Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

74 dollars for esta?

Options
  • 30-10-2012 8:31pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Flying to newyork at the end of november,I was just on the esta sita and noticed this "Our ESTA processing fee is $74 per traveler, which includes the $14 government fee." I have to renew my esta but how come its so expensive I only payed like 10 euro or something 2 yrs ago. Am I missing something here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Its still $14 ,

what site are you going to .

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

thanks alot ted I was going to this one http://www.usatravelvisa.net/ :o

If you are travelling from Ireland, you are exempt from needing the US Visa which is what that site is for.

There is a list of what countries do not need the Visa in addition to ESTA on site under Visa Waiver Program.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ah I see,so any country that didn't sign up for the esta thing goes to that site?

Simple answer is yes.

Not sure how the list of countries eligble for solely needing ESTA is derived.

Seems to be EU / First (ish) World countries.

• Advertisement

thanks ted

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

Ah I see,so any country that didn't sign up for the esta thing goes to that site?
    No, it's one of many commercial sites trying to cash in on people's confusion around ESTA. I wouldn't go so far to call it a scam because it has a link to the official site, but their "service" has no apparent value. I've never understood why the US allow these ESTA sites to exist and interface with their systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

steve-o wrote: »
    No, it's one of many commercial sites trying to cash in on people's confusion around ESTA. I wouldn't go so far to call it a scam because it has a link to the official site, but their "service" has no apparent value.

+1 If you ever wondered how Google makes so much money, it's because they accept money from these websites to promote them high up on specific Google searches. Same applies to fake hotel websites.

Any time you search for a commercial service on Google, you need to be aware that the first few hits will be listed in a coloured (pale pink) panel, those websites have paid to be there. Go look at the first hit below that panel and you'll usually find the kosher website that you're looking for.

If it's any consolation, so-called screen scraper websites also keep Michael O'Leary awake at night because there are several travel websites which sell Ryanair tickets even thought they have no business relationship with the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

When researching, applying for or contacting someone regarding visas and ESTAs always make sure you are looking at a .gov website for the truest information. Anything else (unless specifically noted on a .gov website) might not be true to what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Do I need to get one of these. Its up for renewal. Flying to paris and than on to new york.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes. If you're an Irish passport holder and do not have a visa, and are intending to travel to the USA you must have an ESTA.

Is there any need to print off the document with your number?they have it on file anyway?

I've been to US twice & was never asked for ESTA form.

It is linked to your Passport anyways. Passport number one of the main field to fill in on form

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I've been to US twice & was never asked for ESTA form.

It is linked to your Passport anyways. Passport number one of the main field to fill in on form

ah good stuff,we printed them off the last two times but now come to think of it they never asked for it

aye did likewise, heading over on Wednesday & havent bothered this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

steve-o wrote: »
    I've never understood why the US allow these ESTA sites to exist and interface with their systems.

What can the US do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

My parents are heading to USA soon and keep getting as far as payment option but looking for $74??
    Have tried it few times for them but still can't find $14. Can someone please help?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

phkk wrote: »
    My parents are heading to USA soon and keep getting as far as payment option but looking for $74??
    Have tried it few times for them but still can't find $14. Can someone please help?

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

what link are you using ??

this is the official one

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

bluewolf wrote: »
    Great, got sorted thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Too late, got caught, it looks so official this is 2015 why has the great USA not closred down these site's ???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

red bull wrote: »
    Too late, got caught, it looks so official this is 2015 why has the great USA not closred down these site's ???????

Umm because they aren't breaking any laws? Taking advantage of lazy people not doing their research isn't against the law :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Lazy ?? Foolish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

**** closing a zombie thread *******

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement