Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog neutered

• 30-10-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Doggie was done today, how long should I keep the cone on her, she looks totally fed up and im being a sap about it ! Vet says ten days ! Is it really that long ?

She also hasn't had a drink all day, will she be ok, she's just not interested ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

That's very normal not to want to drink so don't worry. Please don't take off the cone as she risks getting at the stitches and opening the wound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Yes definitely keep it on for ten days. It was horrible when my little doggy had it on! She was so depressed! But she definitely needed it. It keeps them from biting the stitches which means it heals quicker and protects from infection. The only time I took it off was to feed her. Poor thing couldn't even reach her bowl with it on!
    It's hard but you must persist, she'll be all the better for it :D
    Try giving her a bit of water in a little syringe or on your hand. She might have a small amount that way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

i would follow the vets advice, if you take off the cone she will be at the wound,she is probably still under the influence of the drugs hence the "no interest" she will have a drink and some food when she is ready, you are just being influenced by her mood, it really is in her best interest, i know how you are feeling, been through it many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Thanks guys, its good to know its not unusual for her to be so fed up.

God, the guilt though, its like she's looking at me going " wtf, i thought you loved me, how could you ? "

Will persist !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

yeah thats exactly what she is thinking, and you are there feeling guilty as sin, but you know something she doesn't, and that is you are doing the best thing for her,just remember that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Get a small box and put her bowl up on it, the cone can stop them getting their head down for a drink or food.
    My two never got cones as they never even looked at their stitches, but some dogs will rip them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

I used to take nala's cone off when i was in the room with her and keeping a close eye on her! Saw in the pet shop they had an alternative its like a blow up ring that goes around her neck unfortunatly they didn't have her size so i couldn't try it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I take cones off my dogs when I'm with them. If the cone is off I watch them constantly for any sign they're going for the wound and put it straight back on if the even sniff the area. It does require that I am constantly aware of what they're up to but I believe they heal quicker with less stress.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

nala2012 wrote: »
    Saw in the pet shop they had an alternative its like a blow up ring that goes around her neck unfortunatly they didn't have her size so i couldn't try it out.

For abdominal wounds, these inflatable collars are great. I use them all the time on rescue dogs now after spaying/castration. They aren't cheap, but they stop the dog getting at the wound and they allow the dog to behave reasonably naturally, without the trauma associated with the bloody lampshade collars... In fact, dogs usually end up using these infaltable collars as a pillow whilst they're wearing them!
    Most of the big pet shops seem to stock them these days. Small size fits terriers, Cavaliers, most Toy breeds, medium for Springer-sized dogs, large for Lab+ size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I saw them in Petmania yesterday and they were whopping expensive - €25 and upwards!

I got one ages ago from a UK website as a 'just in case' cos I hate the traditional cones too. A word of warning though - tried using it on my greyhound, who was spayed last Friday. No joy! Her nose is way too long and her neck is way too bendy - I don't think they'll work on a sighthound at all! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

They're a good bit cheaper online. I suppose you could look on them as an investment for future dogs/friend's dogs? *can find a way to justify anything :-)*
    Sighthounds! They are indeed long and bendy enough for these collars! Actually, I think a lot of bigger dogs can just about reach their stitches for a lick, but not enough to be able to have a right good root. I wouldn't mind them licking the wound a wee bit, but certainly for most dogs it does the job to protect the stitches on abdominal wounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Funnily enough, my vet recommends only using it if they are showing signs of going at the stitches as it tends to stress them out more putting it on. Licking around the wound is fine, but actually picking at them needs the cone. I haven't had to use it with either of my two dogs but then there are some temperaments where you might definitely need it!

With both of them, I left it off at first when they were always under my eye to see if they went at them, if they didn't, it didn't get put on, but if they had gone at them, then I would have used it. My latest pup was showing a bit of interest initially and I went to put it on but she got quite stressed so I stopped and she was actually fine. It's not something I would use straight off, prefer to wait and see what they do. But every vet is different as well, so best to go with his advice but also, you know your dog best as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Like Carav my vet didn't recommend the cone unless the dog was really going at the stitches a lot. She was fine without it. She licked occasionally but a sharp "ah ah" and she'd stop. but then I was with her most of the time and whatever she did at night didn't do any harm.
    It was a good week before she was back to herself energy wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Left it off all day today and she was grand, she doesn't seem to want to go near the area but keeps sort of trying to get me to rub her tummy near the area !

Going to put it on her tonight though as not sure if she'll go at them (stitches) when alone for several hours, hate the feckin thing though, can't wait till she's better !

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

When i got my dog doctored she only wore her cone for the first day. She just didn't like wearing it and she never bothered with her stitches. Every dog is different. 10 days sounds very long to me.

Advertisement