr Tayto concept art and you're back into big money again!

I have an extensive collection of 'Tayto Crisps' packets, from the past four decades.
    My 'King Crisps' collection is slightly more selective, though I do possess some 'first edition' packets from the late 70's.
    However, my real interest is in locating the elusive 'missing r' 'Perri Crisps' pack from November/December 1971.
    As most of you will know, the much sought after 'PERI CRISPS' - even seeing it written down gives me goose bumps - was first spotted by a 8 year old Dublin boy - who travelled with his family to run amok for the summer with hundreds of his fellow Dubliners - in the picturesque village of Kilmuckridge.
    Pale Blue in colour, the treasured salt 'n' vinegar pack was stolen during a rare public viewing in Tubercurry Co.Sligo on the 6th of January 1972.

Any information on the 'missing 'r' Perri Pack will be handsomely rewarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

got any Crun-chos?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

MadsL wrote: »
    In that case, why would you go to a concert? You can download the mp3. Why would you go to the ballet. You can watch it on youtube. Why go to a GAA match, watch it on RTE.

I agree, I've never understood those things either, apart from the ballet maybe. In some ways you have much better seats in your own living room, and better singing/sound quality with the mp3. Ballet might be a little different since you're closer and what you hear/see at the ballet is all designed for the actual audience there. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the very high ticket prices.

When you buy a piece of current media like a DVD or CD you're supporting the artists, they wouldn't exist if people didn't. I'm not sure how/why anyone would want to support a dead painter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

exactly! now you have the idea

• Advertisement

Why would anyone want to support a dead painter?

None of the art hanging on my walls is by dead painters. All of them are alive and hopefully doing more art as a result of the proceeds.

Do you just not 'get' art?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

What's the point? They're just going to sit there. Who cares if something was made during the first Chinese dynasty, it belongs in a museum. .

You know.that most things in museums started off in private collections, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I collect jaunty hats, cos they look nice. I display them on my wall.

Ballet might be a little different since you're closer and what you hear/see at the ballet is all designed for the actual audience there. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the very high ticket prices.

:confused: Tickets at Sadlers Wells start at 12 quid. You can see The Nutcracker (again!) in Dublin this Christmas for €22.50. About the price of a cinema ticket and a medium drink and popcorn. Shockin' prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

manias keep the economy going

Master of the Universe

I agree, I've never understood those things either, apart from the ballet maybe. In some ways you have much better seats in your own living room, and better singing/sound quality with the mp3. Ballet might be a little different since you're closer and what you hear/see at the ballet is all designed for the actual audience there. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the very high ticket prices.

When you buy a piece of current media like a DVD or CD you're supporting the artists, they wouldn't exist if people didn't. I'm not sure how/why anyone would want to support a dead painter.

You think an MP3 has better sound quality than a life performance?

Are you just trolling now or do you just not know anything about music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm with you OP, collecting things is pointless. One of my mates collects national geographic. It's an obsession and he's just missing a few. It's just a pile of magazines that he never reads. Another collects beer mats. It's turned into a bag of junk and crap stuck all over a wall. It's like some sort of ocd.
    Computer games or dvd's are different cos you can watch them. Most collections make people look weird, like people who collect teddybears, toys that have to be in the original packaging, nazi memorabilia etc. You end up with a room dedicated to it and you officially become a weirdo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

i have a few dog ornaments, id love more if i had the room.

also its not realy a collection but id like a bigger fishtank. im looking for cichlids (fish) when i move.

Master of the Universe

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm with you OP, collecting things is pointless. .

Collecting things which are worth something is definitely not pointless and can make you a lot of money if you're smart about it. The antique and collectible industry is worth billions.

I collect videogames and have a very good eye for rare ones. Have bought a lot of games over the years which are very valuable now.

Saying that, I do get what you say about people with odd collections - like rooms full of teddy bears and dolls. It does seem a bit 'odd'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Dolls are no less 'odd' than video games and as strange as it might seem to the general boards public, people actually do things without being motivated by financial gains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

You can look at any painting you want on a computer now for free.

Holiday cancelled.

Just gonna Streetview my way 'round Manhattan some time in mid-December, really looking forward to it. :)

You think an MP3 has better sound quality than a life performance?

Are you just trolling now or do you just not know anything about music

Come on o1s1n, we all know that a live performance can't match one produced in a sound studio.
    Collecting things which are worth something is definitely not pointless and can make you a lot of money if you're smart about it. The antique and collectible industry is worth billions.

We're not talking about collecting something only so you can sell it off again, it's collecting something for its own sake.

Come on o1s1n, we all know that a live performance can't match one produced in a sound studio.

You don't know what an mp3 is, do you?
    We're not talking about collecting something only so you can sell it off again, it's collecting something for its own sake.

So I shouldn't hang things on my walls that I like? Seriously? Like, wtf dude? :confused:

Master of the Universe

Dolls are no less 'odd' than video games and as strange as it might seem to the general boards public, people actually do things without being motivated by financial gains.

The idea of collecting is the same no matter what you collect, but come on, a room full of lifeless dolls staring at you as you enter versus a library of videogames/dvds/music/books? - most people would find dolls a lot odder.

I'm not motivated by financial gains by the way, I enjoy what I do and it's a hobby which I've been involved in for about 20 years. I was pointing out the financial side to show that it's not 'pointless' - money can be made along with the enjoyment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Step 1: Buy rare items for your collection

Step 2: ???????????????

Step 3: Profit

• Advertisement

The idea of collecting is the same no matter what you collect, but come on, a room full of lifeless dolls staring at you as you enter versus a library of videogames/dvds/music/books? - most people would find dolls a lot odder.

I'm not motivated by financial gains by the way, I enjoy what I do and it's a hobby which I've been involved in for about 20 years. I was pointing out the financial side to show that it's not 'pointless' - money can be made along with the enjoyment.

Okay. Now tell me this o1s1n, as a mod how can you honestly defend thanking the obvious and blatant troll above yours?

Master of the Universe

An MP3 is a compressed audio track which removes parts of the song to make the filesize a lot smaller. Comparing it to a life performance is laughable.

Go and listen to an orchestra playing in the National Concert hall. Then come back and tell me your crappy compressed audio MP3 track is better.

You do realize there is another tier, collecting something for collecting with the knowledge that it will increase in value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

My girlfriend use to collect Luas tickets, she had well over 1000 of them before she threw them out.
    Whenever I bring them up she gets sad about throwing them out.

Moral of the story? Collecting things is fun and even if it seems silly to you, it may be important to them.

Master of the Universe

Okay. Now tell me this o1s1n, as a mod how can you honestly defend thanking the obvious and blatant troll above yours?

1. Way to divert the discussion with something which is completely irrelevant.

2. I am not a mod of After Hours, therefore what I do in this forum does not need to adhere to any 'standard' you may think it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You say hoarding, I say collecting. Let's call it a draw.

• Advertisement

An MP3 is a compressed audio track which removes parts of the song to make the filesize a lot smaller. Comparing it to a life performance is laughable.

Go and listen to an orchestra playing in the National Concert hall. Then come back and tell me your crappy compressed audio MP3 track is better.

I'd attribute a lot of this to crappy speakers.

BTW, I collect FLAC?

Not only do you not know what an mp3 is, you also don't know what a troll is.

Jesus, you are learning a lot in this thread.

It's not laughable at all, it's well known an mp3 with a rate of about 320kbps is indistinguishable to almost anyone to CD quality audio - most people struggle to tell the difference between 128k and 192k on the fly (without ability to compare straightaway). CD quality audio is generally regarded as being extremely close to the real thing, of course the speakers can form a bottleneck in the sound quality.

lol. Did you know that some of the compression it does is done to parts that you literally couldn't hear anyway?
    You do realize there is another tier, collecting something for collecting with the knowledge that it will increase in value?

I count that in the same boat as mercenary collecting. You don't "collect" money or gold, you just buy them or invest in them. Investing in art for that sake seems more like a kind of pyramid scheme than anything else.

Master of the Universe

CianRyan wrote: »
    I'd attribute a lot of this to crappy speakers.

BTW, I collect FLAC?

I also collect FLAC and have a lovely pair of mint Celestion Ditton 33s which I have hooked up to classic Pioneer and Sansui parts.

Sounds beautiful - still doesn't compare to a live performance though! Although obviously a live performance isn't just about sound, it's the whole atmosphere of being there with performers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Almost everyone collects something, we have a hoarding instinct. It doesn't have to be something obvious, it doesn't have to even be something tangible. Some people collect art, some collect cats and some collect Steam achievements. Some let it get out of control, like that accountant lady who collected money and was afraid to spend it.

Simples.

kowloon wrote: »
    Simples.

Some people also collect catchphrases and are afraid to let them go.

I also collect FLAC and have a lovely pair of mint Celestion Ditton 33s which I have hooked up to classic Pioneer and Sansui parts.

Sounds beautiful - still doesn't compare to a live performance though! Although obviously a live performance isn't just about sound, it's the whole atmosphere of being there with performers too.

Oooh, I envy you. I have a celestion V30 in my guitar amp but I can't afford a decent stereo set up at the minute. :(

Ah yeah, the atmosphere and the feeling of the bass compressing your chest just can't be matched for experience or of course raw acoustic stuff played with high quality instruments is a thing to behold!
    A good lossless file with a system like yours is hard to beat for clarity though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Some people also collect catchphrases and are afraid to let them go.

Had a friend who got one of the Meercat cuddly toys and wanted them all. That's why it was in my head.

Master of the Universe

It's not laughable at all, it's well known an mp3 with a rate of about 320kbps is indistinguishable to almost anyone to CD quality audio - most people struggle to tell the difference between 128k and 192k on the fly (without ability to compare straightaway). CD quality audio is generally regarded as being extremely close to the real thing, of course the speakers can form a bottleneck in the sound quality.

lol. Did you know that some of the compression it does is done to parts that you literally couldn't hear anyway?

Ah I see, so you assume we all just have crappy hifis and really don't care about music quality. I get it. I guess when you settle for such a low standard, a live music performance would probably be lost on you.
    I count that in the same boat as mercenary collecting. You don't "collect" money or gold, you just buy them or invest in them. Investing in art for that sake seems more like a kind of pyramid scheme than anything else.

Who said I invest in art for the sake of it? You're putting words in my mouth now.

I'll give you an example as I bought some art over the weekend.

I saw some art which I've wanted for years. It was going for an insanely cheap price. I bought it because -

A. - I've wanted it for years and absolutely love it.
    B. - I could more than justify the cheap price knowing I could resell it for a lot more if I ever needed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I collect shoes. Oh and I love them. But I wear them cos they're oh so fabulous :D

But my friend on the other hand, she buys them and sets them on the purpose built shelves in her fabulous shoe room (yes the shoes have their own room to reside). A complete waste, I have to say :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement